U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM

219 posts, read 532,580 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love food. As part of us getting acclimated to LA, I was wondering if the natives had recommendations on some of their favorite restaurants in the area (including Orange County). I would get a Zagat's guide, but I tend to think Zagat's tracks the popularity, and not necessarily the quality, of the establishment. I did a search of the forum and didn't really find what I was looking for. That said, we're hoping to learn about your opinions on some good places for the following cuisines:

pizza
breakfast
ice cream (ice cream is a cuisine according to my wife)
BBQ
soul food (don't say Roscoe's)
Vietnamese
fried seafood
authentic Italian (northern, southern, etc.)
Cuban

If you have any other good recommendations, we're happy to hear them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
Pizza: Sonny's (San Clemente)

Breakfast: Philippe's; The Pantry; Pann's (L.A)

BBQ: Burrell's (Santa Ana)

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM

23 posts, read 42,374 times
Pizza - Numero Uno (Family owned, put love into making their pizzas)
Ice Cream - Melt: Gelato (very, very delicious italian style ice cream)
Italian - Far Niente (in Glendale)

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM

127 posts, read 442,877 times
Cuban - Versailles. If you look on yelp you'll see they have great reviews. I've had the garlic chicken, black beans and plantain. It really was too much food for one person but I enjoyed it.

Pizza - California Pizza Kitchen (of course). Do NOT buy their frozen products. They are gross but when you get it fresh in the restaurant straight out of the brick oven - YUMMY! I like the bbq chicken but the shrimp pizza is good also.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
I'm definitely westside biased since that is where i spend the majority of time, but here it goes anyways:

pizza - Joe's (SM) best NY slice around! there is also a popular place called pizzeria mozza in hollywood that is all the rage right now.
breakfast - Omelete Parlor & Norms (SM)
BBQ - Baby Blues (Venice) Mr Cecil's (WLA)
authentic Italian - La Vecchia (SM) and I've also heard good things about Via Veneto
Cuban - Versailles (Palms)

if you're into brasilian charrusco, there is a really good place called brasa brasil on venice in culver city/palms that is less than half the price of fogo de chao and the food is pretty darn good too. my wife and i also like this shabu shabu place on sawtelle called mizu 212. also, make sure you try the korean bbq in ktown as well. and lastly, if you want a good quality meal for $10, head over to tender greens in culver city sometime, i love that place.

it's only 9:30 in the morning, but thinking about all of these restaurants is making me hungry

Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
For a New Generation, Kimchi Goes With Tacos - New York Times

Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,809,137 times
pizza - Theres a tiny pizza place in Sherman Oaks in the shopping center where Best Buy is located. Been going there for years but cant remember the name of it. Second favorite pizza is at a pizza place in Larchmont Villiage. Been going there for years as well but cant remember the name.

breakfast - My personal favorites are Jinkys-Sherman Oaks; Jumpin' Java-Studio City; More Than Waffles-Encino and Marmalade Cafe-Sherman Oaks and Calabasas.

ice cream - Any Cold Stone will do. Also theres a middle eastern ice cream place on west side of La Brea between Hollywood and Sunset blvd. Try their rose flavored ice cream.

BBQ - Phillips BBQ and Woodys BBQ are hands down the BEST!

soul food - Stevies on Ventura Blvd in Encino. I was so happy when they opened there (was close to home).

Vietnamese - Havent been to too many Vietnamese rest. Pho 999 in Van Nuys is REALLY good. Usually a long wait for a seat though.

fried seafood - Dont know. Im not into any fried foods.

authentic Italian (northern, southern, etc.) - I like Cavarettas deli in Canoga Park and Fabs on Van Nuys Blvd in Sherman Oaks.

Cuban - Versailles is the only place I know of and have only tried the one in Universal City Walk.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,000,723 times
Someone listed a place in Santa Ana. If Orange County is in play, then I recommend Felix's Cafe in Old Towne Orange for great (and relatively cheap) Cuban food.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
He included OC in his request.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,841,383 times
Yelp.com and Citysearch.com are a good jumping off point for exploring LA/OC's dining options.

pizza - Dagwood's in Santa Monica

breakfast - I'm a sucker for the Sunday brunch at Souplantation... but Literati Cafe on Wilshire is great too.

ice cream - Diddy Riese in Westwood (Uber-cheap ice cream sandwiched between two cookies)

BBQ - Haven't tried any I really like yet...

soul food (don't say Roscoe's) - See BBQ...

Vietnamese - Thai Lai in Hawthorne is outrageously good.

fried seafood - Everywhere.

authentic Italian (northern, southern, etc.) - Andres by the Grove (totally blue collar and great)

Cuban - Versailles for entres... Havana in El Segundo for AMAZING sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles