U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 AM

61 posts, read 150,815 times

Advertisements

My new civilian job is on Edwards AFB.

Now, i live in pasadena right now.....so I have 4 options

A. 200 mile RT commute / day (from LA)
B. 120 mile RT commute / day (from Santa Clarita)
C. 60 mile RT commute / day (from Palmdale)

What are some good choices/locations in Palmdale and Santa Clarita? Valencia area? East or West Palmdale?

About me:
salary (before taxes): 70K 's
single, no family, kids (none i know of)
basically looking for a rental, 1 bedroom in a nice, safe area with lots of walking space and near shops, restaurants, etc.

unless you suggest i go buy a home now....which maybe i could but i'm afraid!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,779,498 times
While Santa Clarita is a real city with real amenities it has the reputation of being very suburban, soccer moms, minivans, etc. It isn't a swinging hotspot for singles - but it's probably better than Palmdale in just about every regard. But, that commute on the 14 everyday will suck (even though you are heading opposite of traffic).

Palmdale will probably have lower rents.

Palmdale will save you a lot of time commuting.

If you buy a home in Palmdale and the Edwards job fizzles up (and we're all watching Gates and Obama right now), then you might be stuck commuting south - that's a killer.

Tough call, I'd probably stay in Palmdale as the commute to Edwards would be too much (plus, once you get to Edwards you have to drive in and on to the base and get to your building - could be a pretty long drive right there.)

You can venture out on weekends to SC or even LA.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Don't buy anything though. House prices there are continuing to fall.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 PM

191 posts, read 512,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Don't buy anything though. House prices there are continuing to fall.
Price isn't the only dimension.

I'm not a RE agent, just a 31 y/o buyer of a new home in Valencia.

I agree that values will continue to fall ... but at this point, you will get up to a $18k tax credit if you qualify as a first time buyer ($8k fed credit) and buy a new home ($10k CA state credit). If it's under $417k, you can do an FHA loan with 3.5% down. The fed credit can be used as a part of your down payment.

Plus, the builders offer 3-4% to brokers (if you know one, use him/her and have them rebate that to you tax free).

Plus, they are buying down interest rates to 4-5%, fixed for 30 years.

Plus, the builders are providing up to 6% of the purchase price in incentives for flooring and window coverings.

Plus, the builders are often landscaping the yard.

At this point, home values in areas like SCV and Lancaster/Palmdale have corrected more so than LA proper. Not saying they're not going to drop more, but you aren't buying "at the top."

And, in this market, you get SELECTION - perhaps a premium lot/location at the elevation you like.

Sure, values will fall. But if you're in for the long haul, the incentives and opportunity are truly compelling. The builders and taxpayers are PAYING YOU to buy homes (albeit at a 10-15% inflated value).

Last edited by NickelDime; 02-26-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
although it is certainly a long drive from santa clarita to edwards afb, the time it would take to make the drive is probably on par with the average commute in socal since you'll have a reverse commute (there may even be vanpools for you to join so you don't have to put all that wear and tear on your car). i'm sure you could make the drive in an under an hour each as long as there are no accidents on the freeway. palmdale is out in bfe and has all the negatives of suburban life in santa clarita compounded with a desert environment (hot and windy) and the much lower income bracket that tends to live up in the high desert. you couldn't pay me to live in lancaster/palmdale.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:32 PM

134 posts, read 499,835 times
Actually the RE market is on an upswing here in the Antelope Valley,there is only 3 months of home inventory at current sales pace exluding short sales which rarely sell anyway.The REOs are selling fast as prices are down at least 60% from the peak.We will see rising prices by summer .

Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,382,339 times
I would recommend renting in Valencia. Much, much, much nicer than Palmdale. There are some pretty nice apartments near the Town Center, where I see quite a bit of young, single activity. Why not come on the week-end and check it out?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:16 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,536,517 times
Santa Clarita. It's a better valley then the Antelope Valley. Although Antelope Valley has less traffic, it has more crime than Santa Clarita Valley. Antelope Valley is more diverse than Santa Clarita too.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM

156 posts, read 507,749 times
I live in the Antelope Valley. Santa Clarita is nicer, but more expensive, while the AV is a much easier commute. From here, EAFB is 45 minutes to one hour, depending on where in the AV you are. From the time you get on the freeway in Santa Clarita until you reach the Antelope Valley is about 30 minutes. It can take a loooong time to get to the freeway from certain places in Santa Clarita, so take that into account too.

Me, I'd rather have some time at home even if that home isn't in the most fabulous place than be driving all my life. It's all in what you value.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM

1,291 posts, read 3,490,563 times
Why don't you consider Tehapaci, Mojave, California City, or Adelanto as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles