U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,533 times
Default Looking for a job help!!! Any suggestions

Hey I just moved to L.A. a month ago from the NW and I'm looking for work right now, I am 27 years old, liberal arts bachelors degree, mostly retail work experience.

I would prefer to do something that a college graduate does as working retail seems for most people not a career path. I would like to find something soon before all the money I saved up runs out and I would like everyones suggestions on the following.

1.Where do I look for a job? I tried Craigslist and haven't gotten 1 response back yet. Is there any Temp Agencies in the L.A. area that you guys know might work? Is there any places you'd suggest I go to look for a job?

2.What would you consider a job which I could apply for that would be respectable for a college graduate with a liberal arts degree? I don't really want to go back to school right now and there's got to be like a path that makes sense, I was thinking admin assistant or some kind of assitant for finance marketing or maybe the movie businesses (but that's who you know right).

What I don't want to hear are responses such as the economy sucks right now and that I made a bad decision moving here or something along those lines, lets try to work together and find a solution that other people who are unemployed haven't thought of and harness the power of this community.

I was thinking there might be a Meetup.com group for job seekers, I haven't found it yet. Anyways I guess the question I wanna know is what can I do on top of looking on Craigslist, having a polished resume, having read the "What color is your parachute book" and filling out the flower chart. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM

6,099 posts, read 11,022,053 times
indded.com, simplyhired.com

start there, you may find something. some people I know with years of experience are having trouble landing jobs right now, even for less pay than they made before. you have to find a way to make yourself stand out above the rest of the competition, which seems to be growing by the day. i'm not sure how to do this, but that is that what i would focus on for now if i were you.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,747,757 times
My tip to you:
Try targeting jobs where you can personally drop off resumes. It is a personal touch that no one uses anymore. I understand most jobs are online nowadays but I still see many that give their address.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM

66 posts, read 94,863 times
Try to get a paid PA or office assistant gig in showbusiness. Work hard and be fun to be around and you can move up relatively fast.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:45 PM

127 posts, read 328,693 times
Register with 2-3 temp agencies. They often know of inside gigs that don't get posted on job forums. I had luck with Talent Tree. Appleone is also popular but some people prefer the smaller agencies.

Apply with the local school districts. LA unified and other districts always need Subs.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,950,510 times
AppleOne is the largest temp agency in the country, but I've never heard any good things about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles