Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM

125 posts, read 440,436 times

Advertisements

Stay in MD, or move to a hip part of D.C. if you want a more city vibe...

People are cutting back on disposable income, like fancy haircuts and the like.

I wouldn't move at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorian View Post
thank you all. I didn't know that calabasas was all jewish and i heard of ladera heights from someone who visited a while back. I am black but i like diversity. i am really looking for a nice area and i also don't want to be the only black in my neighborhood. I do all type of hair. I have a nice saving but i sure don't want to spend it all on rent while i build clientele.so i am still looking around fell free to throw in any other places..oohh the $1700 for a 2 bedroom. that's not happening
then you aren't going to find the cost of rental housing in the LA area to be to your liking. that figure is pretty typical for the more attactive parts of town, and it represents the lower end of the price spectrum for two bedroom apartments.

incidentally, there are very few apartments in ladera heights. it's a community of mostly single-family homes, with a smattering of condos and duplexes along the fringes.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:05 PM

93,228 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What about Altadena, a very mixed area close to Pasadena? Are there some nice parts of Long Beach that are mixed? What about places like Riverside, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana and Rialto?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
thank you all. I didn't know that calabasas was all jewish and i heard of ladera heights from someone who visited a while back. I am black but i like diversity. i am really looking for a nice area and i also don't want to be the only black in my neighborhood. I do all type of hair. I have a nice saving but i sure don't want to spend it all on rent while i build clientele.so i am still looking around fell free to throw in any other places..oohh the $1700 for a 2 bedroom. that's not happening
Calabasas isnt ALL Jewish (like Encino), but there is a large Jewish population there. You can try to set up shop in Woodland Hills or Tarzana. Rents are a bit cheaper.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM

32 posts, read 129,322 times
i'm also considering the riverside and san bernadino counties.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,947,317 times
Quote:
i'm also considering the riverside and san bernadino counties.
That would be a step in the wrong direction. Try the San Fernando Valley, its much much much much much much nicer than anything in SB or Riverside.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Calabasas isnt ALL Jewish (like Encino), but there is a large Jewish population there. You can try to set up shop in Woodland Hills or Tarzana. Rents are a bit cheaper.
What about the Cheviot Hills area of West L.A.? It's one of the VERY few parts of L.A. with an increasing black population (which happens to be very affluent), and undergoing a demographic shift from being almost all Jewish to being more mixed like nearby Culver City. There isn't much of a commercial district -just a few blocks on Pico between Manning and the golf course, and a shopping mall on National right by the 10 -and the rents won't be cheap, but some locals might appreciate having a black oriented hair salon close by in the neighborhood.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,765 times
Why not try the valley!

Rent may be a tad cheaper, and you may find work in one of the shops maybe on Ventura Blvd. The neighborhoods North of Ventura are still good, but changing, especially around the Van Nuys area, but South of Ventura is better.

Take a drive up Ventura (going North) starting at Lankershim (Studio City) all the way to Tarzana (which will give you a good outlook on this part of the Valley) You may find a nice studio in Encino, or Sherman Oaks that does not cost an arm and a leg if you are lucky.

Or try Beverly Hills! If you look around Doheny North of Pico ( nut not too far North)you may find something, or check out the apartments on Burton Way at Doheny, right on the corner. They may have a rental open. Nice area and of course many hair/beauty salons inthe area.

As someone has stated calabasas and Ladera are two different communities, both nice but different.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM

99 posts, read 569,918 times
Default Ladera or Calabasas

Ivorian, You're comparing apples & oranges. Ladera is like an affluent area of Brooklyn whilst Calabasas is like an affluent area of Long Island. One is more suburban-urban. The other more xurban. Calabasas is overwhelmingly white. Ladera, mostly black. Calabasas offers bigger plots of land and more for your money because it's far out, whilst Ladera is close to beaches, Hollywood. Ladera is safe, but surrounded by not-quite-as-safe environs.

Where is your job?
Do you want a bigger yard?
Does racial composition matter to you?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM

355 posts, read 1,479,078 times
It's pointless at this point - she said $1700 for renting a 2 bedroom was too much. $1700 for a 2 bedroom apartment/condo/house won't get you in any of the good neighborhoods, only borderline/marginal areas or bad areas. 10 years ago $1700 would have gotten you a very nice place or a decent mortgage in a decent area, but not at today's prices even with the economic and RE meltdown. $2000 to $3000 a month is what it takes to have a decent 2 bedroom+ place in a decent part of town. Hell in my area, 1 bed/1 bath and 1 bed/2 bath condos/apartments rent for $1600-2000 a month. 2 or 3 bed and 2/3 bath condos/apartments rent for $2200, 2500, 3000 and up. Homes, $5000 or more. And prices to actually buy are still vastly overpriced/inflated.

It really depends on what the OP is looking for though - 2 bedroom apartment, a condo, a house, or...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles