U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: Los Angeles, traffic, housing market, violent crime, learn Spanish.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 AM

241 posts, read 794,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dave View Post
I already know that (LA residents please correct me if Im wrong) that LA has horrible traffic, a cost of living thats up in space, sunny weather, a high crime rate, its ethnically diverse, and HUGE in area but I wanna know more, what its really like to be in LA to visit or live.
Sounds right on but cost of living if talking about place to live is going down but not too affordable. About being ethnically diverse it can be but in like southern california people with hispanic background or mexicans seem like majority or such huge part of population which kind of makes it not really as much diverse as NYC or some certain east coast cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Many people compare LA to third world cities/slums (in latin america).
Think part of it is because of all the immigrants or people from south of border here in LA that probably make many areas seem like cities from latin america or places like that when really they aren't like many of the worlds cities because not even as much corruption and all these laws here imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM

158 posts, read 560,644 times
[quote=ferretkona;7758261]
Saying "Cali" will place you on the bottom of just about every list you can dream of.

quote]

I have a few friends from San Diego and they all say Cali (so did their friends)... Is this a term that gets different feedback in different parts of the state?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 PM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dave View Post
Maybe I've seen too many movies and tv shows, maybe its because I've never left the east coast, maybe its just because I want to do something different but I'd really like to come to LA, possibly to stay.

It's not because I hope to make it big in Hollywood (that would be awesome though) Or pursue entertainment, but I've seen NYC and every state on the east coast and I wanna go to Cali in the worst way.

I already know that (LA residents please correct me if Im wrong) that LA has horrible traffic, a cost of living thats up in space, sunny weather, a high crime rate, its ethnically diverse, and HUGE in area but I wanna know more, what its really like to be in LA to visit or live.

What I want to know is what the norm is for LA area (suburbs included) I want to compare it to Orlando and see if it's really worth staying here.

Orlando, FL info
Avg home costs $150k - $300k depending on the neighborhood
Avg commute takes 20-30 mins, depending on traffic
We have the 9th worst traffic in the US (we tied with San Bernardino) though its gotten a lot better
The median income is about $45,000
We also have a very high crime rate
Tourists sometimes outnumber locals

I want some more realistic info on LA, can I get some feedback from any residents in LA County?
well not living in L.A. area anymore my impression won't be as acturate as others I am sure..YOu say the average price of homes in Orlando is 150,000 to $300k, which is it?? Our daughter lives in Windermere and spent a heck of a lot more for her home than 300k.. If this is average you will have problems in So Ca, even with the lousy economy..
Commuting wil take you longer if you are going into Los Angeles or someplace like that..
If you are saying the medina income is $45,000 in Orlando, is this per person or family??
Have you thought about where you will find a job, what line of work are you in?
Los Angeles has lots of tourists, but nothing like Orlando..

I would suggest you take a 2 or 3 week vacation and go visit. Research the beack areas as well as the inland areas, drive in the traffic, talk to a realtor, that is where you will get your information...

Now I have read more, it sounds like down deep you really do hope to become a star..At least you seem to be realistic to realize he probably will not happen. What do you do for Publixs? Do you work in the corporate offices or directly at one of the stores, I would guess you work at a store as I do not think the corporation is located in Orlando, am I right?

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 03-31-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
The crime rate actually isn't that bad for such a large city. It very much depends on the neighborhood you're in; L.A.'s kind of a collection of mid-sized towns that all have unique characters.

Traffic is congested but not nearly as aggressive as the east coast.

The weather is as great as they say, and for many people (like me) that's a huge deal. I find cold and/or gray weather depressing and oppressive.

As far as entertainment: you can do absolutely anything that interests you here. If it exists as an entertainment option, it's here.

Invest in a plane ticket and come stay for a week. That will tell you a lot about the city. It always seems like there are people who want to move here sight unseen. (And if you can't afford to visit for a week...you can't afford to live here.)
It would take more than a week to totally research and get a true idea of what Los Angeles is all about...

You don't like cold and gray weather, he lives in Orlando, hardly cold and gray very often.

Nita

Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 PM

12 posts, read 23,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well not living in L.A. area anymore my impression won't be as acturate as others I am sure..YOu say the average price of homes in Orlando is 150,000 to $300k, which is it?? Our daughter lives in Windermere and spent a heck of a lot more for her home than 300k.. If this is average you will have problems in So Ca, even with the lousy economy..
Commuting wil take you longer if you are going into Los Angeles or someplace like that..
If you are saying the medina income is $45,000 in Orlando, is this per person or family??
Have you thought about where you will find a job, what line of work are you in?
Los Angeles has lots of tourists, but nothing like Orlando..

I would suggest you take a 2 or 3 week vacation and go visit. Research the beack areas as well as the inland areas, drive in the traffic, talk to a realtor, that is where you will get your information...

Now I have read more, it sounds like down deep you really do hope to become a star..At least you seem to be realistic to realize he probably will not happen. What do you do for Publixs? Do you work in the corporate offices or directly at one of the stores, I would guess you work at a store as I do not think the corporation is located in Orlando, am I right?

Nita
Windermere is the exception to the cost of homes in orlando among other areas such as winter park, maitland, and altamonte which are higher end suburbs

$45000 annual income i believe is person, family income is in the mid to high $50s i work directly in the store at publix, right now im only a cashier

i do plan to vacation for a week or tow in LA when i have enough money before i jump and move their without a job or anything especially in this economy

as far as taking a shot in the entertainment biz, thats probably what id do if i visit. take a shot and see what happens. if i dont succeed, that is totally fine, liek you pointed out im realistic about it. id at least walk away knowing i took a shoty because not taking one at all would be even more regrettable

and publix corporate offices are located in lakeland, an hour southwest of orlando

Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 PM

48 posts, read 163,876 times
Also, your view of a big city is a lot different from LA. In the east you have your big urban downtown with outlying suburbs. Not the case here. Every area in LA is kinda like a small city. They have their own trendy/hip downtown areas and residential areas. All these small sections blend to form LA. There are also some independent cities thrown in the mix like Culver City, Santa Monica, and Beverly Hills. We are also a lot more spread out and our "main" downtown isn't all that (thats changing though).

Beach is a common pastime here, even in the winter months when it can reach 80 easily. I know I hit the beach consistently this year in december/january.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:18 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,942,815 times
I lived in Orlando for several years, and in Florida in general for a bunch more years.

The biggest thing I missed when I moved to LA: Passing people on two lane roads. You have to get way outside of LA to find a two lane road around here -- and those roads are super-busy. There is no chance to pass. I'd probably have to go to rural Nevada or Arizona to find a non-congested two-lane road that I could pass on. So, that's a skill I don't really have anymore.

Things you need to think about: If you have a CCW in Orlando, you need to know that people in LA don't carry guns on the street. Hardly anyone has a CCW here. If you ever see anyone with a gun in LA who doesn't look like a cop or someone's personal bodyguard or a Brinks carrier, you need to call 911 because the police take it very seriously here. California is a "May Issue" state and they don't give out concealed weapons permits to very many people.

The flip side of not being able to carry: There really isn't that much crime on the streets in LA. You can keep a gun at home. If you own a business, you can keep guns at your business too.

California is big on gun control -- but you know what? There are a lot of cities in California that don't have a whole lot of violent crime.

Rents are higher in LA, utilities are way lower (you don't need to run the AC most of the year). Food can be relatively cheap in LA if you stay away from Whole Foods and the "gringo" supermarkets like Ralphs and Vons.

It's nice to know Spanish here but it's really not necessary. Where I live, a lot of the population is Armenian and Korean. I don't speak Spanish, Korean or Armenian. Anyone who says you have to learn Spanish here really has a narrow mind since we have so many other ethnic groups that don't speak Spanish.

I missed Central Florida for a long time after I left there. I missed a lot of the natural beauty of the area. But the longer I have been away and the more I've seen of what they have done to the area, I don't miss it anymore.

One thing that really strikes me now: Orlando wants to be a big city (just like most of the cities in Florida strive); LA really is a big city. You can't really compare living in any city in Florida to living in LA. It's really totally different.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 65,044 times
No offense, but until you go to LA, you'll never know what it's going to be like. Whatever ideas you have about it, erase them. It's going to be nothing like you think it is. It could be better, or it could be much worse. You can have a million people here tell you their idea of LA, but everyone's idea is different. It's all relative. The only advice I could give you is to go for at least a week or more. I've been there, done that...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 PM

252 posts, read 837,497 times
I would not describe LA as a "high crime" city. The crime rate has been falling in LA for years, and most of the crime is concentrated among people who are in gangs. I think most of the rest of the country has an incorrect image of LA as a place with a lot of crime that comes from 1990's gangster rap and the 1992 riots.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 85,857 times
Default decent areas

You asked about decent areas: the Westside is good, but very expensive; Pasadena and most parts of Glendale (both get very hot in the summer); the South Bay. Any good area is going to be costly in LA. Lots of pockets that you can feel safe and walk to stores and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or