U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,149,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Wow. Leykis has put on a few pounds.
WTF difference does that make? Would you post the same if George Bush gained a few pounds? If Barak Obama gained a few pounds?

Are you perhaps planning on being his girly boy friend? Forget it. I hear he's heterosexual.

This is all about the message, and not about the messenger. Leykis had a unique message that will not be in the public airwaves for some time to come. I think the public will be poorer for its absence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Are you perhaps planning on being his girly boy friend?
A girl can dream can't she?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:24 PM

5,163 posts, read 10,289,568 times
Tom's speech at 5:00 was extremely classy. He could have taken the opportunity to denigrate the top 40 format (it wouldn't be the first time he has done so), but he took the high road instead. However, I did have to laugh in sheer disbelief when a sobbing woman called and said that she hasn't been this sad since 9/11! She's comparing losing a radio show with a terrorist attack?!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM

I listened to the show and perhaps I was distracted a few moments with the 911 reference...

Actually I got a bit emotional myself, recalling the many times I've had my own last day on the job, and probably drawing on some of my own angst. It's really tough saying goodbye, and I've been enjoying Tom's show for several years, probably longer. He was always there... but now he won't be there anymore.

Really, I haven't felt this bad about something in the 5-6 years since I had my last day at my last good job. Maybe I've been fortunate.

It's just another damned fallout of the economy going sour. I'm sure there will be a never ending list of worse things to come.

Damn them Wall Street million dollar bonus dudes, and damn them house flippers... They killed my chance to sell my house and relocate, and now they've killed Leykis.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 PM

12,006 posts, read 13,504,039 times
The future of terrestrial radio is not good. The WSJ and NPR both have predicted that broadcast radio and TV stations will soon start going under just as newspapers are going under, due to the loss of advertising revenue and fewer and fewer listeners/viewers. Eventually there will be plenty of empty space on the dial. However, idiotic station management seems to be hastening this eventual dire fate by adapting bland, generic formats with little appeal to distinguish them from their competition.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Phingerbyngur View Post
OMG...people may have to listen to KABC or KFI instead of wannabe Howard Sterns...oh the horror...
Maybe KABC or KFI could run Leykis' show. At least Leykis has more opportunities for employment on LA radio than Steve Jones has.

However looking at commercial broadcast radio in the long term, it has a bleak future and soon there will be stations folding completely rather than merely changing formats.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Again, I perceive KABC and KFI as being political. Tom Leykis is not, or at least his primary focus is not politically related, except for the politics of the relation between the sexes. Actually it seems to me that AM radio talk shows are more politically oriented, where FM is more amenable to discussing more controversial topics such as sex.

And I don't blame CBS Radio any more for this than Tom does. His was the #1 rated show across the nation. It wasn't about ratings at all, nor was about the Leykis show at all. It was all about profitability, and talk radio is not sufficiently profitable in these hard times.

I'm not going to be listening to the new 97.1, not out of spite but because I can pick better music on my own CDs, on my iPod, and particularly on my MP3 CDs which I burn myself from my CD collection. Music is not entertainment to me, or at least listening to music on the AM or FM radio is not entertainment to me. It was the spontaneity of the KLSX "Talk Radio" format that I found interesting. If they're going to play music then I can do that better myself.

I'm planning on listening to the Tom Leykis Show tomorrow 3:00-5:00 p.m. for the final broadcast, and then I'm going to hit the AM button and punch in 1070, and then hit the CD button. From then on my choice will be either news/traffic or it will CD/MP3. I have no further need of my FM button.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Again, I perceive KABC and KFI as being political. Tom Leykis is not, or at least his primary focus is not politically related, except for the politics of the relation between the sexes. Actually it seems to me that AM radio talk shows are more politically oriented, where FM is more amenable to discussing more controversial topics such as sex.
John & Ken (whom I am NOT a fan of) or Michael Savage (who I am also definitely NOT a fan of) aren't as controversial as Leykis? If anything they're a great deal more inflammatory.

Quote:
And I don't blame CBS Radio any more for this than Tom does. His was the #1 rated show across the nation. It wasn't about ratings at all, nor was about the Leykis show at all. It was all about profitability, and talk radio is not sufficiently profitable in these hard times.
The way things are going, broadcast radio itself will not be sufficiently profitable.

Quote:
I'm not going to be listening to the new 97.1, not out of spite but because I can pick better music on my own CDs, on my iPod, and particularly on my MP3 CDs which I burn myself from my CD collection. Music is not entertainment to me, or at least listening to music on the AM or FM radio is not entertainment to me. It was the spontaneity of the KLSX "Talk Radio" format that I found interesting. If they're going to play music then I can do that better myself.
Agreed. Ironically, bland generic music formats like 97.1 is adapting will most likely generate even fewer profits, just because it can be found easily elsewhere on the dial.

Eventually there'll have to be Internet radio recievers for cars.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 AM

100 posts, read 23,673 times
Quote:
KABC and KFI are political. KLSX isn't. I can't stand to listen to political talk radio because all the callers are either people who agree with me or people who never will.

At least with KLSX's format I could learn something, and I could be entertained. I used to get mad when I'd listen to Frosty, Heidi and Frank in all their misinformed bliss, when one day I realized that it wasn't informative at all. But it was entertaining!

I have no use for political talk radio. I've got forums that did that better.

KLSX Talk Radio entertained me. In the end it was entertainment. I can turn on my iPod if I want music.
So what do they talk about on KLSX? Brad-jolina or how much Britney Spears weighs this week?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM

899 posts, read 669,197 times
Nope. Carolla basically ranted about anything and everything that he hated about this city. His not-so-veiled racist remarks against Mexicans, his rants against the LAPD and the laws of L.A. and his boring construction talk struck a chord with the blue collar stiffs who listened to him on the way to work. I didn't really like his show but I didn't like Stern much either in the mornings.

Still, Frosty Heidi and Frank and Leykis made my day since I have to drive so much for work. FH&F were basically irreverant talks. It felt like the days I used to get together with friends and we'd get drunk and just talk about useless BS.

Leykis, on the other hand, is all about male empowerment and that's what made him so "controvercial". It was hilarilous to listen to him challenge the customary views on god, marriage, children and women in general and then have people call in (mostly women) pissed off at him for basically stating facts. He himself would talk about how he used to have talkshows on other stations that were more political in nature but, since this style kept the ratings up, he stuck with that format. A lot of his critics said that he was a chauvinist or that he was bitter but he trully did provide a public service by encouraging young men to focus on their education and on establishing their careers before getting themselves into serious relationships. He also advocated safe sex and not getting women pregnant. Towards the end he went all out and just became anti-marriage but, if you trully listened, he made valid points to support his ideas. If you ask me, we need more people encouraging our youth to focus on educating themselves and on establishing a good career instead of getting each other pregnant and leeching off of the government. Especially young men. You constantly hear women complain about the lack of "good men" yet they complain when a radio personality is teaching men how to be the best they can be. It was great to hear mothers who called in and thanked him on behalf of their sons.

KLSX was an escape from the typical talk shows for those of us who didn't want to hear one-sided right or left wingers. It was an escape from the mundane aspects of work and a relief from (for those of us who speak spanish) spanish speaking radio personalities who perpetuated and empowered the stereotype of the ignorant (illegal) immigrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles