Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,440,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Of course, Yetti, you realize that the news reports everything that goes wrong? They never show people getting along and nothing happening, because that's not dramatic. No, they'll just show the Rodney King beating 50,000 times - helping to incite the 1992 riots that destroyed this city for a time! My apartment building has blacks, whites, Latinos, Russians, etc. and there are no racial tensions here. Is there tension due to obnoxious people blasting their stereos, etc.? Of course, but that has nothing to do with race! That has to do with consideration and common sense.

Besides, there was rioting when the Lakers won the NBA championship one year! If they lost, rioting still wouldn't be okay, but they won - and people still rioted! In my opinion, some people - the worst of the worst - are just looking for any excuse to cause mass chaos and mayhem. The racial motivation is only one excuse.

Am I saying racism doesn't exist at all? No, of course not. But it doesn't mean that the potential for racial violence lurks around every corner.

racial motivation is NEVER an excuse for violence. Fact is fact... Some of the worst occurred in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 AM

450 posts, read 1,202,844 times
I agree with you Sandy the news seens to always show the worse things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Of course, Yetti, you realize that the news reports everything that goes wrong? They never show people getting along and nothing happening, because that's not dramatic. No, they'll just show the Rodney King beating 50,000 times - helping to incite the 1992 riots that destroyed this city for a time! My apartment building has blacks, whites, Latinos, Russians, etc. and there are no racial tensions here. Is there tension due to obnoxious people blasting their stereos, etc.? Of course, but that has nothing to do with race! That has to do with consideration and common sense.

Besides, there was rioting when the Lakers won the NBA championship one year! If they lost, rioting still wouldn't be okay, but they won - and people still rioted! In my opinion, some people - the worst of the worst - are just looking for any excuse to cause mass chaos and mayhem. The racial motivation is only one excuse.

Am I saying racism doesn't exist at all? No, of course not. But it doesn't mean that the potential for racial violence lurks around every corner.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 11,437 times
wow this thread is kind of backwards, lol! "blacks" and "brown faces," lol!

wow. 2007????

anyways i just got back from visiting LA and it was very diverse, similiar to NYC.....loved the diversity myself, because I love many different cultures.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:31 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,844 times
Why is the life expectany so low for white males and not males in general. I like diversity also. As long as people are not violent and destroying my property I don't care what color they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Why don't you live there then? I can get you a nice apartment or house real cheap in L.A. You will love all the diversity there. The problem is that they don't like you. The life expectancy of a white person in most parts of LA is a few hours.

Look at city-data's data, if you need proof.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:46 PM

128 posts, read 461,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am of mixed green/gold/rustish-colored-orange descent and I take EXTREME exception to this statement. I am soooooooo mad right now. And anyway, school let out early and I'm bored. So I may as well have it out with you bigoted people here.

I get this ALL THE TIME. It's not hidden at all. People think all of us plaids are the same. I even see "Plaid is Bad" signs spray-painted over old Wells Fargo bilboards as I'm driving down the 57. It's upsetting and aggravating...and only tells you HOW MUCH LA SUX DUDE, OH MAN, JUST SUX.

And I tell you this from experience.

There are even "hidden racial messages" in the plaid descriptive words themselves. Think about it. What does "tartan" start with? "Tart". Oh as IF the Man isn't trying to keep the hate going wtih that one.

People think all plaids are the same just because of the colors of our skin. I can't walk down the street without people whispering "It's the Argyle Hellions!" and jumping out of my way. And job interviews? Forget it. Well...okay, so I haven't actually been ON any but what I've heard, from friends and, let me think, oh yeah, from comic strips is that Plaids can NOT get high-end jobs. Period. The green/gold/orange hatred here is unbelievable.

Say what you will...but until we get a Plaid mayor, we are going NOWHERE.

I just couldn't sit here and watch the hate continue!

Okay...I've said my piece.
i'm sorry what do you mean by PLAIDS???

Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Oh my goodness, Canuck, it was a joke! I'm not really plaid. I'm just one color. I mean, you know...plaid. Like little checks crossed with other checks. Like plaid clothing. I was trying to lighten the mood.

It's weird because your'e the second person now to take my plaid post seriously. I guess it was nowhere near as clever as I thought.

Somebody on this thread had said earlier (if I recall correctly--this was a while ago) that she worries about the plaids--I was going off on that joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles