Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

How is it in Compton near Angeles Abbey Memorial Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM

anyone?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Why would you want to live there?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Low cost of living. The house I own in Minneapolis was purchased for 140k so it's financially straining to sell it and move into a 500k house in a more desirable area of SoCal. I live in a transitional neighborhood right now and I'm not afraid of higher crime or diverse areas.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
How is it in Compton near Angeles Abbey Memorial Park?
A dangerous and run down area. I'll leave it to you to figure out why that might be..
By all means, visit Compton, and come back here and tell us what you think of it.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM

No, its not a great area.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM

I've been there before when I visited my wife's aunt and cousin who live there. I was expecting to walk into a scene of Boyz in the Hood and that wasn't my impression at all. I could hardly tell the difference between their neighborhood and the neighborhood I was working in in Van Nuys. Geographically speaking I found Compton to be in a relatively convenient area, very close to Long Beach, Los Angeles and Anaheim.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I've been there before when I visited my wife's aunt and cousin who live there. I was expecting to walk into a scene of Boyz in the Hood and that wasn't my impression at all. I could hardly tell the difference between their neighborhood and the neighborhood I was working in in Van Nuys. Geographically speaking I found Compton to be in a relatively convenient area, very close to Long Beach, Los Angeles and Anaheim.
A lot of bad areas in LA don't look like "typical ghettos" in other cities. If you read the LA Times Homicide Blog, many of the murders take place on streets that look quite nice. I'm not saying don't move there, just make sure you know where you are... lots of gangs around there.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
You have to realize that with a lot of L.A, compton included looks are decieving...the area can look fairly nice, but it can be heavily gang populated...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM

47 posts, read 164,627 times
Check out where and how many sex offenders live in compton and the surrounding areas on the CA Attorney General's website (California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General).

City of Compton's website: City Of Compton - Home

Los Angeles Sheriffs Department handles Compton: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept. - Compton Station check out the crime stats and maps

Compton School District: Welcome to Compton Unified School District
(I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I thought this school district was taken over years ago by the Feds and/or State because it was so bad).

Main question, though....WHY would you want to come to Los Angeles when the unemployment rate is 10% and rising??? Everyone who has a job right now is thanking their lucky stars every day they get to keep on to their job. Gasoline prices are rising again...$2.27 the other day - at its highest a few months ago, I was paying close to $4.80 per gallon! Housing prices are very high, crime rate is high, unemployment high, traffic is terrible, and it's just way too crowded! You'll pay WAY more in auto insurance in CA (we're not a "no fault" like MN is). Just doesn't seem like the time to make a move like this. My opinion, come to Cali for a short vacation, but find another place to relocate (Arizona, Nevada, and Texas are all up-and-coming with not as many of the issues previously mentioned that Cali has).

Stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles