Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times

Advertisements

I have been reading various websites on our situation, but I like to have lots of input. We are relocating from Northern California to the LA area. We have no idea where ti live. We have two children 4 and 1 1/2 years of age. My husband will be working in Bell, ca and my daughter will be acting and going to auditions in La/Hollywood/Burbank( I think...we are just starting this). At first we were thinking Corona so we could get a huge house, but the commute sounds bad. My children would be traveling at "after school hours" so that is probably the worst. We are a family of four, but need room for out of towner family members visiting. Our bugdet is about $2500 a month. Is it even possible for us to live in LA county or OC with a price and house size need like this. And for it to be safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,038,399 times
That commute sounds horrible. Not only is it going to be a 1.5 hour commute each way for your husband, but it will be something like 2.5 hours each way for your little 4-year-old daughter. Also, the 91 freeway is one of the most unpleasant things to drive on in the entire LA area. I speak, alas, from experience.

How about something like West Covina? You can find safe suburban living, decent sized houses, priced cheaper, with a SUBSTANTIALLY lesser commute time. The houses aren't going to be those newly-built huge things like in Corona, but your life will be so much better in daily living. Long Beach or Torrance could be another option - I am not as knowledgeable about these two, however.

Good luck!!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM

21 posts, read 72,463 times
I wish you good luck, you can read this thread I answered a young lady who wish to come move to california next year for a acting career and looking for work and apartment I hope this reply I did to her today will help you too.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...city-life.html

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,038,399 times
Here are a few random samplings from Craigslist in your price range, close enough to be reasonable. I didn't look at Culver City, but that is an option you might consider. Again, the houses are going to be small by Corona standards...

Hillside Uptown Living. All the Amenities. A beautiful, historic area (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1001795310.html - broken link)

2 bath/BEST DEAL: Front Two Story House with Bonus Room (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1001241377.html - broken link)

Large Unfurnished House for Rent - (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1000702953.html - broken link)

Beautiful 4 Bedroom House with Hardwood Floors and Granite Countertops (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/1001911790.html - broken link)

GORGEOUS HOME IN PASADENA - ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED IN MONTHLY RENT (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/apa/1001830574.html - broken link)

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,264,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirll7 View Post
I have been reading various websites on our situation, but I like to have lots of input. We are relocating from Northern California to the LA area. We have no idea where ti live. We have two children 4 and 1 1/2 years of age. My husband will be working in Bell, ca and my daughter will be acting and going to auditions in La/Hollywood/Burbank( I think...we are just starting this). At first we were thinking Corona so we could get a huge house, but the commute sounds bad. My children would be traveling at "after school hours" so that is probably the worst. We are a family of four, but need room for out of towner family members visiting. Our bugdet is about $2500 a month. Is it even possible for us to live in LA county or OC with a price and house size need like this. And for it to be safe?
Yes ,but only if your husband earns more than $200k p/a.
The kids you see on Disney are ALL the children of people in the "business".
Please stay at home and have a long and happy life,you have to be mad,bad and very dangerous to make it here and even when you do,it will not be what you dreamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles