Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times

Advertisements

Only on City-Data would a thread about crime in Santa Barbara warrant 11 pages...

Old 02-22-2008, 12:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Only on City-Data would a thread about crime in Santa Barbara warrant 11 pages...
This thread is 11 pages long because the topic keeps going around and around between people who just can't believe that Santa Barbara has any crime or gangs and those who know that it does.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
This thread is 11 pages long because the topic keeps going around and around between people who just can't believe that Santa Barbara has any crime or gangs and those who know that it does.
I am sure that Santa Barbara has crime, I doubt you will find a city that doesn't have crime. The amount of crime is insufficient to warrant any major concern. (That is unless the crime is happening to you I guess.)

Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
LOL. Even the thread's title is completely hysterical.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am sure that Santa Barbara has crime, I doubt you will find a city that doesn't have crime. The amount of crime is insufficient to warrant any major concern. (That is unless the crime is happening to you I guess.)
So true, but there is a perception that Santa Barbara is some trouble-free paradise on earth, immune to the problems that victimize other communities -- particularly gangs. There's a bit of a shock factor to learn that this isn't the case, which seems to be the reason this thread hangs on.

Anyway, I wouldn't call major -- and fatal -- gang brawls on State Street and the waterfront, among others, "insufficient to warrant major concern." The State Street brawl is what the OP is referring to, and it's not an isolated case. View some of the news web videos on this thread for a closer look at the gang problem. It's deeper and more entrenched than a lot of people want to admit.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,742 times
Default Hope to help w/decision

I admire your stance and want to tell you that I have two Son's attending Santa Barbara City College from out of state. They adjusted well coming from a very rule area. They did experience their home getting robbed but I have to tell you that the SB Police Dept were very professional in handling them as college student's and within a week the Detective was able to recover all but just a couple items. I grew up in California and every city has its gangs, yes people EVERY CITY! Because Santa Barbara has a wonderful balance of all races it is I think one of the more non threatening areas than Salinas. You just get street smart, don't open yourself up to invite trouble and stay away from certain areas that the locals tell you about. I don't think you would have a problem relocating in SB except rent is expensive and the real estate. I was lucky enough to find an honest landlord for my Son's that doesn't squeeze every cent out of them being college student's nor stereo type them. I hope this gives you a better look at Santa Barbara and if two young men from a very small rule town feel great about it, I think you would from where you have lived and experienced. Ventura County is a beautiful County that can't be passed up and enjoyed!

Good Luck!

quote=MPH;1108770]I am considering a travel assignment to SB. I couldn't decide on your fair city, the Carmel/Monterey/Salinas River Valley/SLOB, or a few other California areas to practice Nursing.
Thanks for helping with my decision with your attitude toward those less fortunate;those in despair who have suffered degradations of the kind most of us could not even imagine. I'm not talking about your "gangs". I've been a trauma/ER nurse for 33 years in inner city war zones like St. Louis, San Antonio, Boston, Cincinnatti, and The Rio Grande Valley where violence is beyond comprehension and it is tragic and overwhelming. I do not mean to diminish the problem you are seeing in your city, and that is not what I find as frightening as your attitude toward the homeless. We have a huge homeless issue in San Antonio and we are working together as citizens to help rather than judge these broken lives. We are building them a great big ol' shelter so nice folks who are shopping and strolling won't have to walk around them. We go downtown and feed them. We give them our old clothes. Most of them have been booted out of the State Hosp anyway, and we are at least trying to put a dent in this hopeless homeless issue. With all your God given gifts, you might want to learn to share. The ugliness of the majority here is WAY uglier than the "bums on the street". As a nurse, I help people like them and people like you every day. Give me a big toothless, grateful, humble smile anyday. We're all Gods kids, kids. There but for the Grace of God go you and I. Talk about a gated community. If you want into that gated community in the sky, you might want to learn the code to get in.
Nah, I think I'll find another town, not quite as pretty, but also not quite as ugly as this. What a shallow and self righteous shame. "We have not inherited the earth from our fathers. We are borrowing it from our children."[/quote]

Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,940 times
Default It's been buggin' me since I first read it . . .

The title of this thread is incredibly and horribly misleading about Santa Barbara. I can see something like "do not go to the most run down, drug infested, gang ridden neighborhood of Detroit it is not a safe area", but folks we are talking Santa Barbara here. It is one of the most beautiful, breathtaking and safe cities in all of California and from the beauty and weather perspective definately one of the nicest in the world.

They have city issues as any city does. In this thread it is not fully put into context all that Santa Barbara does offer, nor is this small issue brought up by the OP balanced against what Santa Barbara is like or feels like. You absolutely must go to Santa Barbara. Ride a bike along the waterway. Go shopping at the Paseo Nuevo etc . . . or indulge in whatever you are into. There is a lot to offer and all in the most lovely and amazing setting with perfect weather in a relaxed environment with energetic energy as well (hard to find such a balance in one place). However if you don't like the last things I listed do not go, but definately do not go because you read and believed this completely ill, entitled thread.

How many threads have been spawned from this overblown issue about Santa Barbara on city-data . . . loads!! It is pathetic and completely odd.

If you don't like beauty, chill, and nice people stay away so the rest of us can enjoy Santa Barbara and her outlying areas and have it all to ourselves :-). All the rest of you come and enjoy our lovely city and area, but realize people actually live here. So real life happens and goes on too just in a much more lovely area.

Those wondering if safety is an issue regarding moving here (as I once did when I was doing my research to move to Santa Barbara), it is not and your real concern--unless you have 2 million to spend on an estate--should be can you afford it and where will you work. Those last two are valid and real questions that need to be truly flushed out for you unless you are wealthy. The safety issue is, I hope, put to rest. Santa Barbara is a safe city.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 04-11-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 11:02 PM

167 posts, read 453,404 times
Default Hopefully, plan to visit next week.

Living in Southern california 31 years, I had the opportunity to visit Santa Barbara. In the 70's and 80's when traffic wasn't like it is now, it was a nice place to visit. I drove through there 3 years ago, and I went to the costco in Goleta. Not a bad area, but very compacted.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:21 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
I braved the mean streets of Santa Barbara today and came home alive! Phew...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
This thread has run its course. Thank you, everyone, for participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles