U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,946,704 times
Reputation: 17414

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

As long as that team's a winning team. Alas, L.A.'s sports culture is the worst in the US in that L.A. fans will not stand by a team that loses. The Lakers are the only exception and the one team that ties the city together. But this has nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism.
One reason is LA is so full of transplants. Compared to east coast cities, LA has a much lower percentage of natives (like me) who have rooted for the LA teams since childhood.

And the Lakers have been so good for so long (I think they've missed the playoffs maybe three times in 50 years), that it's hard to say their fans aren't fairweathered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,090,724 times
Reputation: 2244
this is a big DODGER town and a big laker town.

in BKball, the peoples team is the Clips. but everyone roots for "showtime".
as for football. many many people, particularly in the urban areas of LA, support SC.

if i had to organize the fervor and fandom, i would say

Lakers
Dodgers(in fan loyalty Dodgers are #1)
USC
Raiders
Angels (tho not really LA)
Kings
Galaxy
Clippers
Sparks
Chivas USA
the defunct avengers
then that lil lacrosse team.

then everyone else, ducks, LMU soccer, WPS, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,090,724 times
Reputation: 2244
I disagree, win or lose, this is DODGER TOWN.

fans are very loyal to the dodgers. multi-generationally loyal.

attendance records are broken yearly. that has always been the case. and the dodgers have very rarely made it past regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Or Jets. Or Giants. Or Patriots.



As long as that team's a winning team. Alas, L.A.'s sports culture is the worst in the US in that L.A. fans will not stand by a team that loses. The Lakers are the only exception and the one team that ties the city together. But this has nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Northern Arizona
1,248 posts, read 3,007,260 times
Reputation: 624
Regarding the Angels, here's what I saw, at least after living in Orange County for five years:

The Angels always have and always will be Orange County's baseball team (duh), and they became even bigger after their World Series victory (who would've predicted that back in April 2002?). There's support for the Dodgers, but only if the fan has previous ties to Los Angeles. Apply the same logic in reverse to Angels fans living in LA (and a few people old enough to remember when both the Angels and Dodgers shared Dodger Stadium). Longtime/diehard Angel fans have a long history of pain and suffering prior to the Mike Scosia era (especially in their postseason appearances prior to 2002 against the Red Sox).

The Inland Empire is pretty evenly split between Dodger and Angel fans.

Their new name is an abomination. I personally refuse to refer to them as such, and would have no problem if they reverted back to the "California Angels"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,501 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Reputation: 38856
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
I disagree, win or lose, this is DODGER TOWN.

fans are very loyal to the dodgers. multi-generationally loyal.

attendance records are broken yearly. that has always been the case. and the dodgers have very rarely made it past regular season.
Better believe it, our son, who lives in the Florida pan handle and only lived in Los Angeles til his was 16 is a huge Dodger fan. Of course we are as well. He is such a Dodger fan, the night he signed a professional basebal contract (no he only he didn't make the big league, but was a high draft choice) we were in the park that had drafted him. They were playing the Dodgers and we were actually routing for L.A, (we did it very quietly)

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,501 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Reputation: 38856
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Regarding the Angels, here's what I saw, at least after living in Orange County for five years:

The Angels always have and always will be Orange County's baseball team (duh), and they became even bigger after their World Series victory (who would've predicted that back in April 2002?). There's support for the Dodgers, but only if the fan has previous ties to Los Angeles. Apply the same logic in reverse to Angels fans living in LA (and a few people old enough to remember when both the Angels and Dodgers shared Dodger Stadium). Longtime/diehard Angel fans have a long history of pain and suffering prior to the Mike Scosia era (especially in their postseason appearances prior to 2002 against the Red Sox).

The Inland Empire is pretty evenly split between Dodger and Angel fans.

Their new name is an abomination. I personally refuse to refer to them as such, and would have no problem if they reverted back to the "California Angels"
I totally agree, I had forgotten they shared the same stadium. I remember the first year or so they played at the old Wrigley field where the AAA Angeles had played for years..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Northern Arizona
1,248 posts, read 3,007,260 times
Reputation: 624
Did the Dodgers ever play in Wrigley Field, or did they only play in the Coliseum prior to Dodger Stadium's opening?

Even bigger fun facts: Dodger Stadium was called "Chavez Ravine" during Angels home games there and LA's Wrigley Field was the location for an old tv show called Home Run Derby. ESPN Classic used to show reruns of that all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 23,033,012 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is a big DODGER town and a big laker town.

in BKball, the peoples team is the Clips. but everyone roots for "showtime".
as for football. many many people, particularly in the urban areas of LA, support SC.

if i had to organize the fervor and fandom, i would say

Lakers
Dodgers(in fan loyalty Dodgers are #1)
The Dodgers still have a base of support although it's nowhere near as strong as the Lakers. There's a hard core of fans who will come out to Dodger Stadium even in the worst of times, unfortunately not enough to fill it. When the Dodgers have bad years, the stadium only sells out if they're playing East Coast teams.

Quote:
USC
Raiders
If you're going to list an out of town team like the Raiders you might as well list the Jets, Giants, Patriots, or even the Eagles - all of which have significant bases of support in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,946,704 times
Reputation: 17414
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
especially in their postseason appearances prior to 2002 against the Red Sox
That was 1986 and it was terrible. I still remember watching Dave Henderson's home run off Donnie Moore. I just wanted to puke. (Donnie Moore later committed suicide - some say, partly due to that home run.) The Angels were thisclose to going to the World Series (which the red sox eventually lost partly due to Buckner's error).



http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees-redsox-blog/hendu1986.gif (broken link)

On top of that, the Lakers had lost in 1984 to boston (but finally beating them for the first time ever the next year 1985). The celtics won again in 1986.

Two threads I started mention some of these events:

Most disappointing LA sports losses

Best LA Sports Victories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,090,724 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Dodgers still have a base of support although it's nowhere near as strong as the Lakers. There's a hard core of fans who will come out to Dodger Stadium even in the worst of times, unfortunately not enough to fill it. When the Dodgers have bad years, the stadium only sells out if they're playing East Coast teams.



If you're going to list an out of town team like the Raiders you might as well list the Jets, Giants, Patriots, or even the Eagles - all of which have significant bases of support in L.A.

the dodger support is greater than the laker support. everywhere i go i see dodgers gear. on top of that attendance records are broken yearly. especially since the expansion.

but it could all be perception.

as for the non LA teams. the difference is that the Raiders were an LA team. which creates a special link between this team and LA. if there is a base of NFL fans, it will be Raiders. even before any other NFL team. i think the cowboys would come second after the raiders.

thats the streets of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top