U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My visits to L.A. have led me to the conclusion that driving almost anywhere is stressful - and occasionally, maddening.

It seems that it would be prudent for any newcomer to set up his (or her) life so that he rarely has to leave his neighborhood, and can walk to a variety of places for everyday needs.

Agree? Disagree?
I lived for three years in two drastically different areas (Hollywood and South Pasadena) and did not drive. It is ideal if one can manage to find a contained life. I commuted via bus from Hollywood to Pasadena and loved it most of the time; it gave me time to read.

On the other hand, it can be a lot of fun driving around LA. There are so many interesting areas to explore, and realistically sometimes it just takes too long to get places on the bus. I think the ideal situation would be to not HAVE to drive - to have an easy walk/bike/train/rapid bus work commute, and plenty of staples within walking distance - but to still have ready access to a car for those days you want to go somewhere far away for a late night (and not have to worry about night bus service or an expensive taxi ride home or getting a ride) or just for driving around to see what's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,549 posts, read 14,051,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
LA is a town that is enjoyed most with the luxury and convenience of a nice set of wheels.
It is, but you don't want to waste your wheel time spending it 2 hours each way on your commute.

I love my car but I sure don't want to spend 4 hours a day driving it, unless I'm on the Interstate on my vacation.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
Having a double cup of coffee usually induces one of the esses here in Jackland.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,579,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It is, but you don't want to waste your wheel time spending it 2 hours each way on your commute.
Well, that's clearly ill advised and not what I was talking about.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:38 AM

364 posts, read 862,931 times
I always used alternative transportation for my work commutes. I could read, sleep and just relax before and after work. I loved it. Plus I wasn't as stressed out as my colleagues who drove to work. On my 0ff-hours, I love driving through L.A. We really do have some of the best freeway systems around. Yes, they're congested and surface streets are often quicker but I've always gotten where I needed to go. But if you can utilize alternative transportation for those work commutes, please do so. You won't regret it.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 PM

142 posts, read 686,967 times
I guess each to his own, but I rather drive than be stuck in public transportation.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:06 PM

252 posts, read 837,497 times
I totally agree. The closer you can live to where you work, the happier, you'll be (unless you employment is located somewhere terrible...).

Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,374 times
Motorcycle, a good beater bicycle, a nice set of legs and access to the Red or Gold Line is all ya need to enjoy LA.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:14 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,570,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhi View Post
i agree. i made it a number 1 priority to live within walking distance to work. it feels great to wake up at 7:40, get ready, walk and be at work at 8am
I'll buy this if you work from home.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:17 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,570,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You got that right, and most people don't know what the 3 S's are. Damn! It takes me almost an hour to drink a double cup of coffee, before I'll even consider the 3 S's.

The most reasonable thing to do is to live close enough to work, or work close enough to home, that your commute is not unreasonable. I believe that 20 minutes is good and 30 minutes is maximum. YMMV
I rise at 5:30 to shower, dress, primp and high tail it to catch the 6:16am bus for work. I'm allergic to mornings so I got the routine down pat to avoid having to wake up any earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles