Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 59,285 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my 5-year-old cousin to his first ever NBA game, since he's new to the sport but absolutely loves it! He doesn't have a favorite team, since he enjoys the game and players more than the teams (he has a Bryant jersey and a Davis jersey... lucky!)

So this is a question to City-Data users who've had the experience within the last year or two to go to both Clippers and Lakers games. I wouldn't ask this on an NBA board, since some egotistic "hardcore" fans might post some stupid response like "yo, go to lakers cuz they rule and clipperz suck!!!"

I want to know which team's home court and fans provide a more family-friendly atmosphere. Of course, there are good fans and bad fans for every team, but from which team's fans will I be less likely to hear swearing, or see fights?

Let me give an example with two other local teams: the Angels and the Dodgers. I took another cousin, who's 7-years-old, to a Dodgers game once. Boy, what a mistake. The fans were incredibly rude. They booed, swore, and a fight actually broke out a couple of rows above us! And they threw beer and peanuts at opposing fans; some landed on us! It was a horrible experience. I know not all Dodgers fans are like this, but I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

To redeem myself (and his love of baseball), I decided to take him to an Angels game. What a world of difference! The fans were classy, acted appropriately, and there weren't any fights. They were even respectful to opposing fans: no booing or rude comments! It was a fantastic place to enjoy a good sport without all of the negative atmosphere.

So where can I take my 5-year-old cousin to enjoy his favorite sport without having to deal with the negative atmosphere caused by fans? I've heard some bad rap about Lakers fans, I think some Celtics fans got beat up at Staples Center during the Finals. From your experience, do Clippers fans act any differently at their home games? (e.g. Angels vs. Dodgers)

Of course, good fans and bad fans are everywhere, but from your experience: which home court and home fans provide a more family-friendly atmosphere? Lakers or Clippers?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
There is not much of a difference between the Clipper fans and the Laker fans. Certainly not as much as between the Dodgers and Angels. Dodgers fans (depending on where you're seating) are like Raider fans - i.e., terrible, criminal, gang bangy types. Angels fans are more family oriented and although I LOVE my Dodgers, Angels games are much more family friendly.

For some reason, I think people seem to be just a little more "civil" at Laker games than Clippers though. But remember, you'll pay more on average for Laker tickets than Clipper tickets.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:25 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
I don't think you would have a problem with either, especially a Lakers game. The reason being is Laker games are very expensive (compared to what they used to be). When I was a kid we used to go to games at the Forum. We ate hot dogs and had a good time. However, going to game at Staples is a lot different from the Forum days. Now you can eat sushi and drink expensive wines while watching the game.

As much as I hate to say it the money has changed the crowd. Laker games have a much more high end crowd than they used to. As a result you don't see the kinds of people you see at Dodgers games or the old L.A. Raiders games. In some ways it is good. In some ways it is bad. A Lakers game at Staples Center is lively, especially if they are playing a top team. But the games at the Forum were better from a sports fan's perspective. Either way, Lakers or Clippers, I don't think you will have a problem.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Agree w/ CaliDude1 I kinda of like the rowdiness of the upper seats at Dodger stadium but closer seats can get lively, as well. I think the "passion" of sports is in direct proportion to the amount of alcohol consumed. Every baseball game get rowdy at times. I have never attended an NBA game but can't wait Laker's won again tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: