Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,871 times

Advertisements

Any help will be so much appreciated. I've spent lots of time in LA commuting and even lived briefly in Pasadena. But the one thing I've noticed about LA is that at least near Glendale and Pasadena, it seems so segregated. NYC is such a melting pot, but in LA I see so many keeping to their own, the Armenians, the Asians, the Mexicans, senior citizens, and I guess that would mean whites too. I'm a 30 year old white male and will be working right off the 134 on Brand Blvd. My question to you is where can I live, that is close to Glendale (20 min with traffic) that has a lot of young professionals? I don't care about their race or ethnicity, but a place where young professionals can hang, work, and live together would be ideal. I know they live at the beach, but that isn't an option. Can someone give me a suggesion? Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
so pasadena didn't cut it for you? you may consider los feliz, silver lake and eagle rock, all of which are very close to glendale.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 AM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
Pasadena or Silver Lake if you want to be within 20 minutes. If Pasadena, stay below the 210 Freeway and you will be fine.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,871 times
thank you both so much. i mapquested both and they say only about 12 minutes or so to the office. a bit scared about the 5 and 2 though. when i used to drive from the rose bowl it was a 12 minute round trip door to door and i never hit any traffic (i forgot to watch traffic coming eastbound on the 134 at that time but i don't remember it being bad). when i get out there next month, i will test out both of these places and see how the drive time is at 8 am. do you still think that time holds true during rush hour? thanks again for your input!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
The 2 is the smoothest Freeway in LA as it's only used by one or two communities. There is onyl traffic in the morning as you get South on the 2 heading towards the 110 into downtown.

Traveling from Pasadena to Glendale in the morning on the 134 (depending on where you are in Pasadena) shouldn't be more than 15 minutes as that time of day, although you will notice some slow down around Brand and Central.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 27,302 times
Try La Canada Flintridge....much classier area than Glendale, and most of the people are white, and (or) European., though I know you don't care, but I feel more comfortable there., or Toluca Lake, but then that's a little farther.
No need to learn Armenian. You won't struggle that much when you go to the local market or bank...I mean as much as I respect their culture, but for crying out loud,..in Glendale you feel like you live in Armenia or the middle east.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 27,302 times
Oh, yeah, I am also from New York, and I know ...what a difference in everything!!! New York is much more international, not to mention open-minded.. Lots of European influence,.. which I love, ..because of my background..People are more professional, and identify more with like minded people, professional with professional,..and etc... versus in Glendale it's about the culture, because the race between Armenians and Mexicans or central- americans look very similar , sometimes you can't tell them apart!!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,910 times
thanks guyatwork and argenti. your replies are really helping me. argenti, how is the 2 south in the am commute? guyatwork says it's the best highway if you have to be on one. also, are there any hip places, you know like some pubs, Starbucks, community activities, and a younger crowd? thanks again everyone. sorry if this posts 2x.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenti View Post
Try La Canada Flintridge....much classier area than Glendale, and most of the people are white, and (or) European., though I know you don't care, but I feel more comfortable there., or Toluca Lake, but then that's a little farther.
No need to learn Armenian. You won't struggle that much when you go to the local market or bank...I mean as much as I respect their culture, but for crying out loud,..in Glendale you feel like you live in Armenia or the middle east.
How long has it been since you've lived there? The area is becoming increasingly Korean -- Korean groceries, Korean banks, etc.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyson View Post
thanks guyatwork and argenti. your replies are really helping me. argenti, how is the 2 south in the am commute? guyatwork says it's the best highway if you have to be on one. also, are there any hip places, you know like some pubs, Starbucks, community activities, and a younger crowd? thanks again everyone. sorry if this posts 2x.
I don't believe LaCanada has a young hip crowd. The average home is $2 million to buy and there are very few apartments. I know several doctors and scientists (JPL) who live there in houses.

If you are looking for young and hip in the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area, your best bests are: 1) Pasadena, near Cal Tech or Old Town; 2) Burbank above Glenoaks near Media Center Mall; 3) I dunno where else since most people under 30 I know are still living at home with mom and dad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles