Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 PM

206 posts, read 1,075,163 times

Advertisements

Is Westwood or West Hollywood the main center of social activities for young people in LA area?

Also, how are they different?

How is the traffic from these places to places like Manhattan Beach, or Thousand Oaks late in the evening, after the social activities?

There was this really good post earlier about it not being so bad in LA for new comers. I think she has found the best solution: live right in the center of social activities, commute to work during off-peak hours. This way you won't be isolated.

I am wondering: if I move to Manhattan Beach or Thousand Oaks, would it be really hard/long to drive to and back from places like Westwood or West Hollywood for social activities?

On the other hand, does Thousand Oaks have a fair amount of social activities for young people?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,835,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
On the other hand, does Thousand Oaks have a fair amount of social activities for young people?

Thanks.
Nope.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,100,014 times
Quote:
Is Westwood or West Hollywood the main center of social activities for young people in LA area?

Also, how are they different?

How is the traffic from these places to places like Manhattan Beach, or Thousand Oaks late in the evening, after the social activities?

There was this really good post earlier about it not being so bad in LA for new comers. I think she has found the best solution: live right in the center of social activities, commute to work during off-peak hours. This way you won't be isolated.

I am wondering: if I move to Manhattan Beach or Thousand Oaks, would it be really hard/long to drive to and back from places like Westwood or West Hollywood for social activities?
westwood is nearly all college students. west hollywood is largely gay, but there are still plenty of straight people as well. you don't have to live in weho though, any of the adjacent neighborhoods are just as nice and nearly as close to the sunset strip. the big clubs, if that's what you are into, are in hollywood proper which isn't too far away.

thousand oaks is a bedroom community, very family friendly. there is not much for a young person there.

manhattan beach is a very nice area and has some nice places to go out as well, but is also close to hermose beach which is much more "happening".

ultimately, you'll need to decide on where to live based on where you will be working. if i remember correctly, you'll be at ucla and in pasadena. if that is the case, west hollywood would be a good location between the two. traffic will still be terrible, but it will be a lot easier to get around than if you were commuting form manhattan beach or trying to get to pasadena from westwood.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

Thanks a lot, BrinSM. I can do a lot of the work from home and just go to ucla and pasadena a couple of times a week.

I am really picky about good air quality (for LA). Of these places which would have better air quality? Would the Hollywood hills have better air quality?

I am not so much into the club scene, but being able to meet friends easily in a cafe etc would be nice.

The kind of people I am more likely to befriend tend to be artistic and creative. Where are the most creative young people?

I am just wondering whether the Hermosa Beach is full of the wrong kind of young people for me (non-creative).

Thanks a lot.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,686,686 times
there are a million social centers for kids in LA. you just mentioned two basically.

as far as creative people, they're spread out in various areas depending on wealth. the areas im familiar with are the east arts district in long beach and surrounding downtown, naples, bluff park, and belmont shore areas. these areas have the establishments you are talking about as well

as far as air quality, stick by the beach. long beach is right on the beach. the hilly areas tend to have poorer air quality

Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,627,064 times
Other "creative young people" hotspots include Echo Park, Silver Lake, Eagle Rock, and parts of Hollywood.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,100,014 times
hermosa beach is more heavily influenced by surf culture and recent college grads than the art scene. as far as air quality, it is better the closer to the coast you are, but most places in LA proper are totally fine and you'll hardly notice the difference. the real bad air is inland towards san bernardino, which is another 30+ miles inland from downtown LA.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:28 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,032,133 times
I was going to suggest Silver Lake as well.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Thank you all, that really opens up a lot of possibilities. Thank you so much about the air quality info.

What is Silver Lake like, is it safe?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,468,000 times
Quote:
Thank you all, that really opens up a lot of possibilities. Thank you so much about the air quality info.

What is Silver Lake like, is it safe?
Normally it is. There have been some violent incidents around there lately, although some suspects have been busted recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles