Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times

Advertisements

More Julia Sweeney (o my calamities) than Tina Fey (fresh as new paint.)
Actually, scriptchick has bought into the surreal unreality of relative weight in Hollywood if she thinks this
http://www.rexfeatures.com/search/?k...ch_newest.y=11 (with photos taken ten days ago) represents "fat." Don't take the tabloids so seriously. P.S. Hollywood aspirers should know about this Rex Features site anyway. It's a pro site showcasing photojournalist images of celebs for sale: you can see what's out there, so to speak, in your industry.

Last edited by fastfilm; 02-27-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM

13 posts, read 30,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
More Julia Sweeney (o my calamities) than Tina Fey (fresh as new paint.)
Actually, scriptchick has bought into the surreal unreality of relative weight in Hollywood if she thinks this
Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library (with photos taken ten days ago) represents "fat." Don't take the tabloids so seriously. P.S. Hollywood aspirers should know about this Rex Features site anyway. It's a pro site showcasing photojournalist images of celebs for sale: you can see what's out there, so to speak, in your industry.

Oh my goodness. I was being facetious for crying out loud. I don't believe a tall woman who is 160 pounds is fat! It's a shame my humor doesn't translate to this post. Such a shame. By the way, I think Tyra Banks looks just fine. Go Tyra. Love the show.

On another note, nmita, I have taken your posts to heart and while I don't plan on derailing my move to California, I will be seeing how things go in Atlanta first. I will move in with someone here for a couple of months and save up more money. I will get headshots and go on auditions and give it a real shot. And when I have either enough money (and when is there ever enough?) or an agent or a film role in California, I will move.

So thank you all for the thoughts and support. I really appreciate it and think hey, it'll be there in a few more months. I've waited 5 years. I can wait a few months. So there it is. July, I hope to be in California or at least by August. But with a good and safe plan. Wish me luck and thanks again.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptChick27 View Post
Wow. You must think me a real dunce. Not being funny, being totally serious. I am aware of how the business works and I hope to someday acquire a SAG card as an extra. And I know how to swim underwater if that makes any sense. I can drive and have attended Driver's Ed and done very minimal driving exercises. I know that in the future, I will have to get a car but insurance is something I can't afford, along with the car itself. So it just makes more sense to me to just put it on hold for now. And by the way, in response to getting real credits, that has a lot to do with my lack of money above anything else. It's hard to be an actress with no money. I opted for acting classes instead of headshots so right now, that's all I have. Every one of my classes I've been in, I was the best in the class. Not being cocky. It's true. I got it better and tried harder and was pretty funny too. I have a lot of personality even if it doesn't show in my posts. I'm very witty as well. Someone called me the next Tina Fey, which is the ultimate compliment. I was like "really?" It was amazing. By the way, Tyra Banks is fat. She's like 40 pounds heavier than I am.

And this communication thing you brought up, I don't get. If you knew me in real life and had an inkling of the person I am, you would want me to stop communicating with you, because I can talk a mile a minute forever. I don't usually at first cuz I'm a tad shy but I open up quickly and you can't shut me up. I know how to network, and I just love talking about myself so I think I'll do fine in that department. I can do anything cuz like I said, I'm an actress, meaning I know how to pretend I like people and I'm a new character everyday. Sometimes, I don't know who I am. It's weird. I think I touched on everything you mentioned. You seem very tough and kind of abrasive. I'm more passive and considerate. I'm a very good person. I don't do drugs or sex or anything really so I probably am NOT cut out for this business. Being that I'm not 15. I mean Miley Cyrus is more experienced than I am. Sheesh. That's sad. And it's not like I'm religious either. I believe in God but don't believe in organized religion. I just don't want that kind of life. I want friends, nothing more. I doubt I'll find any in Cali, but at least I'll be around other actors. Maybe learn stuff I'm not here with these amateurs. Although I'm an amateur. But these people are real amateurs. I hope they start to get better soon cuz I don't want them sucking the life out of my scenes. Maybe I will make them better. They can learn from me. Anyway, once again, I am not cocky or arrogant. Just good at what I do and serious about it. And everyone will see in the end that I will be the exception to the unfair rule. I will be somebody and I won't have to be a prostitute to make it happen. You'll see. You'll all see.

Okay, that was weird. And this is my last post cuz I have a life and an audition to get into this showcase tonight. I'm a ragdoll that's been discarded. Wish me luck. Since that's all I'm missing. Ciao.
Well, I have no idea about your looks or your talent, but you're crazy, narcissistic and annoying enough to be an actress. Enjoy your Oscar!

Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 AM

Default Uh huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
Well, I have no idea about your looks or your talent, but you're crazy, narcissistic and annoying enough to be an actress. Enjoy your Oscar!
It's such a shame that humor doesn't translate in this posts cuz if you heard my tone, you'd know I'm just funning around. I guess I'm too witty for my own good. Maybe I should just be serious all the time. I don't know. Wow. But I am annoying. I'll give you that. Which is why I usually try not to talk much. And I realize I will never win an Oscar. I'm not that vain. Or vain at all, really. I lied. I'm still posting. Sorry. But anyway, in order to win an Oscar, I'd have to do a nude scene. That's the criteria these days. Or maybe I could win Best Supporting Actress. That one doesn't usually require nudity even though Marisa Tomei got nekkid in The Wrestler. All the other girls didn't, so maybe I'd have a shot then. If I were a pretty girl playing ugly. But I'm the opposite so that wouldn't work.

Anyway, thanks so much for bearing me and I won't annoy you any longer.

P.S.-My humor is a defense mechanism. I have feelings. Shocker.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:26 AM

293 posts, read 893,426 times
Talking Go for it!!

You will never know, if you don't do it!!! High Five!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 PM

Default Update on my situation...

Hey, guys. Been a while since I've posted. Anyway, the plan is still in motion and I am all set to transfer to Alhambra. I have a plan to get either acting work(good luck, right) or another part-time job so I can work 7 days a week and get paid hopefully 2000 a month combined. I'm looking for a cheap room around Pasadena at the moment. Something for maybe 500 a month. Until I have enough to get my own studio. Which will be hard considering I don't have credit (cuz I have actual money, why borrow?, don't get it) and that seems to be a big issue with people. Looks like I'll be rooming for a while.

Anyway, my acting career is getting less non-existent. I'm even getting some headshots. Which I was told by my acting coach should suffice in LA. Hope so. I'm trying to get extra work here so I can be on a set of a movie. And get paid. Cha-ching. Every bit helps. Anyway, things are going well so far and it looks like I might be able to make this happen with a lot of hard work. But I'm ready. Wish me luck, guys. I'm headed to LA May 28th.

Can't wait to see all the great vegan restaurants too.

Gotta be better than the ones in Atlanta. Sheesh. What a waste of money.

Well, I guess this concludes my posts. Take care, guys and thanks for the concern.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,936 times
Scriptchick27,

You will need as much money as you can to live here in Los Angeles. The entertainment business is tough, and here in Los Angeles wannabe bee actors/performers come out here by the thousands. Beautiful/pretty women come a dime a dozen. Some will make it but most will not. Those that do not are now working at other jobs other than entertainment. Go to any known restaurant/coffee shop in Los Angeles and you will see men and women who are now older who once had the same dream you have.

If you want to do extra work to earn extra money then contact Central Casting http://www.centralcasting.org/LA/actors/index.html Extra work is not easy. You will need a car (you never know where the location will be), you will get bored, and the waiting around is awful, but for someone who is wanting the experience it could be a good thing. At least we will usually feed you well!

You need to earn/get your SAG card (not cheap), you will need an agent (not easy), and it is good to have some tape (or whatever) of your work.You should plan to study your craft (not cheap) with some of the known professionals in the business if you are serious.

If you are sincere about what you want to do, and you have the talent, persistence, and look decent then by all means continue with your dream.

Break a leg!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 PM

28 posts, read 67,125 times
Scriptchick, I don't know if you remember my posts, but I remember you because you are basically a Georgian version of my girlfriend and this gives me some sort of reason to give you my 2 cents.

At least you're pursuing your ambitions. You may not have listened to ALL of our advice but it seems like you absorbed some, which is fine. I think you would do better developing a skill that will pay the bills. Think about dental assisting or respiratory therapy or something, these skills take less than a year to obtain and could increase your pay to between 20 and 30 dollars an hour. There's going to be an initial investment in schooling but take out a loan and build credit, for Hollywood's sake. Credit is NOT your enemy!!! I would also suggest having the patience to save up a $15,000 nest egg for the hard times. These are suggestions to facilitate success. You could "get by" with your current plan, but I don't think you'll find success with it. Don't forget you have to pay monthly to even be considered for roles. You'll be sinking $1000 a month in having the opportunity to be cast, plus rent, plus car insurance, plus a car payment if you don't already own your vehicle.

My advice comes solely from my plan to move to LA and the year of planning I've gone through:
-I own my car, it is a 2003 and very reliable.
-I have 3 professional computer networking certifications so I can get the day job I need in LA starting out
-I have a full time job in Kansas City that allows me to save for this move
-I have paid for my recording studio in full
-I am enrolled at the Berklee School of Music online for a Studio Production Professional Certificate
-I have 6 years of gigging experience and played with some national acts.
-I've recorded in LA and met some producers for Hollywood and Casablanca records
-I have paid over $15,000 for marketing/recording/getting screwwed for my band (and learned a lot)
-I've read volumes of books dealing with making ends meet as a musician
-I've never met a person worth meeting who doesn't like me
-I'm 21 years old
-I have a very marketable look.

I didn't start out with all that stuff (except for the look, thanks Mom), I worked my flipping butt off and I have no plans to slow down. I am going to succeed, because I refuse to leave room for luck. To me, success is doing what I love in a place that I love. I want to live in LA for the culture and the weather. I want to make music because I'm good at it, I love to do it, and it's the only thing that gives me 100% satisfaction in life (though I love life in general, even as a network administrator. This outlook is critical in whatever version of success you deem acceptable). The biggest reason that I want to make music is that anyone who listens to my music has a lot to gain from my perspectives on life. I sincerely want to change the way people think about each other using musical/dramatic expression. I am confident in these things, I am confident in myself, and I am bored at work (which is why I'm even bothering with this post). Anything gained beyond my definition of success is hopes and dreams and frankly; relatively unimportant to me. I hope that you are successful even if you ignore what I say.

At the very least, try to define success in a tangible way. How else will you know if you've done a good job?

Don't forget to come back and tell us what stinkholes we are after you're rich and famous.

Last edited by MrQuincy; 04-16-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 104,403 times
You should go for it. If you're single and have nothing to tie you down, you'll never have this opportunity again. But get this, $500 monthly for rent in LA is probably a dump and an unsafe neighborhood - even if you have a roommate. You won't be able to live on the salary you mentioned. A big part of LA living is going out and having fun. You are going to be poor. However, if you are resourceful, get another PT job (like on Craigslist) to make ends meet. Okay, I don't intend to be rude, but do you know how many people move here to make it in the industry? That is completely rhetorical. All that said...go for it! You'll be surrounded with people just like you. You'll regret it if you don't.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 PM

51 posts, read 130,251 times
Follow your dreams man, 'cause we all die young!! I am going to study at GIT in 2010. I come from South Africa, so the money issue is a real big one for me!! I will have about $6000, and another $9000 for rent saved up. My fiance and I are going to together, and I've seen o.k. apartments for about $600p/m. Or rent a room in a house. Once you have that dream, and you have the kind of passion and determination I have, there is no other choice but to go out there and do it! I say go for it, life is too short not try the things you feel strongly about, and if you fail, well at least you can say you tried!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles