U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
Driving in LA is fun. There's just so much to look at through the windshield.

It's like watching TV but better.
Here's channel 69:

Last edited by Charles; 02-22-2009 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:34 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,010,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here's channel 69:
That's DEFINITELY not LA.

There's no way the other side would have such little traffic.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,135,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
I've never seen any other metro with a HOV lane that only requires two people in the car.
The HOV lanes in the DC Metro area only require two people. Trust me, I lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Finally, LA's mass transit is the worst out of any major metro area - SF, Portland, Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, Philadelphia - except for maybe Phoenix. For those who say it isn't too bad, you're making Moderator cut: lemonade out of Moderator cut: lemons.
Ever tried mass transit in Miami, Houston, Dallas, Baltimore, or Detroit? Detroit doesn't even have a single rail line - LA has four (soon to be five) of them.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,010,173 times
That's because Detroit doesn't need rail. Driving rush hour in Detroit is like driving in LA at 10pm. Plus I can find 50 parking spots in any area of metro Detroit during the time it takes me to find a parking spot in LA.

Comparing buses, if you take the Woodward Ave Bus, you can get from Campus Martius to Pontiac and back in the time it takes to ride from Hollywood to the west side. Woodward Ave is a freakin' autobahn compared to any artery in LA.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
i disagree.

i have an active social life. on weekends i can go from crenshaw to old town to the eastside.

even in the rain.

sometimes i take freeways, sometimes i take surface streets.
its no big deal. you learn to deal. but it does help that i limit my driving to the weekends.

i love driving!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,240,020 times
Driving in LA is cool. Especially if you know the back streets and shortcuts.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM

26,487 posts, read 24,224,544 times
Here's comments from a blog on the LA Times website about the traffic situation - almost all of the comments are from people who live in L.A.:

Have you finally had it? | Bottleneck Blog | Los Angeles Times

A typical post:

"We are a laughing stock of the world. I live 2.5 miles from my office (Westwood to Brentwood) and it can take me 45 minutes during rush hour. I don't work conventional hours so I try to avoid it. But if I can't get out of the office by 4:00, I feel stuck and stranded there until 7:00. That's a ridiculous way to live. To feel "I can't get there from here" when my trips are all very short indeed, is ridiculous. Sure living in Westwood means that I have everything I need within 5 miles, and yet I still feel I have to hide and I cannot run a single errand past noon."

Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM

20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
One possible key to being happy in LA, commute-wise, is to live and work along the metro lines. A friend of mine lived in Koreatown and worked in downtown, and she was plenty happy about that. It's actually surprising how good the public transportation in a very limited expanse of LA (the city, not the county which is just balls).

This is a bit of a sidenote, but it's just so odd to me that a place with such beautiful year-round weather would do so little advocate biking and walking. Even when it's incredibly hot, it's rarely uncomfortably muggy, and cutting through the air while biking just makes it so much better. The only thing is how limited bike lanes are, and how little consideration drivers have for bicyclists.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 PM

26,487 posts, read 24,224,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This is a bit of a sidenote, but it's just so odd to me that a place with such beautiful year-round weather would do so little advocate biking and walking. Even when it's incredibly hot, it's rarely uncomfortably muggy, and cutting through the air while biking just makes it so much better. The only thing is how limited bike lanes are, and how little consideration drivers have for bicyclists.
There's a sentiment in what some would call "granola cities" like Boulder, Portland, and San Francisco, that cycling is cool and responsible. L.A. doesn't have much of that type of culture. L.A. is more focused on looking good, looking glamorous, and privatizing transportation to the point that paying a valet to park your car is seen as normal, and if you want to park your own car when a valet is available, you're seen as a bit of an oddball.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,135,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
if you want to park your own car when a valet is available, you're seen as a bit of an oddball.
One thing I don't understand is why so many people pay $4+ for valet parking when there is plenty of free street parking (gasp!) available. Just circle the block, find a spot, read the signs, and then....here's the big one....WALK to wherever you were going. I do it all the time and trust me, it's no big deal!

Although I must say, Santa Monica and Venice have developed quite a large and visible cycling culture. You see tons of people biking up and down Main Street and Abbot Kinney Blvd, many times carrying items in baskets attached to the front of the bike, so it's likely they're not just cycling for pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles