U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: Los Angeles, traffic, housing market, violent crime, learn Spanish.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM

174 posts, read 454,684 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Los Angeles area for twenty years now. Life is rarely boring here. In Hollywood (where I live), there is always live theater or movie premieres or various street fairs going on. I use public transportation - yes, it most certainly can be done. I rent with a certain amount of rent control in place, so my one bedroom apartment is 900 per month while others in the neighborhood are more.

The weather is boring. I like May and June - overcast mornings and pleasant breezy afternoons, but August and September are the pits in Hollywood - stagnant, dusty air with occasional heat waves. I miss the snow in December, but don't let anyone fool you - WE DO get frost here on occasion. The West side never gets it, but farther inland, the early mornings in late December and January can be close to or even around freezing.

People here can fit the image of "laid-back" - but they just choose not to express their opinions immediately. It's not that they're necessarily accepting and easy-going. Personally, I think most educated people here develop an anticipation of nuttiness in others, so they smile and pretend everything is wonderful until they actually begin to get to know you and then can drop their psychological defenses - unless they decide you truly are nutty - then they'll smile and avoid you.

People don't talk to each other as a general rule. I have a brother living in San Francisco and I enjoy visiting him because it's nice to be in an environment where people talk on the street or in shops and night clubs. There's a mild friendliness up there that doesn't exist in LA.

Crime is selective here - as someone suggested, much of it is gang related. There are certain areas to definitely STAY AWAY FROM. Recently, there were several late night gang attacks on single men in the East Hollywood and Silverlake areas where I live. They caught the characters who were doing this - some were minors from the East LA area. It made the news because it was a relatively rare event. South LA and areas directly to the east of downtown are higher crime areas. We don't hear the half of what actually happens in these sections of town.

I can take a bus ride to the Beverly Center (shopping mall) and probably hear close to a dozen different languages being spoken on the bus - Spanish (of course), Armenian, Russian, Hebrew, Korean, Tagalog, Farsi, Thai, Japanese.

Places to live that fulfill the expectations of relative affordability and safety? - I'd pick my area of East Hollywood and Silverlake, Korea town to the south, Monterey Park or Alhambra (great Chinese food), Whittier (although it's a bit out of the way). North Hollywood is being gentrified, but i think it is still somewhat affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 09:15 PM

67 posts, read 169,419 times
The only time I was in Orlando was to visit Disneyworld so there not much I can compare to but I can tell you all about LA. I came from Cuba when I was 13 and been here ever since. Tr4#affic is horrible and it's getting worst by the day. It takes me 1 1/2 + (One way) to get to work on a regular weekday. Crime is not as bad as it appear to be. As long as you hang around with the right croud and avoid bad neighborhoods you will not have a problem. Property still sky high,a mid size home in a ok neighboorhood stills cost you about 450K and we're talking here a old home not new cosntruccion like you have in Miami. upscale neighboorhood still over the 500K. Rent is high as well a one bedroom apartment in a nice neighboorhood can easy run about 1200+. I suggest you find a nice job before moving or have at least six months back un on savings before moving to LA.
I hope this helps!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or