Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
so if i get a good, quite neighborhood in inglewood, stay away from the bad areas, and dont mind traffic and smog I will be fine?
again, what are you looking for ans what is important to you? Would I live in Inglewood? You have to be kidding, that does not mean it isn't acceptable to some. If you are talking Los Angeles proper and not the metro area, I would choose Eagle Rock or Los Felix depending on income.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,810 times
Default Considering relocation to LA from East Coast, looking for convenient suburb to LA for family with school aged children

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
which suburbs are the best of LA?
Hi I am considering relocating with my family including three children to LA from the Northeast, unfamiliar with suburbs of Los Angeles, CA. Any info would be helpful and apprecated. Thanks, Eric

Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger226 View Post
Hi I am considering relocating with my family including three children to LA from the Northeast, unfamiliar with suburbs of Los Angeles, CA. Any info would be helpful and apprecated. Thanks, Eric
Find a job first, then a place to live. LA is too big to do it the other way around.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanger226 View Post

We're unfamiliar with where you would be working and with your housing budget.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Also, you might have to define exactly what you're thinking of when you say "suburb" -- LA is different from the NE cities in that there isn't a dense urban core circled by progressively less dense neighborhoods. Besides budget (and whether you're renting/buying) and where you'll be working, it would help if you could also note what kind of neighborhood you want. Besides the obvious (safe, good schools, etc.), that is. Walkable? Do you need/want public transportation? Modern or older house or apartment? More stereotypically modern stereotypical "suburban" (cul-de-sacs, big box stores, etc.), or more like the inner ring "streetcar suburbs" found in many cities? The more details you can give about your situation or your wish list (and would be nice list) the more useful answers you'll get.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
I'm going to toot my own city's horn: Pasadena. It certainly has to be included in this list of best Los Angeles suburbs. I know Beverly Hills and maybe Rancho Palos Verdes have many more wealthy people if that means anything. And Santa Monica & Malibu are very cool. All the beach cities from Manhattan Beach to Hermosa offer the surf life culture. Long Beach is the largest suburb though many would not call it a suburb. Calabasas is very nice if you like oak trees and hills. And Glendale & Burbank are OK [nothing special].

Pasadena is one of LA county's older cities [not far from Mission San Gabriel] and a "winter home" for East Coast affluent going back to the late 1800's. Things like the Rose Parade show that Pasadena has been around a lot longer than any of the other suburbs except maybe Long Beach, right? There were trains & street cars from downtown LA up into Pasadena before other areas surrounding the city and the Pasadena Freeway is the oldest freeway in the U.S. [meaning it was important to downtown]. The Gold Line wasn't the first light rail in LA but it is significant than only Long Beach & Hollywood were priorities.

Pasadena has a major California university\ Caltech plus a few other small colleges & a seminary. The Pasadena City Hall rivals Beverly Hill's structure & I think it is a more impressive building than Beverly Hills city hall. Of-course the Los Angeles city hall is the most recognized. The Rose Bowl hosts great NCAA football & NFL super bowls plus occasional soccer playoffs. Many outdoor concerts of top world performers at the Rose Bowl. Old Pasadena []Old Pasadena is arguably one of the best pedestrian regions of Los Angeles. The sidewalks are too narrow however & it can be super crowded on weekend nights but I like the 4-way crosswalks. Paseo Pasadena is like the Americana without the stupid trolley cars with apartments over the stores & restaurant\ night clubs. The Pasadena Civil Auditorium has been used for major award ceremonies [Academy awards\ Emmy's, etc]. The neighborhoods in Pasadena are noted for huge trees and beautiful yards. Even the more ghetto areas [like where I live] are shaded well. San Marino is the wealthy suburb of Pasadena w/ the great Huntington Gardens. La Canada\ Altadena\ Sierra Madre\ Arcardia are interesting offshoot cities. The 8000' San Gabriel mountains start above Pasadena & are a great backdrop to Los Angeles.

On the negative side it is fairly hot during summer [low 90's] but always cools off nice after dark. Pasadena is close enough to the ocean [20 miles away] to benefit from the cooling afternoon breeze but also has worse smog than anywhere in the basin. Other than that I can't think of other negatives for Pasadena & think that Pasadena is in part why Los Angeles is so great.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM

32 posts, read 80,656 times
The 310 South Bay beach cities from Palos Verdes to Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach if you're in beach lifestyle and not on a tight budget.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I like Oxnard, but some of you may think it is too far away. lol

Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
South Bay Beach Cities.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM

99 posts, read 569,899 times
Best for what? Crime, schools, jobs, diversity, commute, architecture, income, price, house size, walking, seclusion, accessibility??? There is no all-encompassing best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles