Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Giving homeless $$, change, food, drink etc is a complete waste of time. You are not helping them in any way, but are acting as a hindrance and keeping them from seeking out the assistance already in place for them. Not only that, you are shrugging them off onto the residents who live in that area and exposing those residents to public urination, alcohol & drug abuse, petty theft etc.

If you really care about homeless people, donate to a charitable organization that has resources to help those willing to accept help and improve their situation. Or if you really, reallly, really care, take them home and let them live with you for awhile.

How many of you would donate daily to a homeless person standing directly in front of your personal house.... anyone?
I donate all the time. Used clothes,food,water,a kind word of understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I donate all the time. Used clothes,food,water,a kind word of understanding.

To a shelter or homeless organization...great.

But will you donate all the time to someone standing 24/7 in front of your home? or is it conveniently in front of someone's home and while you are on your way home?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
To a shelter or homeless organization...great.

But will you donate all the time to someone standing 24/7 in front of your home? or is it conveniently in front of someone's home and while you are on your way home?
In Laguna Beach homeless people mostly hang around main beach and broadway. No homeless people are in my neighborhood because there is little foot traffic. I donate to shelters and food pantrys also personally on the street.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
In Laguna Beach homeless people mostly hang around main beach and broadway. No homeless people are in my neighborhood because there is little foot traffic. I donate to shelters and food pantrys also personally on the street.
Than that is perfect for you. The homeless are down on the beach and whenever you feel a need to give, you can leave your neighborhood and go down there and donate.

Then you can return home and forget about them. cool.

But, what if someone who has a business on the beachfront, a hotel, beach house, etc. saw you donating to the homeless in front of his business and paid a group of the homeless to stand in front of your house. To drink, smoke, talk etc all night long. Some people that drive by may give them some food or even a bike. The food they didn't want would go on the street along with their other trash and they would sleep on your lawn & do "business" in your bushes.

Then, that beach/guy's family could go over to your house and give them all kinds of left overs, old clothes, furniture etc. and the homeless could keep it on the curb in front of your house.. He could tell his church group and they too could go by your house and your block to feed all the homeless:;

Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM

291 posts, read 414,003 times
not to mention the value of your property going down to nothing , we have similar problem with all the non speaking english types that have moved off the main highway to try and sell door to door anything from manure to fruits. southern ca is really turning into a big slum everywhere.
cant wait until the shoes on the other foot for you, then you'll change you
liberal crap tune!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAndBroke View Post
not to mention the value of your property going down to nothing , we have similar problem with all the non speaking english types that have moved off the main highway to try and sell door to door anything from manure to fruits. southern ca is really turning into a big slum everywhere.
cant wait until the shoes on the other foot for you, then you'll change you
liberal crap tune!
Well this really isn't about immigrants. But, keep in mind, cheap labor is why they are in demand and that is not exclusive to a liberal or conservative.

This is about bums and those that like to give them money as long as they arent directly/negatively effecting them.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Than that is perfect for you. The homeless are down on the beach and whenever you feel a need to give, you can leave your neighborhood and go down there and donate.

Then you can return home and forget about them. cool.

But, what if someone who has a business on the beachfront, a hotel, beach house, etc. saw you donating to the homeless in front of his business and paid a group of the homeless to stand in front of your house. To drink, smoke, talk etc all night long. Some people that drive by may give them some food or even a bike. The food they didn't want would go on the street along with their other trash and they would sleep on your lawn & do "business" in your bushes.

Then, that beach/guy's family could go over to your house and give them all kinds of left overs, old clothes, furniture etc. and the homeless could keep it on the curb in front of your house.. He could tell his church group and they too could go by your house and your block to feed all the homeless:;
A beach park, city streets, the ocean,public restrooms,the sand is all called PUBLIC DOMAIN. Someone living on my lawn or in my bushes is PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Be nice -- thanks.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
A beach park, city streets, the ocean,public restrooms,the sand is all called PUBLIC DOMAIN. Someone living on my lawn or in my bushes is PRIVATE PROPERTY.
Ok how about on the sidewalk in front of your house. That belongs to the City. Or, if you dont have a sidewalk, how about on the curb? Or how about if you happen to live directly across the street from a city easement.

Really, I just want to know if they hung out in front of your house, in front of your kids, would you still donate and give a sympathetic word on your way to work?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Yes. Treat a person as you would want to be treated. I have a strong backbone as well,in the case where i was being harrassed or threatened i will give it right back to them double time. bring it!. Usually that is never the case though.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Yes. Treat a person as you would want to be treated. I have a strong backbone as well,in the case where i was being harrassed or threatened i will give it right back to them double time. bring it!. Usually that is never the case though.
If it's never the case, why bring it up?

Because they don't hang around your house and you dont have to deal with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles