U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 75,414 times

Advertisements

Hi I am in a similar predicament. I just found the community of Tehachapi to be pretty awesome as a living option if you work on the base there in Edwards. I don't know about single life though as it seems like a small town type place. Very quaint and artsy from what I have gathered. I have kids so it seems great for us and a DEFINITE step up from the Palmdale/Lancaster area. You can read more about the area in this thread: Is Lancaster / Palmdale as horrible as they say??
Hope that helps you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM

61 posts, read 151,116 times
I think I will....cause the work at Edwards might be cool, but I don't think i could live in Lancaster/Palmdale.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,389 times
some people seem to think that palmdale and santa clarita are equal but i strongly disagree. Palmdale is a much further drive. It is also lower income. The crime level is much higher in Palmdale. Palmdale does have some nicer parts, but the resale price of homes in Palmdale does not usually return a profit, although i do know that scv wouldnt at this point with the market. There are more drug activities and gangs in palmdale. Scv is more of the soccer mom community as one person put it. But the great thing is that you are close to burbank and other neighboring towns that offer more things to do. i have to say that the quality of scv is much better than palmdale.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,389 times
tehachappi is beautiful. It is a good place for young children but remember when your kids grow up that their are some not too great kids out there (i know this first hand). but the same would go for palmdale/lancaster. tehachappi is much more secure and for families, just be sure to stay aware of what your children are doing. i think tehachappi is a wonderful choice.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:39 PM

191 posts, read 513,503 times
I live in SCV - my neighbor is a sheriff in Palmdale. Direct quote: "Don't ever go to Palmdale without taking a weapon. I'm serious."

Old 11-14-2011, 05:30 PM

102 posts, read 412,764 times
I am not sure if you are still looking. It is not worth commuting to Santa Clarita. I used to live in Santa Clarita and moved for a reason. Personally, Santa Clarita is way overrated, it has lots of social ills like many communities. The major thing it lacks is a sense of community. There is nothing unique about it. If you like cookie cutter tract home community, then Santa Clarita is perfect for you. The AV also is mainly tract homes, but it has much more a sense of community. Everywhere I go I run into people I know, people I grew up with. People stay here, they don't just move away. Another point is the fact that many airforce retirees settle here upon retirement, including my family. Let's face it, we have lived everywhere, and choose to retire in the AV, there must be something good about it.

The biggest difference is the traffic. Santa Clarita's roads are laid out terribly. No matter where you go you are stuck in traffic, like most of the LA area. The streets don't all connect, and then change names as you are driving. The air-quality in Santa Clarita is some of the worst in the state, although you don't hear that one publicized. Most of Santa Clarita is built in the Santa Clara River floodplain, so guess what, you got it, it always floods, ever winter. And along with that is mudslides, and I forgot to mention, the fires that regularly run through the area, perpuated by their characteristic winds, that just stir up the smog and smoke.

To be honest Santa Clarita is hard on your health. I would choose the Antelope Valley any day over Santa Clarita. I could go on and on why Santa Clarita is the lesser community of the two. Lancaster and Palmdale actually have space around them, which is what someone needs to breathe. The Antelope Valley, especially Lancaster and Palmdale are in great shape for the future. They will continue to improve, because of the wise leaders that founded these cities and continue to lead them.

Just visit yourself to see what I am talking about.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,931 times
There is no doubt in it that the job is really good but we should also keep in mind that we have to face the problem of the depression by doing such types of the jobs. So we should such type of the jobs in normal cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles