Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Why out of all the other states are you interested in Los Angeles? There are other states that cost less and have beaches and probably lower unemployment. How about Virginia Beach or North Carolina which is way cheaper than here and people are very nice. Why is California always the first choice...the weather? T.V.? I don't get it.
Puffle...hon...that was just a joke!

Or did you quote my post by mistake?

I seriously didn't think anybody was going to take that seriously. Did you think there are actually plaid people?

Okay...if it was directed at me, then my reason for having moved to SoCal is my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 12:49 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,844 times
You ask how many companies have I worked for only 4 in the last 10 years I am a senior managment consultant and yes I see it everyday. Just because I am young and well educated doesn't exempt me from stupid people either. Yes there is a boys club here and I assume everywhere but not at one time did I say anything NEGATIVE ABOUT LA I was speaking on my experience living in Cinti not LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Are you joking? You think that's different from anywhere else? Having ovaries, I personally am well aware of the "boys' club"--and I've never lived in Cincinnati.

So how many companies have you worked for that you saw this high-management yadda yadda first hand? Just curious.

Yes, you can express *opinion*. But what you're expressing is *stated as fact*.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:04 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
You ask how many companies have I worked for only 4 in the last 10 years I am a senior managment consultant and yes I see it everyday. Just because I am young and well educated doesn't exempt me from stupid people either. Yes there is a boys club here and I assume everywhere but not at one time did I say anything NEGATIVE ABOUT LA I was speaking on my experience living in Cinti not LA.
Something's not adding up here and I don't trust your honesty...you say you're young but then you say you're well-educated and have worked for 10 years. College ending at 22 plus 10 years would put you at 32 which I wouldn't consider young. Also, four jobs in 10 years--job-hopping but you still manage to be a senior management consultant, yet you're complaining that your race (or one of them) holds you down? I'm white and if I job-hopped like that I sure wouldn't have managed to climb to senior management relying on me to make decisions for them. Companies have to trust you first. As far as speaking specifically of Cincinnati, I would wonder then what you're doing on an LA board.

The OP wants to move to LA. Not sure how/why you ended up here unless you yourself want to move to LA...? Would you care to share? Are you looking to move to LA?

Again...you may be speaking specifically of Cincinnati. Which I daresay the OP already has his own experiences with...since he lives there.

If you are indeed looking to LA you might want to start a thread of your own. OTOH...if you want specifically to complain about Cincinnati, wouldn't the Ohio board be the appropriate place?

(scratching head)

ETA: Never mind...I see that previously you were asking about moving to LA. I see also some other things too that confirm a lack of honesty so I'm gonna just leave this as is. :P Nevahmind.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-21-2007 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 29,758 times
Hi Scottie,

I'm from Ohio too (though it's been many years since I've lived there) and have been in L.A. for over six years (although I'll be moving back east soon).

I haven't seen anyone mention Hollywood as a good place to live but when I first moved here I got an apartment in Hollywood and I loved it! I lived in Hollywood and worked in Pasadena and it was great. I'm afraid rent has gone through the roof but I suggest looking for studios east of Fairfax around Franklin. You WILL find a place, it just takes a bit of looking. The eastern part of Hollywood towards Los Feliz and Silverlake is a great place to live with lots of things to do.

L.A. has great weather, a lot of wonderful people and so much to do. Having said that, the traffic does suck. You get used to it but then, it seems to be getting worse these days!

As for your "caucasian" comment: I know you didn't mean to open a racial can of worms. It's a valid concern. The neighborhood I live in now has a Chinese majority with Latinos making up the rest. There is nothing wrong with this and I like seeing the different aspects of Chinese culture around. But it does mean that a lot of the people I say "hello" to in the street don't speak my language (you'd be surprised how many people in L.A. don't speak any English at all and I mean not a word). But it's no big deal. It's just different and kind of hard to get a sense of community. I grew up in Ohio always being around white and black people and we all spoke English. It's just the language barrier here that's odd (I can manage a bit of Spanish but I don't have the energy to learn Chinese). Anyway, you willl never get better Mexican food than you will in L.A.!

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 35,932 times
Default Confusing times regarding prejudice and diversity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This isn't a comment to you cgmaetc, but I'm stunned that in 2007 that the above statements are still being said.

So glad times have changed.

To the OP, I'm African American and if you're afraid of running into a bunch of "us" don't worry yourself. There's not a huge population of blacks here, so rest your mind of that. I came here three years ago, temped in numerous "corporate" companies and I'm usually about a handful of black people in the office. I just found out that many LA blacks tend to work for post office, city, state or federal jobs. Thank God for that, because they would have no chance working for the "man" per se.

I haven't experienced any racism personally here, but when I don't see too many of my people working in certain types of jobs, it sort of speaks for itself.

As far as running into latinos, well, that's a different story. They are EVERYWHERE. But there should still be some lily-white enclaves somewhere for you to live and feel "safe".

Marilyn220,
I live in Boise, Idaho. We have diversity here, but not much. I was born in Florida, but raised here. Being 'afraid' of certain colors of skin just isn't part of mentality here. We've been given a bad 'rap' by the population of Neo-Nazi's in Northern Idaho, but luckily those ignorant jerks finally were pulled down by the State government, and the compound was open for anyone to go and help tear down...We started a bonfire, and loved it when the 'Whites Only' sign was forcefully thrown in. But, I always thought that Idaho had more possibility for prejudice than a large city like LA--because LA has so much diversity and so people are more exposed to races different than their own. But soon I will be moving to LA, and I'm learning otherwise, and I really am stunned.

I am seeing that the more diversity a city has, the more racial tension there is. What's this about? When will we be able to create a different U.S. than the mid 1600's-1865...1865-1970's? There is a deep rooted hurt that the U.S. caused our black american family here, I know (and also native american and pacific islanders). I'm lily-white, as you put it, and feel disgusted when I think of that gigantic wrong in U.S. history. There won't be anything anyone can do to right that wrong, but in the least, those of us here...now...in the U.S. can start to stop the cycle of fear and hate that we all play a part in.

See, I have been told that to stay safe in LA you're not supposed to look anyone in the eye...to not even look at their shoes. That if you do, their first thought it "What are YOU looking at??". I am going to miss Idaho so much because of this. Whether it is a black person, asian, european, hispanic, hawaiian, I look them in the eye while passing them on the street and offer them a "Hi, how are you doing today?" I seriously thought that there would be more open-minded people in a larger city, and I believe that there ARE...I'm not generalizing...but I'm seeing that the larger the city the higher the crime, right? Then, the statistics of who's doing what crimes gets published and people develop fears and generalizations about other races. Those other races feel that prejudice and fear of others and get angry back, causing them to become prejudice that these others are thinking badly of them. This causes them to continue to lash out, and then a cycle has been born. Once, while visiting my brother in Dallas, I was asked to leave the Redbird Mall. I was told it was 'Black Only'. This was early 90's, and now my brother says the tension is with hispanics mainly now, and that the blacks and whites have almost teamed up to help keep each other safe. I say that so you understand I've experienced SOME of these kinds of things.

Like I said, it has been a real eye-opener that there is less racial tension here in a small city like Boise than a large diverse city like LA. I know that the more races in one place the higher the chance for tension (low diversity, and there's not too many races to HAVE tension, right?), but you'd think that people, with more exposure to those others who're different than them in race, would be more accepting and appreciative of the diversity.

I've told friends I might have to change who I am for a few years while I'm there in LA. I am very friendly, and it's been hard, while practicing here, to not smile at people walking by...not saying hi...not making eye-contact. I just wish that the reason behind not being able to make eye-contact (the person thinking "what're YOU looking at???") would change, or that somehow those people who're defensive or who've experienced prejudice could read my mind and know I'm thinking, "Problem? I have NO problem with you, and in fact I am wanting to wish you a good day!"

The bottom line is that all races commit crime and are capable of being dangerous. I do not see that the problem is race, I see the problem as being socio-economic (OR, actually, 'politico-Bush'). Any person, whether black, white, or green, put into desperate situations where the government and society are working AGAINST them rather than WITH them (concerning getting work and making enough money to feed their family) is capable of commiting crimes out of need...then crimes out of frustration and anger towards society. Of course there are those crimes with no rhyme or reason, just emotional or mental problems...or just pure choice to hurt others, but I think these make up the smallest percentage.

Anyway, I cannot figure it out, and I am not a native californian much less used to ANY large city, so I know I'm no expert...these are just my observations. But I WILL tell you that what I've been told by those who've lived in LA (no one from here) or another large city, have told me that the people to be most careful around are those who're latino (illegal and desperate for food and shelter? legal and trying to beat the odds of making it in this 'new world'? or perhaps they sense there is this idea of them and are angry about that and become defensive and angry?). In MY opinion, if you look at the crimes of the 'white man' and follow this logic, then everyone should be most afraid and prejudice of us. ?? All I mean by all of this is I WISH there could be a day, a place, where we appreciate different colors of skin as well as being 'blind' to it in a good way--just seeing people as PEOPLE, not a color. That is how I see, and I hope I don't get myself hurt because I happen to make eye contact with someone who's skin happens to be different than mine, and they take offense. In SOME ways...I'd almost rather be hurt than have to not be kind to the people I run across in my day. Like I said, confusing time for me regarding prejudices and diversity...I know I might sound naive, but I'm just being honest--and I truly hope I can retain this 'naive' view after living in LA, rather than develop generalized ideas about certain people groups (except for the obvious conclusions that you need to keep in mind to remain safe and not a statistic).

I also wanted to say to you that I'm sorry that the U.S. has not evolved as much as it should have by this point to where you sometimes see things that "speak for themselves" concerning prejudice. Just so you know, if I saw you walking down the street with friends who, might, happen to also be black, I will not be afraid of you...: ). Please don't be afraid of me!!! Don't you just wish all this absolute insanity called racism would leave the world? I really really don't get it...I really really do not. People are people, although sometimes you get great cultural heritage from those of a different race than you--family traditions, family history, etc.--if the person is a first or second generation american. Maybe the world can never work this way, but I just want you to know I am sorry for any and every negative thing you might have experienced because of it.

For those of you LA folks, what is your feedback regarding this? What kind of point of views can you offer me being inside a city that DOES have these tensions.

Also, I want to have a realistic knowledge of crime and how to be safe, but not an inflated idea of it as some of my friends are giving me (all their horror stories). In the opinion of those who read this, what IS the truth about safety and staying safe, what things are good to practice to stay safe, and what crimes are you needed to keep safe from? Are there areas where certain crimes dominate? And (I feel like a silly small-towner asking this), what IS the danger and chance of being shot...being kidnapped or raped? What are the unspoken 'rules' Angelenos just KNOW that you could share with me? I really don't feel like getting shot and killed... ...as I'm sure you feel the same way! lol

Also, I will have up to 2500mo. for rent (I'm choosing to spend more on rent and maybe not save so that my few years in LA will be safe and a good experience), and don't need a large place. WHERE do you recommend to be a place where I could take my bike out to ride along the beach or to a coffee shop by myself without getting hurt? I'd like to not spend so much in rent, but I want to enjoy my time in LA, and I don't want to feel threatened and scared everyday. I don't want to live in an area that is highly 'snobby' though, because I'd NOT fit into glamourous LA...only the dread-lock, flip flop, bohemian LA. And I don't want to be in a city that's predominately white, because then I'd wonder if I was living around a lot of prejudice people or something. But I don't want to live in a dangerous area either. I've thought mostly about Marina Del Rey--it would be 2 miles to work, would never have to get onto the freeway system (I've seen downtown LA enough, and went to Beverly Hills once and got bored after about 5 minutes). I'd only use it to go to other beach areas, the Civic Center or other cultural activities or fairs and festivals....and Disneyland...I may be grown up, but I still LOVE Disneyland.

So, any ideas of what parts of Marina Del Rey are the safest, if Santa Monica is safe although it has a national stat for crime of 250 vs the national average of 100 and I've heard it's not 'so safe', how Venice Beach, Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach rate in these regards and, again, what areas are the safest (I'm not considering Manhattan Beach because it seems to be WAY too expensive, and seems to be having the rich and famous flock there...and I'm not interested in flash or pink feather pet collars), if Torrance really IS a good place (on Google Earth there seemed to be what looked like large rail car junk yards everywhere around the city) and again what would be the safest. Also, after living in a land-locked city for so long with always having the dream of living on the ocean, although with what I can put towards rent I could afford to, is it a good atmosphere? Is it the safer the closer you get to the ocean? Is the weather and air quality the best (I love foggy, rainy weather as well as sun...and more green stuff than desert)? Basically, I'd be sad to live in either a scary place I didn't feel safe, but also sad to live in a 'yuppie snobby' area where people aren't as friendly. But, ARE there places that are more friendly?

All insight and advice is appreciate very much!

All the best to everyone, and all the best to you, Marilyn220...bless you!!!

-eeka

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times
Default I need to clear some things up!!!!

Sheesh, what the heck happened ! First off, I have not said one single thing like "Where do the white people live, or I must live near white people". Thats absolutely ridiculous, if I cared that much about living around white people, do you seriously think I would consider moving to LA, the most diverse area in America??? SHEESH!! The Cincinnati guy took a simple comment and took everything way wrong and blew it out of proportion, I dont know what the heck his problem is or why he is even on an LA thread talking about Cincinnati! I didnt say anything wrong at all but it looked like I opened up a can of worms !! Im sorry if I got this started but Im still scratching my head to see what I said that triggered this!

Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.B View Post
Hi Scottie,

I'm from Ohio too (though it's been many years since I've lived there) and have been in L.A. for over six years (although I'll be moving back east soon).

I haven't seen anyone mention Hollywood as a good place to live but when I first moved here I got an apartment in Hollywood and I loved it! I lived in Hollywood and worked in Pasadena and it was great. I'm afraid rent has gone through the roof but I suggest looking for studios east of Fairfax around Franklin. You WILL find a place, it just takes a bit of looking. The eastern part of Hollywood towards Los Feliz and Silverlake is a great place to live with lots of things to do.

L.A. has great weather, a lot of wonderful people and so much to do. Having said that, the traffic does suck. You get used to it but then, it seems to be getting worse these days!

As for your "caucasian" comment: I know you didn't mean to open a racial can of worms. It's a valid concern. The neighborhood I live in now has a Chinese majority with Latinos making up the rest. There is nothing wrong with this and I like seeing the different aspects of Chinese culture around. But it does mean that a lot of the people I say "hello" to in the street don't speak my language (you'd be surprised how many people in L.A. don't speak any English at all and I mean not a word). But it's no big deal. It's just different and kind of hard to get a sense of community. I grew up in Ohio always being around white and black people and we all spoke English. It's just the language barrier here that's odd (I can manage a bit of Spanish but I don't have the energy to learn Chinese). Anyway, you willl never get better Mexican food than you will in L.A.!

Good luck!

Mrs.B,

Thank you so much for your answer, what a sigh of relief from the other posts on here !! As for renting near Hollywood, I won tbe able to afford that kind of rent. Im looking for a decent place in LA city limits that is nice and somewhat affordable! Its difficult to find though. Once again, thanks again for your response

Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 AM

321 posts, read 1,440,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Im considering moving to LA after graduation from college here in Ohio and am very concerned about alot of things. Could someone please help me with these questions, I really appreciate it.

Is it impossible to find a decent place in a nice area that is affordable around LA?
Are there any caucasian americans anywhere in the LA area?
Is traffic unbearable?

Thanks so much for everyones help
Housing is incredibly unaffordable. LA has had some of the worst racial riots in america, citing Rodney King Riot and the Zoot suit riots..so racial tensions are high... Traffic is some of the worst in the country... also Cal leads in police chases... Just watch the national news... most are from LA.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:46 AM

321 posts, read 1,440,284 times
Default Racial riots in LA

I think the original poster has valid concerns.. considering LA has the imfamous Zoot suit riots and the Rodney King riots where a truck driver was violently attacked beaten and left to die because he was white would scare anyone. That was a racially motivated attack and was seen by the entire world. LA has a reputation for horrific racial tensions. No one wants to be caught up in a scenario like that ... which will continue from what we hear about LA. You can't keep those riots or violence secret when its reported on the international news.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:13 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Of course, Yetti, you realize that the news reports everything that goes wrong? They never show people getting along and nothing happening, because that's not dramatic. No, they'll just show the Rodney King beating 50,000 times - helping to incite the 1992 riots that destroyed this city for a time! My apartment building has blacks, whites, Latinos, Russians, etc. and there are no racial tensions here. Is there tension due to obnoxious people blasting their stereos, etc.? Of course, but that has nothing to do with race! That has to do with consideration and common sense.

Besides, there was rioting when the Lakers won the NBA championship one year! If they lost, rioting still wouldn't be okay, but they won - and people still rioted! In my opinion, some people - the worst of the worst - are just looking for any excuse to cause mass chaos and mayhem. The racial motivation is only one excuse.

Am I saying racism doesn't exist at all? No, of course not. But it doesn't mean that the potential for racial violence lurks around every corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles