U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,460,496 times

Advertisements

i live in santa monica and agree with matt that many people walk and cycle in the area. you can go to main st any time between 10am and 2am and there will be bikes at almost every rack on the street. although many people do drive to the area, there are many people who live between lincoln and the ocean who walk to main st. it's certainly no new york, but it is one of the most walkable neighborhoods in LA.

back to the OP's original observation, it is refreshing being able to avoid driving and actually walk somewhere. i consider myself lucky that I live in a neighborhood where this is possible and where in many instances, it is easier to walk/cycle to destinations than get in a car, risk sitting in traffic, and look forever for a parking spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:43 PM

26,503 posts, read 24,259,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
back to the OP's original observation, it is refreshing being able to avoid driving and actually walk somewhere. i consider myself lucky that I live in a neighborhood where this is possible and where in many instances, it is easier to walk/cycle to destinations than get in a car, risk sitting in traffic, and look forever for a parking spot.
I did notice the other day (several times) that the people walking along the sidewalks were making faster progress than I was making in my car on Sunset, Santa Monica, and Melrose.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,014,673 times
If people think LA is a walking/biking haven, that's great. Lord knows we need more of em. As you keep an eye open for automobile traffic, just make sure you don't get run over by a GEM driver who thinks they're made to drive down bike lanes.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 PM

70 posts, read 274,472 times
i agree. i made it a number 1 priority to live within walking distance to work. it feels great to wake up at 7:40, get ready, walk and be at work at 8am

Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,219,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhi View Post
i agree. i made it a number 1 priority to live within walking distance to work. it feels great to wake up at 7:40, get ready, walk and be at work at 8am
Methinks you exaggerate just a tad. That's barely enough time to do the 3 S's, let alone walk.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,975 posts, read 14,154,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Methinks you exaggerate just a tad. That's barely enough time to do the 3 S's, let alone walk.
You got that right, and most people don't know what the 3 S's are. Damn! It takes me almost an hour to drink a double cup of coffee, before I'll even consider the 3 S's.

The most reasonable thing to do is to live close enough to work, or work close enough to home, that your commute is not unreasonable. I believe that 20 minutes is good and 30 minutes is maximum. YMMV

Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM

772 posts, read 3,330,026 times
The Westside, especially near the 405, is a traffic slog regardless of the time or method of transportation. But it is possible to live along Rapid bus/Metro lines in other nice areas that take a lot of the stress out of the commute. It's the people who live in Chino and commute to Glendale who have few options. As long as we're in Los Angeles, we will always live close to our jobs.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,914,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You got that right, and most people don't know what the 3 S's are.
Shave, Smartass post on City Data, and Shower.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,584,280 times
I completely disagree with the OP. LA is a town that is enjoyed most with the luxury and convenience of a nice set of wheels. LA is so big and sprawling with so many diverse and interesting nooks and crannies to see. You would never discover its many secret hideaways and enchanting vistas without a car. Of course weekday traffic is bad but traffic is considerably lighter on weekends especially on surface streets. Driving up PCH to Malibu on a spectacularly beautiful day like last Sunday with the wind softly blowing and the music playing is priceless.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 PM

672 posts, read 1,793,987 times
I have to say that on days like today when getting the 11 miles from West LA to the Crenshaw District on two purportedly "express" buses took 1hr 45min, not having a car seems like insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles