U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 PM

277 posts, read 377,202 times
I started to post this yesterday but I wanted to make sure Leykis was really on the stations I was listing, I listened to a few minutes of The
Leykis show today on my Squeezebox, he was on The Talker AM 970 from Portland. I didn't catch if it was a rerun or not but he was on when I listened.

Here is the stations web address AM 970 - The Talker - Portland - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,009,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I just had a strange epiphany today when I was taking a short drive and didn't want to fumble with CDs, and upon clicking around I landed upon 93.1 FM KCBS. Suddenly it occurred to me: KCBS ... CBS ... same owner as KLSX... CBS Radio. The people who gave us the totally automated no disc jockey Jack-FM are the same people who killed Talk Radio and gave us (i.e. subjected us to) AMP radio. Pretty strange...

Jack-FM = somebody else's idea of what you should have on your iPod, + commercials...

"We're playing what WE want!" (Nevermind what we want to listen to.)
I have several issues with that station:

1. The slogan, as you already mentioned

2. Schizophrenic playlist (Def Leppard followed by Matchbox 20 followed by Metallica...what the hell kind of station are you trying to be!?)

3. If by some chance they play a song I like but I don't know the artist or song title, I'll never know what the song was since nobody (or hell, even an automated computer voice) tells me what they just played

We have a station like that in Phoenix called "The Peak" but its locally run and they have DJ's. Its only a matter of time before they cut costs and it becomes another Jack FM.

I also really like KSWD (100.3 The Sound...but keep in mind that I'm a white liberal douchebag) and I have a feeling its only a matter of time before that becomes another Top 40 or Jack FM clone

Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 AM

16,587 posts, read 19,364,745 times
Tim Conway Jr. moves, temporarily, to KABC | conway, rantel, steckler, radio, david - Entertainment - OCRegister.com

Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM

364 posts, read 616,822 times
Ever since Howard left for satellite, most of CBS Radio has had trouble sustaining a loyal audience. Today's economic crisis hasn't done the stations any favors as well. We may actually see stations consolidating or perhaps disappearing in the near-future.

However, I agree with what's been said - L.A. does not need another CHR/Top 40 radio station. For one thing, KLSX can't compete with an institution like KIIS-FM. Second, KLSX has an identity problem. It doesn't know what it wants to be. I remember when the station used to play classic rock. I bet anything that the station could make money with that format again. I know I'm looking for some good music instead of listening to the same garbage over and over again.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

5,375 posts, read 6,746,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I fell in love with this station when I was in Los Angeles on business back in December. Listening to Adam Corolla and Tom Leykis helped me keep my sanity when I was stuck in traffic driving from Anaheim to Van Nuys and back every day. This is very disheartening news.
Leykis helped me too, although in my case I had developed the habit to listen to CDs on my way into Santa Clarita (from ~Van Nuys) then listen to Leykis on my way home. Nevertheless he (Leykis) helped me retain my sanity during my homeward commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I sincerely hope another station goes talk and picks these guys back up.
Well alas, no other station is likely to go "where angels fear to tread." KLSX already proved that this format is not sufficiently financially successful, enough to carry the costs. It's unlikely that any other corporation will step in soon to test the already proven cold water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman123 View Post
I have to say that Tom himself doesn’t seem too distraught about this. It’s almost like he doesn’t care about the situation at all. Basically he gets a 3-year paid vacation until his contract expires. Obviously he isn’t going to talk trash about his bosses.
He sounded sufficiently distraught to me. Tom is a guy who enjoys being in the spotlight. He is also a good enough businessman to have taken care of his finance, good enough that he's been doing it long enough to have made enough money to become self sufficient.

He's good enough that you'll miss him more than he will miss you. That's more a statement about you than him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Apparently you never heard his 45 minute on-air harangue ... but I'll still, on occasion, miss his show. It had the odd moment of entertainment.
Yeah, that's exactly it. You don't like him, but he amused you. Honestly I'm not sure if I like him myself, but I don't need to make up my mind about whether he entertained me. He always did that (entertained me) and that's why I'll miss him.

I don't need to "complexify" it by needing to decide if I like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotraveler View Post
I am 54 and outside the demographic courted by both Talk FM and AMP, but that doesn't mean I'm dead.
Me too (outside his demographic) and maybe that's part of the problem, that the radio station didn't want you and I, that they were selling advertising for audiences other than us, and to some degree you and I didn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotraveler View Post
If you're reading this you probably can tell that I am a writer;
No, you're so good that you had me completely mystified. I never would have guessed that you're a writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
My question is this: If they still have to honor the contracts of all that were let go, then what would it have hurt to have them all on until their contracts are over?
You are assuming all the contracts ran concurrently. Trying to time them all to somehow ending up with them all expiring on the same day would have been a legal impossibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
I have several issues with that station [Jack FM]:

1. The slogan, as you already mentioned

2. Schizophrenic playlist (Def Leppard followed by Matchbox 20 followed by Metallica...what the hell kind of station are you trying to be!?)

3. If by some chance they play a song I like but I don't know the artist or song title, I'll never know what the song was since nobody (or hell, even an automated computer voice) tells me what they just played...
Yeah, that's exactly it. What they are trying to be is a station that you're stuck listening to, and can't load your iPod because they won't tell you what the artists/tunes are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
However, I agree with what's been said - L.A. does not need another CHR/Top 40 radio station. For one thing, KLSX can't compete with an institution like KIIS-FM. Second, KLSX has an identity problem. It doesn't know what it wants to be. I remember when the station used to play classic rock. I bet anything that the station could make money with that format again. I know I'm looking for some good music instead of listening to the same garbage over and over again.
Well you might bet anything, but either you wouldn't bet enough to keep a major Los Angeles FM station operating, or (more likely) you don't have the money. And that's the problem, nobody who has the money is willing to risk it on this bet.

And... I'm not sure that any music format is profitable in today's market where most autos have CD players and many of us own iPods and are disloyal enough to be willing to go independent and listen to our own tunes rather than support a radio station.

You see, that's it! Talk radio supplies something that you can't load in your iPod. Leykis, and Carrolla and Frosty/Heidi/Frank and all of them, they supplied impromptu and timely entertainment content. They were all here, now, spur of the moment, entertaining because they were live.

What this is telling us is that "live" is dead. Canned music is their future, and for many of us we are more willing to can our own rather than to listen to their "can."

-----

I've myself felt somewhat as a loss as I have driven a few errands over the last recent days, as my CD played and every now and then I reflexively reached up to hit my 97.1 button until I remembered that 97.1 is dead, remembered that I've already set the buttons to other stations, remembered that the other stations are just canned music, remembered that my own canned music is better than their version of canned music.

I've resigned myself to just geting used to it. This situation is not going to improve anytime soon. Put your snooze timer on 2-3-5 years. It's the end of an era. It will be a long time before we get a new era.

It's the future, and the future sucks.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,364,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

You don't like him, but he amused you.
Occasionally.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Actually Leykis amused me so much on occasion that I seriously considered pulling to the side of the road until I could control my laughing enough to not risk driving safely.

So what do you think, Jack? Let's you and I start a foundation to teach gang bangers to hit their targets. Eh?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,819,059 times
Just an update if anyone cares:

Adam Corolla has the #1 Podcast on iTunes right now.
Frosty Heidi and Frank are on iTunes now also! They are up to #6 already.

Adam just sits down with guests and chat and it's really a funny show.
FH&F have pretty much the same show they had while on the air (just an hour long though)

I'm happy to get to listen to both again!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM

446 posts, read 836,090 times
It sounds like "AMP" Radio is going after the audience from KIIS FM. I heard 2 commercials bashing KIIS ("don't have to listen to Ryan Seacrest" and "the odds are if you're listening to KIIS, you're listening to a commercial right now.")

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks ZM for the update.

I was just driving in my car mid-day today and wishing I could have FH&F's pitter-patter to occupy my stray thoughts as I was driving. On other days (later in the day), I've wished that I had Tom's humorous show to buoy me up.

Gawd, I hate it when eras pass...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles