Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,401 times

Advertisements

Wot, gangs in Santa Barbara?

I haven't been there for many years, but every time I visited SB I was captivated by its' beauty and peaceful lifestyle...it's terrible for me to hear that this beautiful city is now just another American place of violence.

What on earth has happened to our youth to make them become so violent? Is it the influence of TV programs, or internet games full of killing, the influx of cultures far different than ours, what? Surely the US has many fine qualities for youth to follow and believe in...

Maybe it's the fact that most parents both work outside the home now and therefore don't have time to oversee what their kids are up to, or even the wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan full of stories about beheadings, torture, murder.

I live in Canada, which has always lagged behind the US in trends, but now we are also experiencing mass killings in schools, home invasions of old people in particular, street muggings, every type of violence possible. Our laws here prohibit guns unless they are strictly controlled and accounted for, nevertheless a gun can be easily purchased here illegally, generally through contacts with US criminals, and it is becoming a widespread problem, and our police forces can't even begin to keep up with it.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times
Here, here! My sentiments exactly. It is a lovely place. It saddens me very much. This is why I am so very vocal tonight about this issue.

I would be the first to want to be proven wrong and or also to see this issue dealt with and of course not just in SB, but all over S. California. We have an amazing region and it is worth fighting for in so many different areas. Santa Barbara and Southern California are unique, distinct and irreplacable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Santa Barbara is a City for The Wealthy.....Gangs and Homeless People do not belong there.

It's also a Beautiful City and I don't want it going downhill like what happened to so many once Nice Areas in L.A County :-(

Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM

128 posts, read 461,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
Wot, gangs in Santa Barbara?

I haven't been there for many years, but every time I visited SB I was captivated by its' beauty and peaceful lifestyle...it's terrible for me to hear that this beautiful city is now just another American place of violence.

What on earth has happened to our youth to make them become so violent? Is it the influence of TV programs, or internet games full of killing, the influx of cultures far different than ours, what? Surely the US has many fine qualities for youth to follow and believe in...

Maybe it's the fact that most parents both work outside the home now and therefore don't have time to oversee what their kids are up to, or even the wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan full of stories about beheadings, torture, murder.

I live in Canada, which has always lagged behind the US in trends, but now we are also experiencing mass killings in schools, home invasions of old people in particular, street muggings, every type of violence possible. Our laws here prohibit guns unless they are strictly controlled and accounted for, nevertheless a gun can be easily purchased here illegally, generally through contacts with US criminals, and it is becoming a widespread problem, and our police forces can't even begin to keep up with it.

what's even scarier is that there is no concrete explanantion for gun violence in Canada

Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM

85 posts, read 283,653 times
i went there at the weekend it is very beautiful and i did like it, however there was a lot of police around. There was also alot oh homeless people on the streets.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Thumbs down Santa Barbara gangs like no other...

Again, Santa Barbara gangs' m.o. like none other -- big group brawls. There's been yet another as a dozen people with gang ties fight INSIDE and outside of a packed Rusty's Pizza on the waterfront. One person stabbed.

Santa Barbara Stabbing Has Gang Ties | Santa Barbara's News, Weather, and Sports | Local

If you ask me, these gang idiots are wound way too tight.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 PM

That just makes me so-o angry too. Here is a link to pictures and reviews of the restaurant. Notice how very cool the architecture is and clean and the excellent 4 and 5 star reviews. It is right down by the waterfront where everyone hangs. This is a place I would frequent with the first hint of a pizza craving:

A review of Rusty's Pizza - Cabrillo at Santa Barbara.com

Can't imagine how scary that was for the employees and the patrons inside and outside and all the tourists. This by the way was not on the list or the tour of the gang areas to avoid when we were given a tour of the 'bad areas'. How do the locals explain this? Shall one avoid the entire water front and downtown, especially outside of Saks 5th Avenue (right where another stabbing happened)? Oh yeah, that would mean the tourists would have to avoid everything except the Catholic church tour and the Musuem of Natural History. Bummer. Kind of limited place to live having to avoid all the areas one moves to go to on a frequent basis. Don't want to have to be packing my Glock, a blade, or a sawed off shot gun (yeah like I have one--LOL!) when I go for a spa, a walk, a slice of pizza or to buy a new shirt.

My heart goes out to all those in the lovely community of Santa Barbara, especially law enforcement. I know they are working hard. I just think it is time for the politicians to make some very big decisions about how they want their community to go forward and figure out what they value and act on making that happen and quick. My hope is that safety for their community comes first, as opposed to PC B.S.

Santa Barbara take back your beautiful city!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Again, Santa Barbara gangs' m.o. like none other -- big group brawls. There's been yet another as a dozen people with gang ties fight INSIDE and outside of a packed Rusty's Pizza on the waterfront. One person stabbed.

Santa Barbara Stabbing Has Gang Ties | Santa Barbara's News, Weather, and Sports | Local

If you ask me, these gang idiots are wound way too tight.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
We used to take weekend trips to Santa Barbara - no more. The streets are full of unsavory types of people just mulling around...we were on one of the nicest streets in SB having lunch and saw a homeless man yell something at a family in a truck - the husband got out and punched the homeless man right in front of us...knocked him down.....tons and tons of young people just hanging out everywhere - some of them pretty scary looking...SB is not what it used to be...we won't be going back....we go to Laguna Beach now - just as beautiful and safer.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,723 times
As an ex-law enforcement person from Santa Barbara and Ventura, I found this whole discussion facinating. I left five years ago so I am sure much has changed. These are very interesting areas crime wise. SB has such high income residents that there is a lot of pressure on the PD and SO to downplay crime. There have always been serious rape assaults all over southern SB county especially around the university but do you read about them? No you don't. They are not publicized allegedly to protect the victims but they also protect you the citizenry from learning about them. SB has always been a place with a huge of amount of thefts and burglaries and then absolutely heinous murders of all types. Often multiple murders. There are unsolved murders still in SB county area around Goleta from the 80's. SB County used to be the body dump capital of So. California too which added another layer of problems for police. So, the cops go from investigating a bike theft to a murder for hire. Its hard to get a depth of experience on a force with this weird kind of crime patterns. As a person working in this field, I loved working in SB because I saw things there I never saw in other places I worked and it was fascinating but as citizens you should have more inquiring minds...

Ventura is just a mess because of poor police presence and their constant desire to be friends with every gang from the Hells Angels to common street gangs. You just can't fight gangs by chumming up to them and hoping that your magnetic personality charms them into submission. The Hells Angels practically own Ventura. I never could figure out why that city government didn't care. The citizenry there acted like these were good neighbors. I would point out that they are committing murders all over the world and your city is their home. They are not good neighbors just because they aren't stabbing you. It breeds a climate of corruption and that seeps into the veins of your city. Their murders in the last fifteen years are mostly unsolved. Ask those agencies for their solve rate on their murders. Well below the nationwide average of 30 per cent or so (used to be anyway).

This whole topic could be a great book. I always though Sue Grafton really missed the boat in some ways by making up stories centered around SB especially since the true ones are hair raising.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Just because a few crimes have occured in Santa Barbara,I don't think it's an unsafe city,but this is just a reminder to us all that crimes can occur anywhere,and people also have to remember that Santa Barbara isn't too far from L.A and Santa Barbara is not in a Gated Community,so most likely you will have the Good and the Bad Visitors to this city.

Santa Barbara is still safe in my book :-)

Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 AM

That's the spirit! It has been so great to get others views, experiences and point of views. Thanks all!!

Thoughts from present SB homeowners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
Just because a few crimes have occured in Santa Barbara,I don't think it's an unsafe city,but this is just a reminder to us all that crimes can occur anywhere,and people also have to remember that Santa Barbara isn't too far from L.A and Santa Barbara is not in a Gated Community,so most likely you will have the Good and the Bad Visitors to this city.

Santa Barbara is still safe in my book :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles