U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM

658 posts, read 1,792,238 times

Advertisements

I used to watch a lot of Sanford and Son before I moved to southern cal. anyway he used to mention El Segundo and every time there would be a laugh track . why? back then I didn't know what el segundo was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:26 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
I used to watch a lot of Sanford and Son before I moved to southern cal. anyway he used to mention El Segundo and every time there would be a laugh track . why? back then I didn't know what el segundo was

I have no idea. I used to watch that show too. I think it was supposed to be set in LA somewhere. I don't remember the laugh of El Segundo though.

(image not protected by copyright)

"...and the G stands for Get Out Of My House"

Old 01-31-2009, 07:46 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
The Sanfords were supposedly on S. Central Ave. in Watts. Why El Segundo got the laugh track treatment, I don't know. That's where my family went when we'd "go to the beach" from Inglewood in the fifties.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:49 AM

829 posts, read 2,504,518 times
Sanford and Son is my favorite show...i have the dvds and watch episodes every night...i think they reference el segundo because of it being upper class...

i used to ask the same question as well...didnt understand why...but thats the only conclusion i can come up with...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
He mentioned El Segundo because it was far away from Watts where they lived.

He would always some something like "........from here all the way to El Segundo". It said as a reference to distance, but still somewhat local. Had nothing to do with class or income of the people who live there.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,129,177 times
there's at least one instance in which fred sanford was drinking a glass of wine, and someone would ask him where he got it.

his reply?

"from the beautiful vineyards of el segundo" (slightly paraphrased), which elicited an especially loud response from the in-studio crowd and/or laugh track.

maybe i'm wrong, but i always thought the joke was that because el segundo is the site of an oil refinery and a sewage treatment plant, the city would be an especially unlikely and undesirable location for a vineyard.

also, what are the odds that a man like fred, who is of a lower socioeconomic standing and not particularly cultured, would be knowledgeable about the various wine vintages and vineyards? so it was funny to see him cite the non-existent "beautiful vineyards of el segundo" the way a true wine connoisseur would reference napa or sonoma.

never mind the fact that el segundo is actually a nice residential community for the most part. that's irrelevant for the purposes of this gag.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM

62 posts, read 200,809 times
yeah i agree with the poster above...it's called situational irony. Fred more or less confines himself in his house and is always yelling at Esther and others to stay away. there is no way that he would know about any beautiful vineyards hence there aren't any beautiful vineyards in el segundo which underscores that truth and therefore makes it funny. plus it's far away from where he lives so he wouldn't know anything about the place

Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,129,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The Sanfords were supposedly on S. Central Ave. in Watts.
that's right. and every time fred sanford mentioned that fact ("this is fred g. sanford, and i live on 9114 south central avenue"), it got a big laugh out of the crowd - probably because they thought it was funny that an african-american man living in south central would live on south central avenue, of all places.

think about it:
if you're going to make a sitcom about an old, curmudgeonly african-american man living in the watts ghetto, it only makes sense for him to live on that street.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM

213 posts, read 875,315 times
Default Reason is..........

I grew up there and remember why. He was pulled over on Main Street by the ESPD and that's the reason. It was a big deal at the time!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,999,514 times
Lots of TV and movie writers throw in random locations as a shout-out to their old hometowns that, without any context, seem kind of random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles