U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 PM

13 posts, read 22,098 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA for over 20 years. And honestly, I still go to compton to visit a friend of mine, sometimes I've been around there at 2am and I'm not scared. Nothing has ever happened to me. As someone said, just mind your own business. Don't be a lookin lulu or get involved in anything. Of course stopping places is another story. I wouldnt be at gas stations or stores there late at night. Only where I'm supposed to go. You'll be fine.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,369 times
Compton is... ok to drive at night. Ive had to walk there at night from the Compton station up to Alameda and Greenleaf, so I can say a 2am stroll is a bit nerve wrecking, but I'm still here.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,347,837 times
Quote:
How bad is Compton?
What do you mean by 'bad'?
Is that like Michael Jackson 'bad' or the other 'bad'?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,310 times
Default Compton is not the worst

I have been living in Compton for 3 years. I live in a good neighbhorhood in Compton (didn't know that existed, hunh?). Yes, just like in ANY neighborhood, they have their good and bad areas. Go to Moderator cut: no competing sites to find statistics. Out of the 20 most dangerous cities in the US, Compton ranked 14! Oakland and Richmond, CA ranked higher than Compton. I know you're suprised. Compton has had a stigma ever since the Straight outta Compton CD came out 15 or so years ago. Yes, Compton still does have it's problem but keep in mind that there are now more Spanish speaking people in Compton than there are Black people. Another thing people don't talk about. When someone says Compton their first thought is Black people. Well, that's not true at all anymore. Yes, there are gangs, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Yes, there are drive-bys, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Yes, there is crime, but it's not as bad as it used to be. My point if you haven't caught on is that it's not as bad as it used to be but people still stigmatize Compton as being this horrible place. All that being said the Compton/Watts area in my opinion is the worst area in the Los Angeles to be in for Black people. So would I recommend a person who does not know the area to be frolliking around? No. Are you going to get shot walking down the street? Probably not. Would I recommend someone living here? No, there are much better areas. All that being said, Is it the worst place in the world to be in? No, no, no, but there ARE much better places.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-20-2009 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: No links to competing sites, please.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,846,287 times
Default okay so you're cool

You're so cool you live where the drive by shooting statistics have improved. I harken from a place where the drive by shootings & car jackings have improved. I grew up in F13 territory... But I got to leave & I'm grateful. It all just is what it is. We're all brothers & sisters but when we grow up we can live where ever we want to. Peace.

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM

153 posts, read 789,442 times
I think alot of these answers are silly, about minding your own business. Most gang killings happen accidentally when they are shooting at each other.
You just get caught in the middle. I personally would stay the heck away at all costs.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:25 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,272,480 times
I'm in the middle here. Yes, Compton is a bad area and it has no shortage of gangbangers and general thugs living in its city limits. Also, Compton has it's more laid back areas and it's not like drive-bys and shoot outs are everyday things for anyone who lives there (not even gang members).

The truth is in the middle. You said certainly exercise caution in Compton by doing things like avoiding doing anything or wearing anything that is associated with gang membership (you don't want to be mistaken for a gang member if you look the part and you don't want to be accused to being a poser if you don't), avoid little side streets (especially dead end roads), mind your own business, and just generally be alert and aware of your surroundings. However, Compton is not Afghanistan, the Congo, or Lebanon in the 1980s. You are unlikely to be flat out murdered just passing through and although there is a chance of that happening, it is rather rare. I've passed through Compton in the mid 90s when me and my family got lost coming into LA and we spent about an hour going around in circles going through South Central Los Angeles and finally ended up asking for directions from a bunch of teenagers and young men hanging around a 7-11 parking lot in Compton. And guess what? They weren't gangbangers and one of them even drew a little map for us on a piece of cardboard for us. Now, this was about 11AM on a weekday and we wouldn't have asked them if they seemed dicey or hostile in the slightest and if it was at night we would not have approached them either, but the point remains that white people can pass through Compton and even talk to people without getting harassed, assaulted, robbed, or shot. Hell, we didn't even know we were in Compton until one of the guys said that we had balls to be driving through Compton in convertible with the top down. The area that we knew for certain that we passed through was Inglewood and we later found out that we passed through Watts as well after find out what those those strange towers that looked like a burnt out Cathedral were.

Is it an area I would like hang around? Not really. I wouldn't feel too comfortable going there at night and I would be careful with who I talk to and what I do. I also certainly wouldn't want to stay in one place in public for too long. But if I had to simply pass through, I think I could handle that.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,635,848 times
The only thing to learn from this is that "bad" is relative. I guess that people can see the bright side in any place. I live next door to Compton and have been there hundreds of times. It is definitely one of the poorest and most violent cities in the LA area. Lots of good people, but even more "ghetto" people. I looked at buying there before I moved to Carson and I'm glad that I didn't. It's better than it was in the 80's and 90's, but BFD. It's still too violent and the schools are extremely bad.

There's really no reason to go there that I can think of. Unless you have to go to court maybe. As far as FinnishAmerican walking around Compton at night. He must be joking. Who walks around a place like Compton at night by themselves? Not many. Especially if he's really Finnish. I would have a hard time believing that.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 AM

11,334 posts, read 17,098,470 times
Compton is a dangerous place because of the gangs but its not like people being killed everyday (like I thought), parts of Compton actually look nice to me .

Compton isn't as bad as people make it out to be but I still think Carson is way better ..

Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM

735 posts, read 1,448,442 times
I drove a cab about 15 years ago and had to work Compton at night if I wanted to make money. It ws not the same as picking up a little old lady from Pasadena, but if you have street smarts, you can survive. Stay away from certain streets altogether, like Tucker or the residential streets by the courthouse. Honestly, the only reason I know of someone going to Compton after dark is to look for a prostitiute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles