U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:18 PM

26,503 posts, read 24,282,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Look, the key to being happy in L.A. is not having a commute. If you want to go shopping on Saturday afternoon or you want to do dinner at 7pm the traffic isn't that bad normally. But then again I live in a place that's more often or not against traffic and I am self-employed with no commute, so maybe I'm anti-jaded.
I'm with you, shang. I'm self-employed too. If I lived there, I probably wouldn't be driving as much as I do when I'm visiting, so it still may be doable for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,017,126 times
You CANNOT compare LA to places like London and Paris. For one, LA is a sprawling place with nowhere near the density. Second, it doesn't have one downtown but more like five of them, so people are heading in every direction at every time. Third, there's a car culture here where every member of a family plus their dog has a car, and they use it to drive two blocks away. I've never seen any other metro with a HOV lane that only requires two people in the car. Finally, LA's mass transit is the worst out of any major metro area - SF, Portland, Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, Philadelphia - except for maybe Phoenix. For those who say it isn't too bad, you're making Moderator cut: lemonade out of Moderator cut: lemons.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-22-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM

705 posts, read 3,000,160 times
^^ ha ha ha ha ha

Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
I've never seen any other metro with a HOV lane that only requires two people in the car.
San Diego County converted it's HOV lanes to toll lanes, which was wise. I don't think L.A. County has figured it out yet.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,214,977 times
Compare LA region to NYC region

Most >$200K/yr workers residing in NYC suburbs use some form of mass transit for daily commute into Manhattan...most daily door-to-door commutes from suburbs to Manhattan are ~90mins, each-way...leaving the worker either frozen or wet or sweaty (depending upon time of yr) by time one arrives at destination

Suspect many >$200K/yr workers in LA region have much shorter, door-to-door commutes...and time spent in a spacious, private, climate-controlled new Accord or Mercedes is usually preferred vs mass transit exposure to unwashed masses, some of whom hope to rob fellow passengers...or just assault 'em w/their hygiene "issues"

No one "needs" to sit in traffic anywhere to shop or dine for personal purposes....savvy locals know usual trade-offs and make choices

The inevitably dumpy cars stuck in wkend traffic on LA fwys tend to be cars of the clueless obese from inland LA going to a public beach or mall somewhere to escape heat/smog and to kill time....sort of like the dumpy cars one sees on NYC region's clogged fwys on wkends...

Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
^^ ha ha ha ha ha
It seems that you often dismiss any negative comment about Los Angeles.

Believe it or not, there are many people who don't see things your way. Some people really want to live in L.A., and they're trying to figure out how to handle some of the problems they see by chatting with others here.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
The inevitably dumpy cars stuck in wkend traffic on LA fwys tend to be cars of the clueless obese from inland LA going to a public beach or mall somewhere to escape heat/smog and to kill time....sort of like the dumpy cars one sees on NYC region's clogged fwys on wkends...
Wow. Both arrogant and snobby in the same breath. Congratulations.

No, one need not be clueless or obese to be frustrated with traffic. One may just be trying to take Laurel Canyon from Studio City to West Hollywood, or the 101 from Hollywood to Downtown.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:40 PM

We dont need any more lanes on our freeway, besides theres no more room. How is the county going to construct any more lanes on the 101, 5, 10, or 110?? A portion of the 110 is double decked because of the lack of space. LA needs to focus on better public transportation not re-enforcing car culture. Most of LA was built soon after WWII, in contrast to San Diego where even in the city itself there is much open space. LA has the red line, green line, blue line, gold line and soon will open the new expo line and yellow line to add to its light rail and subway but what does San Diego have? an okay bus system and trolley. LA rapid buses during peak hrs often stop every 7 mins! unlike other bus systems around so cal. We may be suffering more traffic but once the MTA finishes more rail lines the problems will aleviate; even if it takes 20-50 yrs. Id rather wait than see this city build more lanes and 50 yrs from now have an even greater problem.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It seems that you often dismiss any negative comment about Los Angeles.

Believe it or not, there are many people who don't see things your way. Some people really want to live in L.A., and they're trying to figure out how to handle some of the problems they see by chatting with others here.
I see no point in trying to argue. People here are grown ups and changing the mind of an adult is almost impossible. LA has many problems but I have a positive outlook on things. It may sound like I believe LA is the best city in the world but my travels show me a lot of whats out there and no, I dont think LA is the best but I do love it.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM

373 posts, read 1,052,453 times
Driving in LA is fun. There's just so much to look at through the windshield. It's like watching TV but better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles