Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

When I rented the apt. I did so because it has a room attached that has laundry hook ups. I have my own washer and dryer. Some tenants get a garage, I got the laundry. It is a seperate room attached to the outside wall of my unit. It has it's own door. Dec 27, 2008 the landlord left me a note stating do not use laundry because there is a HUGE plumbing problem. As I type this no repair has been made.

I've spoken to the landlord several times and keep getting put off for one reason or another. He's now afraid to let other tenants see my washer and dryer for fear they will complain they don't have that amenity. What recourse do I have? I'm in essence paying (rent) for something I cannot use.

Also, when I signed the initial rental contract in 2000 it was with one owner, but since then the property was sold in 2001. My rental agreement has never been updated. Do not have a contract with the new owner. Is it necessary to have a new agreement?

If anyone has an answer I sure would appreciate it if you could send me "law" or some place I can check out myself so if I need to proceed I will maybe have a leg to stand on.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,707 times
I'm by no means a lawyer but I'd say if the laundry room is in your lease then you have recourse. If not, it's a he said / she said sorta thing.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
The new landlord should have written a new lease. Your agreement at this point is month to month. The owner does not have to supply a washer and a dryer. You can put a complaint in to the landlord but don't be surprised that nothing comes of it.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM

145 posts, read 368,397 times
personally without a lease, i would tell the landlord to either fix the problem within 7 days or you will be moving out.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 12,628 times
Im a tenant in an apartment complex wich have around 7 units. we rcently have been told by two of the apartment tenants that their home is infested with roaches and bed bugs. My unit has its problem with roach infestation and my children are starting to get these bug bites all over there bodies what can I do to
help my neighbors and of course my babies? please help

Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfelix4u View Post
Im a tenant in an apartment complex wich have around 7 units. we rcently have been told by two of the apartment tenants that their home is infested with roaches and bed bugs. My unit has its problem with roach infestation and my children are starting to get these bug bites all over there bodies what can I do to
Did you inform the landlord? If you did and they did nothing, file a complaint with L.A. renters board.

Untitled Document

Old 08-10-2010, 06:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfelix4u View Post
It is the responsibility of the owner to call in an exterminator to get rid of the bed bugs. It is an expensive process and must be carried out over a three week period. Any neighboring apartment should also have a barrier spray performed if they aren't yet infested with bed bugs. To prevent a re-infestation, here is what our pest control recommends...Carry a bottle of Windex with you if you plan to visit in another apartment. When you leave, and BEFORE entering your car or own apartment, spray your knees and all the way down to the bottom of your feet with Windex. Bed bugs are now being found in brand new furniture, clothng and other soft items in stores. Used clothing and furniture are also hiding bed bugs. Carry Windex in your car. Spray before entering your car or home, simple. Bed bugs itch-hike. They jump to you from others.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,628 times
Thank you all for your help and may god bless you always.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Just remember that simply moving from an apartment complex with bed bugs to a new apartment without them will NOT solve the problem. Youl will carry it with you and end up infestating another complex. If you did not sign a Bed Bug addendm at the time of signing your lease, or since then, it is the building owner's responsibility to pay the extermination fees. Many apartment complexes are now requiring new tenants to sign a bed bug disclaimer before allowing move-in, and the new tenant will be provided with a certificate from the exterminator that the apartment is bed bug free. This way, if the apartment ends up with a bed bug infestation it will be the tenan'ts responsibility to pay the $500 extermination fee for causing the problem.

So, if you have bed begs and plan to move, have your apartment and soft goods exterminated FIRST. If you go to look at apartments before the infestation is under control, do the right thing and tell the leasing agent that you are coming from a building with bed bugs. Don't be irresponsible and infest other buildings. Those little critters will be hitchhiking on your shoes and clothes when you go out anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles