U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,918,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i have noticed that the majority of transpalnts that i have come across DO land in NH and other parts of the valley!

doesnt nec. mean these areas are up and coming, but it does make me wonder about the appeal.

is the central city to dense? to gritty? are the closer to the industry by being up in the valley?
makes me
It's all about the $$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM

219 posts, read 533,661 times
I'm a little concerned that a recession, prolonged or otherwise, will cause some of these up and coming areas to degentrify.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM

122 posts, read 319,927 times
Downtown is probably a good candidate, although it will probably be a good 10 years before it even begins to rival any other major city. It will never ascede to like S.F. but as they continue to build and sell the lcondos and lofts this will drive prices up which translates into the transient and lower income people moving out and your younger professionals moving in.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 PM

122 posts, read 319,927 times
I live in the Palms area of West Los Angeles and there has been a definite influx of young affluent Japanese moving into the area. This has been a no mans land for a very long time and with the opening of Saints and Sinners bar and the anticipated opening of Big Lodge West just a block away gives me a sense that a once very square area of LA may be reinventing itself as the new Los Feliz or Silverlake. Of course, this is just beginning now but the influx of Japanesed people and Japaneses businesses can only be a good thing. Their businesses are always spotless clean!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 PM

916 posts, read 3,195,094 times
the economy isn't helping, but downtown Long Beach is my vote. Even moreso than downtown LA...

Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM

938 posts, read 3,578,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
Eagle Rock: 90041
Highland Park: 90042

Highland Park's definitely gentrifying some (depends on the block), though the economy has probably slowed that down some, and unlike many other areas, the gangs (Los Aves) are so entrenched there it will likely never become "the next Silver Lake." The conventional wisdom is stay north of York

Echo Park's a hipster bastion. Boyle Heights and Van Nuys are slowly showing a few signs of making a move upward, though they're still mostly pretty rough (and I think Van Nuys is one of the ugliest places around).
Where is all this "gentrification" in Highland Park? Is it mythical? I've been there plenty times and I only see old timey Hispanics in run down (but beautiful!) homes. I'm not doubting it exists, I just want to know where, so I can check it out for myself.

And Echo Park, YES. Many artists/hipsters/creative types there, and of course the necessary establishments to support them.

check these photos out:

prettyugly.: The Echo Park Minute

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-14-2009 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary racial comment.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM

2,318 posts, read 6,856,569 times
Yeah, I drove through Highland Park a couple weeks ago, and it definately ain't no Mt Washington or Eagle Rock. Didn't see much gentrification.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,093,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Yeah, I drove through Highland Park a couple weeks ago, and it definately ain't no Mt Washington or Eagle Rock. Didn't see much gentrification.
it didnt take off like it was supposed to. it did happen but not on the scale that people thought. the housing stock was not enough to attract people. they instead chose Mt wash, eagle rock and Echo P. some areas closer to the rail lines did, and some bars opened up. but again, not like it was supposed to. its still in transition tho.

dont count it out just yet.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,918,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
it didnt take off like it was supposed to. it did happen but not on the scale that people thought. the housing stock was not enough to attract people. they instead chose Mt wash, eagle rock and Echo P. some areas closer to the rail lines did, and some bars opened up. but again, not like it was supposed to. its still in transition tho.

dont count it out just yet.
I love going to the movie theater there for cheap night

Old 03-13-2009, 12:14 PM

938 posts, read 3,578,658 times
Below are photos from 2 of the neighborhoods in mention, Echo Park and Eagle Rock.

prettyugly.: Echo Park
prettyugly.: Eagle Rock

I'd also say that East Hollywood was beginning to gentrifiy, especially towards the tail end of the boom. Shame it stopped. EH, while sorta dumpy, is rich in architecture, cheap ethnic food eats and human scale. Not too mention that it offers good transit access and easy access to the Highland/Vine corridors on Hollywood, the boutiques and cafes in Los Feliz on Hillhurst and Vermont, the greater "hipster" nexus of Silverlake and Echo Park, Koreatown, Griffith Park etc etc. Interesting area it is, with a myriad of ethnicities/races there, including no more or less: Mexicans (well, duh), Salvadorians, Thai, Armenians, Guatemalans, White Americans (of hipster variety, too) and Russians.

If they could do with the trannies, gangs, graffiti and other sleazy/unwanted elements, I'd say this neighborhood has a good chance of booming during the next cycle.

Some photos here: prettyugly.: Hollywood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles