Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 4,704 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I love California despite its drawbacks. I would very much like to return after earning my credential to teach secondary mathematics.

The problem as I see it is the future of the state. Right now Cali is virtually bankrupt which affects the public schools that would employ me. In addition, the politics there seem to be so hopelessly gridlocked that necessary improvements will falter -not just in education but all state services. Lastly, water seems to be one of the most foreboding concerns on the horizon. Right now there is the so called "worst drought ever" taking place, and global warming will likely keep this trend going. Current energy secretary Steve Chu, Nobel Prize winner and California resident, warns that Cali agriculture could completely disappear and worse cannot see how Cali cities will survive in the future. article

"Survive." Is Cali going to become the next live set for a Mad Max movie only this time for real?

Maybe I'm being over pessimistic. As a place, I think California has the most diverse natural beauty and the best weather in the world. You can find and do just about anything that suits your interests, especially outdoor ones.

It was a paradise. Am I a fool to even be thinking about still living there, or am I just California Dreaming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Does it matter to you where in California you teach? Would you teach in the Mojave Desert, the Modoc Plateau, Needles? Barstow? Inner City Los Angeles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw314159 View Post
earning my credential to teach secondary mathematics.
By the way, what is the integral of (1/cabin)d(cabin)?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:54 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Some somewhere affordable that's not collapsing, vacation in California.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM

82 posts, read 335,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Does it matter to you where in California you teach? Would you teach in the Mojave Desert, the Modoc Plateau, Needles? Barstow? Inner City Los Angeles?

Haven't heard that houseboat joke since calculus.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
Haven't heard that houseboat joke since calculus.
There are three types of mathematicians: Those who can count, and those who can't.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
There are three types of mathematicians: Those who can count, and those who can't.
Is that like "There's 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary and those who don't." ?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,905 times
I hate you math people.... I'm terrible at it. Hahahaha

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:

log...cabin....Been a long time....but I love that one....

Here is one:

An engineer, a physicist and a mathematician are staying in a hotel.

The engineer wakes up and smells smoke. He goes out into the hallway and sees a fire, so he fills a trash can from his room with water and douses the fire. He goes back to bed.

Later, the physicist wakes up and smells smoke. He opens his door and sees a fire in the hallway. He walks down the hall to a fire hose and after calculating the flame velocity, distance, water pressure, trajectory, etc. extinguishes the fire with the minimum amount of water and energy needed.

Later, the mathematician wakes up and smells smoke. He goes to the hall, sees the fire and then the fire hose. He thinks for a moment and then exclaims, "Ah, a solution exists!" and then goes back to bed.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-13-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losfeliz View Post
California is a huge state so you've got to narrow it down.

And in this economy nobody should be moving anywhere until they've secured a job.

Yep.

I remember a post a while back about someone looking to CA to teach and I pointed him to an article about how there is quite of shortage and expected shortage of teachers. The thing is, these jobs weren't in the glamorous sections of CA like we see on TV. There are several professions in shortages two of which are I think teachers and I think nurses. In fact, engineers are in demand.

If you have an internet connection, these types of studies are available pretty easily.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw314159 View Post
The problem as I see it is the future of the state. Right now Cali is virtually bankrupt which affects the public schools that would employ me. In addition, the politics there seem to be so hopelessly gridlocked that necessary improvements will falter -not just in education but all state services. Lastly, water seems to be one of the most foreboding concerns on the horizon. Right now there is the so called "worst drought ever" taking place, and global warming will likely keep this trend going. Current energy secretary Steve Chu, Nobel Prize winner and California resident, warns that Cali agriculture could completely disappear and worse cannot see how Cali cities will survive in the future. article

"Survive." Is Cali going to become the next live set for a Mad Max movie only this time for real?
This is crazy. Not the post, which is fine. Chu's Mad Max scenario. Chu may be a California resident but he has obviously never visited the Central Valley. If he had, he would have seen hundreds of thousands of acres dedicated to the production of crops like rice and alfalfa. There is absolutely no reason to grow such things in California. Well, there is: agricultural water is, in effect, subsidized water.

There are a couple of reasons for thinking that California's cities aren't going to run out of water. First, the old saying: water flows towards money. Second, the northern Sierra snowpack isn't the only source of the stuff. SoCal water comes from the Sacramento delta, the Owens Valley, the Colorado river, and the ground. Then there's the ocean. Desalination is hideously expensive but if things get really desperate... Then of course there's "toilet-to-tap" recycling, as used in San Diego. People find this icky--what, you want me to drink someone else's urine?!? Folks, you already are. Las Vegas purifies its sewage and tips the good stuff back into the Colorado River.

The places that really should worry about water are southern Nevada, the Colorado front range, and most of Arizona. Compared to them we are fine.

But the state's politics... yeah, you're right about that. What a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles