Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 01:27 PM

92 posts, read 257,096 times

Advertisements

From what I've read on this forum, people wanting to move to the US from another just aren't clued up on how to go about getting a work permit, but even more worryingly, they don't seem to think that it matters or are prepared to do the research. So I wanted to share my experience.

I'm an actor, with a degree, a great lawyer and an agent in the US sponsored me for my non immigrant visa, which lasts for 3 years with the possibility of extending it or applying for the immigrant version of the visa (EB1). This category is for people who have extraordinary ability.

I started researching which visa I needed in 2005. I then did my degree, saved a LOT of money, gathered all the evidence I needed to file my petition, found my lawyer, talked to my sponsor, paid my lawyer. We began working on my case and 5 months later submitted my petition to USCIS. Then I waited to 2 months, got my approval, booked my embassy appointment, got my visa. It has taken a really, really, long time.

It has also taken a lot of money. I spent $7000 on lawyers fees and that's not including embassy related fees, about another $175. It's very time consuming - I've panicked, I've been frustrated, I've thought about it every day. It's taken a lot of energy out of me. It's supposed to be a tough process; US immigration have a smart way of weeding out the people who really want to live in the US and those who don't.

Of course, this has just been my experience and I'm sure other people who have different visas will have different stories. But I'm sure most will agree that it's hard, it's long, and it's expensive.

I guess what I'm saying here is 1. Go on to the US embassy website. It's not hard to figure out which visa you have the best chance of getting. And 2. I'm not contributing to anymore "I want to move from the UK to the US" forums. Do a search first for basic information! (really easy, third tab from the right.)

And as an afterthought, if you're trying to explain why you hate the UK and want to leave, try not to insult us Brits. There are a few of us on this board
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM

215 posts, read 976,691 times
Congrats, I know it is stressing and good for you for doing it legally! Been there & done that. Actually I immigrated to the UK from the US and after the novelty wore off living in the UK I couldn't wait to get back to California. We did all the immigration forms BS to get hubby to the States :-D, it's well worth the effort!

Where are moving to?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:49 PM

92 posts, read 257,096 times
Thanks! I'm moving to LA, but I'm actually going to be taking a detour to Portland first because a director friend of mine has cast me in a film he's doing and I then I'm doing another film there after that. So I'll be there for about 4 months, then wander on down to Los Angeles. I'll also have a bit more money saved by then, so I can relax a bit more and not stress out!

Old 02-14-2009, 02:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
I congratulate you for your success, for your hard work, and for your willingness to follow the legal process. If only all wanna-be immigrants and those who want to work in the US would emulate you and do it legally.

Welcome to America!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton167 View Post
From what I've read on this forum, people wanting to move to the US from another just aren't clued up on how to go about getting a work permit, but even more worryingly, they don't seem to think that it matters or are prepared to do the research. So I wanted to share my experience.

I'm an actor, with a degree, a great lawyer and an agent in the US sponsored me for my non immigrant visa, which lasts for 3 years with the possibility of extending it or applying for the immigrant version of the visa (EB1). This category is for people who have extraordinary ability.

I started researching which visa I needed in 2005. I then did my degree, saved a LOT of money, gathered all the evidence I needed to file my petition, found my lawyer, talked to my sponsor, paid my lawyer. We began working on my case and 5 months later submitted my petition to USCIS. Then I waited to 2 months, got my approval, booked my embassy appointment, got my visa. It has taken a really, really, long time.

It has also taken a lot of money. I spent $7000 on lawyers fees and that's not including embassy related fees, about another $175. It's very time consuming - I've panicked, I've been frustrated, I've thought about it every day. It's taken a lot of energy out of me. It's supposed to be a tough process; US immigration have a smart way of weeding out the people who really want to live in the US and those who don't.

Of course, this has just been my experience and I'm sure other people who have different visas will have different stories. But I'm sure most will agree that it's hard, it's long, and it's expensive.

I guess what I'm saying here is 1. Go on to the US embassy website. It's not hard to figure out which visa you have the best chance of getting. And 2. I'm not contributing to anymore "I want to move from the UK to the US" forums. Do a search first for basic information! (really easy, third tab from the right.)

And as an afterthought, if you're trying to explain why you hate the UK and want to leave, try not to insult us Brits. There are a few of us on this board
thanks so much for posting this. all the posts from european teens/young adults who seem to think that they can move to this country on a whim can be quite tiresome. i don't know if it is because, being young, they are only familiar with the relative ease of EU border-hopping, and don't know that it doesn't work that way here, or because they are fully prepared to flout our immigration laws, but i find either option cause for alarm. i'm glad you took the time to learn the process and were successful in doing it the right way (although i'm sure it was a giant pain in the arse for you!), and i wish you luck in your LA adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles