Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,164,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravesox34 View Post
Good luck with everything in Boston, Puffle!

I just recently moved to San Francisco, but lived in the Boston area and Boston itself for my entire life. I love Boston. It's a great city with a great passion and people are extremely cultured, intelligent, fun, and real. Yes they can be aggressive and to the point, but that is the beauty of an east coaster. There is no fakeness or b.s-ing. You get what you see. It's just a very different ball game in how people interact with each other when comparing the east coast and the west coast.

I completely understand why you feel at home in Boston and am very glad that you are happy in returning. I can definitely see myself going back in a couple years.
Thanks! San Fran is definetly my second favorite city. Been going there for many years. My brother went to Berkeley in the 60's and we use to hitchhike to Winterland to see concerts during the summer until he finally moved there after going to Cornell. Great times and fun city, but not Boston. I think I am a little too conservative sometimes for S.F. and definetly too much for California. Jerz hit it right on the nose on the mentality for many women in at least Southern California. Very sad indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 AM

11 posts, read 33,576 times
i have to say (in moving to LA) i am a little concerned about a few things....considering my entire life spent on the east coast.
i talk REALLY fast. i like to do things relaly quickly, dont like slow moving long lines etc etc
BUT i actually like the fake niceness that people in LA possess. Sometimes I really think that I'd rather deal with fake nice people than real a***oles. haha.
i know there will be things that i miss about the east and im sure i will make a lot of east coast friends in LA. I am concerned about the type of vanity that women of so cal supposedly possess, but I'm sure I'll deal with it.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,771,435 times
Quote:
Aprilphillyi have to say (in moving to LA) i am a little concerned about a few things....considering my entire life spent on the east coast.
i talk REALLY fast. i like to do things relaly quickly, dont like slow moving long lines etc etc
BUT i actually like the fake niceness that people in LA possess. Sometimes I really think that I'd rather deal with fake nice people than real a***oles. haha.
I know that feeling of wanting things fast and people talking slowly. When I first moved out west (20 years ago now), I was SOOOO frustrated (in Phoenix at the time) when the grocery clerks would actually comment on the food I was buying and would put the food very slllllloooooowwwwllllly into the bag: "Oh, I see you're getting pineapple today. I love pineapple. Isn't it good??" Etc. I wanted to just GRAB the food from them and throw it into the bag.

Now, I actually chit chat with the clerks -- in retrospect, I find it funny to think about. I also remember talking so fast that people would jump. But that has also slowed down. In fact, when I was back east last time, I actually found it hard to keep up -- I had actually acclimated to the west!!

Glad to hear you have a positive attitude about it! Have fun out here!!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:35 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,316,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilphilly View Post
i have to say (in moving to LA) i am a little concerned about a few things....considering my entire life spent on the east coast.
i know there will be things that i miss about the east and im sure i will make a lot of east coast friends in LA. I am concerned about the type of vanity that women of so cal supposedly possess, but I'm sure I'll deal with it.
I realised how quickly things move in L.A. when I came to Hawaii, the slowest place on earth. I also noticed the slower pace Phoenix has than some other cities. Maybe it's all the retirees. Regarding vanity, there are plenty of vain women in L.A. and quite a few who walk around looking dreadful .

Old 03-20-2007, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 33,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I realised how quickly things move in L.A. when I came to Hawaii, the slowest place on earth. I also noticed the slower pace Phoenix has than some other cities. Maybe it's all the retirees. Regarding vanity, there are plenty of vain women in L.A. and quite a few who walk around looking dreadful .
i like that. haha. i do think a slower pace may be good for some east coasters tho (including myself!!). I think a big reason why people on the east coast can be so short and rude and come off so cranky is becuase everything is so fast all the time and it makes you feel anxious. I think I'll become a much more relaxed calmer person--and in the end, I really think that's better. Lets just hope I can learn to talk a little slower. hahah.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,673,997 times
Way more 'vanity' license plates on the West Coast. You can go a while without seeing a plate in NJ/NY but in Cali, every other car's lice plate says, "look at me!"

West Coasters aren't nicer than East Coasters necessarily, they are just better at pretending they are.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Way more 'vanity' license plates on the West Coast. You can go a while without seeing a plate in NJ/NY but in Cali, every other car's lice plate says, "look at me!"

West Coasters aren't nicer than East Coasters necessarily, they are just better at pretending they are.
Unfortunetly, I think you have a point there. I think pretense is a big thing here...kind of like the slogan, never let them see you sweat. It's a shame and a hardship to not be authentic to yourself. Eventually all that falsehood turns inward and your left with you and your confusion about who you really are. Sorry, didn't plan on getting so deep here!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:43 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Unfortunetly, I think you have a point there. I think pretense is a big thing here...kind of like the slogan, never let them see you sweat. It's a shame and a hardship to not be authentic to yourself. Eventually all that falsehood turns inward and your left with you and your confusion about who you really are. Sorry, didn't plan on getting so deep here!
I think that people from So Cal specifically, are bombarded by images of the entertainment industry. I can't tell you how many people i met out here who are natives who are totally into the Oscars, movies, movies stars, gossip, who's dating who, etc. As an East Coaster, i could care less. I don't care who wins best director, but everyone out here seems to care.

With that said......the entertainment industry basically takes humanity and puts it on sale to the highest bidder. People are willing to go to great lengths to 'make it' in the entertainment industry....and, as they live out here, they see its a lot of who you know and who you.....well, you know!

Human emotions and feelings are basically used to make a dollar on the West Coast....which means people don't have as much substance out there because the movie industry, in a way, tells people that who you are as a person doesn't matter as long as you look hot, drive a nice car and get the role you auditioned for.

Back East, no one cares about that BS.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think that people from So Cal specifically, are bombarded by images of the entertainment industry. I can't tell you how many people i met out here who are natives who are totally into the Oscars, movies, movies stars, gossip, who's dating who, etc. As an East Coaster, i could care less. I don't care who wins best director, but everyone out here seems to care.

With that said......the entertainment industry basically takes humanity and puts it on sale to the highest bidder. People are willing to go to great lengths to 'make it' in the entertainment industry....and, as they live out here, they see its a lot of who you know and who you.....well, you know!

Human emotions and feelings are basically used to make a dollar on the West Coast....which means people don't have as much substance out there because the movie industry, in a way, tells people that who you are as a person doesn't matter as long as you look hot, drive a nice car and get the role you auditioned for.

Back East, no one cares about that BS.
Maybe that's why I never felt like I belonged here being born in Ny. I like to look good, am told I do, but care much more about being a good person first. Unfortunetly, the good looks gets you in the door first, personality second, at least here in LA. No wonder this is the capital of Prozac, even for doggies! I am dying to get back east!!!!! I find myself watching movies filmed back east with scenery that makes me feel like I am there. I know I am just torturing myself, but that's another site.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,757 times
Saw this written once. Thought it was a pretty good summation:

"In LA, they'll pretend they like you, even if they hate your guts.

In NYC, they'll pretend they hate your guts, even if they like you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles