Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know Claremont, probably 40-50-ish miles east of LA (I think)? It's near San Dimas.

They call it "the city of trees" (Yes, I know...Scaramento says the same thing) and it's a college town...AND it's ADORABLE.

We live in Glendora right now, just out the 66 not more than 15 minutes, but it's worlds apart. Being a transplanted east coaster, I love Claremont. I hope to move there eventually.

Anybody else lived/worked in/near that town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 11:21 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
My neice was considering going to college there but opted for Cornell. I thought it was a lovely town with a rare quaint appeal that is hard to find in the Los Angeles area. I bit too far from the coast for me though. I have land locked issues.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
It's very nice. Before we left CA last year, we would drive through there on occasion. Claremont is a very nice area. So is Upland and Cucamonga.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:36 AM

107 posts, read 1,007,638 times
I went there often when I lived in San Dimas. I really liked it, so cute looking! Upland is similar (in parts, there are some run down areas) and more affordable.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
My take on Claremont is that it's a lot like the cleaner parts of the valley except it's hotter and really, really far out. The 210 is brutal about half the time. My ex's family lived out there. Lots of white people too, I know that's important to some people. Has the total suburbia feel.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:29 PM

White, black or purple, that wouldn't be part of my decision. I know the 210 well. I live literally across the street from it, believe it or not! Very familiar with that puppy.

Thanks all!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:50 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
White, black or purple, that wouldn't be part of my decision. I know the 210 well. I live literally across the street from it, believe it or not! Very familiar with that puppy.

Thanks all!
Just curious...what do you think of Glendora? I lived in Pasadena for years but never got more than a passing feel of it. I've also lived next to the 210.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 26,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Does anybody know Claremont, probably 40-50-ish miles east of LA (I think)? It's near San Dimas.

They call it "the city of trees" (Yes, I know...Scaramento says the same thing) and it's a college town...AND it's ADORABLE.

We live in Glendora right now, just out the 66 not more than 15 minutes, but it's worlds apart. Being a transplanted east coaster, I love Claremont. I hope to move there eventually.

Anybody else lived/worked in/near that town?

I know it well. I've known that town for years. I love the place. It's politically and environmentally progressive. The Claremont colleges bring lots of interesting events. The train station is a positive thing.

I moved to San Dimas recently from Altadena. It's quite a jolt. If I stay in the eastern part of the San Gabriel Valley, Claremont would be my choise.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Just curious...what do you think of Glendora? I lived in Pasadena for years but never got more than a passing feel of it. I've also lived next to the 210.
Glendora is...well, you're asking the wrong person. You're asking someone who loves trees! But...it is pretty. I mean empirically speaking. It has a very safe feel, the schools are supposed to be good, it's kind of a "moneyed" area (I think we're the poorest people here!--LOL...it's a long story...we rent from relatives who own this house). The neighbors seem friendly though kind of in a surface way.

It's easy to get onto the main freeways from here (210...57...66) and that Metro thingie is centrally located.

As SoCal goes, it seems very nice. We've been here for two years.

I LOVE the feel of Pasadena, BTW. How come you moved? Just curious. I do know Pas is pretty expensive.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
I know it well. I've known that town for years. I love the place. It's politically and environmentally progressive. The Claremont colleges bring lots of interesting events. The train station is a positive thing.

I moved to San Dimas recently from Altadena. It's quite a jolt. If I stay in the eastern part of the San Gabriel Valley, Claremont would be my choise.
Oh! Well, hi, neighbor! BTW...francophile...reference to French studies? I love ancient European studies...but for me it would be the Franks...not the Francs... (An "I'm a geeky history buff reference...Franks=post-Roman culture).

OK...sorry for the digression. Just wanted to give a shout out to a neighbor living in Bill and Ted-land!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles