Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,818 times

Advertisements

I lived in compton till i was 13 now im 27 how is compton in terms of crime from what i here from friends still there they say the area is still one of the most dangerous places in the country and thay say still has about 60 or 70 homicides compared to 90 in 1994 where it peaked the year i left. now tell me how compton is today along with the rest of south central and feel free to share experiences with the are positive or negative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
Based on my exploring and travels in the area (as wel as having friends/family there), I've noticed:

- it has calmed down dramatically, in terms of violence and just people hanging out in the street ("posted on the block").
- lots of new buildings and refurbished older ones; including many developments geared towards the working class.
- first time homeowners giving it a shot (especially in West Adams), as it becomes into a viable alternative to traditional (overpriced) neighborhoods.
- many chains that once were not there and now there; Starbucks & Jamba Juice, for example.
- increased diversity; Mexicans, Salvadorians, Guatemalans, Nicaraguense, Belizeans, Ghanians, Nigerians, hipsters, gays, etc.
- expanded grocery options -- no longer are many neighborhoods held hostage by the multitude of liquor stores and mini-marts.
- LAUSD is building 30 new schools, the bulk of these in South LA.
- lots of organic growth and neighborhood advocacy.
- expanded transit service and police presence.

OTOH...

- Racial violence (overplayed by media, though).
- Much more tagging.
- Many schools are still performing terribly.
- Many neighborhoods are still devoid of basic amenities.
- TONS of illegal immigrants (if that bothers you, that is)
- etc etc

Old 03-13-2009, 01:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
the biggest difference, is less black folk.

south central 15 years ago was brown. 25 years ago it was also brown, but not in the numbers it is now. there are def less black folk. in some areas it hasnt changed of course. but most areas have seen an increase of brown folk. even imperial courts and the other projects.

homicides are def down on the south side. even in CPT. these past couple of years they have stayed below 50 i think. but certain areas like florence and athens still see higher rates of homicide and crime. its going down and its better than the 80's or 90's, but it can still be very dangerous for young black or brown men.

the aesthetics have changed as mention by KOTH. the LAUSD building push(not in CPT) has targetted blighted areas. they have done away with mega apt complexes trying to retain as many Single Family Residneces as possible. once new shcools are built it creates a chain reaction and people want their homes to look as nice as the new school (not always the case). lost of people have cleaned up their homes and neighborhoods. the recent housing buble(which is now pretty deflated) also helped clean up the areas on the south side of LA. KOTH put that pretty well.

what is lacking is major retail. some shopping centers have opened, chains have investd in the area but its still lacking a bit. i owuld like to see more organic commerce, more mom and pop. but the financial climate makes it very hard right now. crenshaw has actually seen a lot of activity, new restaurants (not only fast food), new banks, new shops, etc etc. there is even talk about a busway or rail way going down crenshaw (the hopes are that it would connect with the purple line at wilshire, where crenshaw dies).

but all that major stuff is years and years away. in the meantime i am happy with the small changes occuring. it will take time to heal from the 80's and 90's decay of the south side. but it will happen.

im happy to stick around and see it.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM

938 posts, read 4,093,978 times
Word, yo.

The Black population is on a tremendous decline (10-15 years ago, South LA was 60% Black, now its 60% Hispanic), and I don't know it will bottom out. Blacks continue to have low birth rates and flee to faraway suburbs (Moreno Valley, Rialto, Lancaster, etc) and Southern states such as Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, but also Arizona and Nevada. Black-majority areas are become a rarity as even the most hardcore of former Black hoods (except The Greater Black Beverly Hills nexus; Ladera, Baldwin Hills/Vista, View Park, Windsor Hills, etc, which will stay Black) are awash with Mexicans, or in the process of.

Moderator cut: The whole city is losing diversity and becoming a dizzying monotony of Hispanics (with Mexicans at the helm). Not a good look.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM

177 posts, read 706,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Word, yo.

The Black population is on a tremendous decline (10-15 years ago, South LA was 60% Black, now its 60% Hispanic), and I don't know it will bottom out. Blacks continue to have low birth rates and flee to faraway suburbs (Moreno Valley, Rialto, Lancaster, etc) and Southern states such as Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, but also Arizona and Nevada. Black-majority areas are become a rarity as even the most hardcore of former Black hoods (except The Greater Black Beverly Hills nexus; Ladera, Baldwin Hills/Vista, View Park, Windsor Hills, etc, which will stay Black) are awash with Mexicans, or in the process of.

Moderator cut: The whole city is losing diversity and becoming a dizzying monotony of Hispanics (with Mexicans at the helm). Not a good look.
It's becoming Mexifornia. But I still don't understand why blacks are moving all the way to the South though. I personally think the South is 20 years behind the rest of the country. I'm a black Californian and I think the West is the bomb!

I admit I would be uncomfortable if I lived in an area that was overwhelmingly brown. I have no interest in moving to South LA.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,859 times
More hispanics.
Its not 90's anymore.

CPT is a good area, nice people. Dont be dumb and you'll do fine.
Gang members aint bad people.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM

i dont think hispanics are monopolizing the LA area.

we still have a large amount of asians, whites, europeans, africans, middle easterners.

LA is the only city where large communities of ethnic groups are found. all kinds. we have little armenia, little tokyo, little ethiopia, thai town, china town, even a large concentration of belizeans!

we are still pretty diverse, altho segregated. look at the westside.

this idea of "Mexifornia" is ridiculous. what appear to be mexicans often times are not.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM

177 posts, read 706,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

we still have a large amount of asians, whites, europeans, africans, middle easterners.

LA is the only city where large communities of ethnic groups are found. all kinds. we have little armenia, little tokyo, little ethiopia, thai town, china town, even a large concentration of belizeans!

this idea of "Mexifornia" is ridiculous. what appear to be mexicans often times are not.
I go to the Westside all the time. It's one of my favorite hang outs.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

I guess you see a different Los Angeles or So Ca than many others. As for large communities of ethnic groups, I think there are many large cities that still have communities of ethnic groups..

Nita

Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM

yesthere are, but when you think of countires having a "second capital" outside of its borders, it usually is LA> the largest concentration of armenians is in LA. koreans outside of korea is LA. mexicans outside of mexico also. LA is home to more ethnic "capitals" than any other city. but i could be wrong on that. i can think of any other city or metro area that has it like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess you see a different Los Angeles or So Ca than many others. As for large communities of ethnic groups, I think there are many large cities that still have communities of ethnic groups..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles