U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,893 times

Advertisements

what do you think? can it be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 AM

28 posts, read 59,617 times
Default Peculiar Expenses

That depends on where you apply your frugality. I am moving to LA in August with a 50k salary and It seems like I will be able to afford a 1 br or studio in Santa Monica or Burbank.

I price shop on Craigslist. Recently I've been feeding rental prices into a spreadsheet. I'm using that spreadsheet to create a visual representation of the cheapest places to live in the area that interests me. Budgeting a move to LA starts out the same way any other move across the country would; figure out the basics and then research the peculiarities of the area. I've got my rent, utilities, food, insurance budgeted. I'm still working on the peculiarities part.

Start with budgeting: rent, utilities, food, insurance

I have heard from most Los Angeloans that living within 10 minutes of your work is a must for convenience and travel expense. I don't know if you've experienced the traffic, but it can get a little intense at times.

I've heard that public transport in LA leaves much to be desired, so I'm planning on keeping my car. However, know that on top of what you're paying for registration you must also pay to have your car tested for smog emissions. After you pay for that test and your car passes the test, you have to pay a 'smog impact fee'. I'm not sure what the tests cost, but I've heard the smog impact fee is ~$300. If you fail the test you must pay to repair your car...and then pay for another test.

I would appreciate if anyone living in LA could help me develop a list of "peculiar expenses". Everyone knows we need insurance and utilities...but what about those little LA specific nuances that I'm we are trying to account for?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,772,872 times
I've never heard of a smog impact fee. I pay about $30 bucks for the test and if you pass it, that's it. Registration is kind of pricy here compared to other states. I paid ~$50 in other states and about $140 here.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM

269 posts, read 787,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I've never heard of a smog impact fee. I pay about $30 bucks for the test and if you pass it, that's it. Registration is kind of pricy here compared to other states. I paid ~$50 in other states and about $140 here.
Well just think...you'll be paying $280 this year when you have to renew your registration.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 AM

448 posts, read 1,339,775 times
Wow Jonah! That's exactly how much I paid this year to renew my car registration: $280 smackers. With the new budget recently approved by the local legislature, it's sure to go up even further.

Oh by the way MrQuincy, down here we're often referred to (especially by the media) as "Angelinos."

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM

4,007 posts, read 9,887,667 times
Yes, you can make it, but you will have to work at it. See if you can rent a room from someone. I rented a room from an older lady for years when I was single. I had a seperate entrance and she was very easy to get along with. I did have my own phone line and such, but my rent included utilities.

There are many ways to "make it work."

Dawn

Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
Yes, Pasadena has some affordable but still decent places, so you should be fine, assuming that you're not expecting to live in a huge place or in the lap of luxury. If you mean Pasadena-area you'll have even more options to choose from.

As far as LA expenses, don't forget about earthquake insurance - you buy it separately from your regular renter's insurance policy. (that was new to me, not having grown up in earthquake country)

Old 02-27-2009, 04:16 PM

830 posts, read 2,505,767 times
Do you already live in the LA area or are you moving from out of state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or