U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times

Advertisements

It's great to be an Los Angeles Sports fan these days.
Lakers just became champs,
Dodgers have the best record in baseball (Angels are only 1.5 games out of first in their division), and
USC Football ranked #4 in preseason polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,235,508 times
In my area CUBS is one everything. I have my Dodgers plate on the front of my car. People hate it

Old 06-19-2009, 07:06 PM

198 posts, read 572,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Football is the king of American Pro Sports, Baseball the queen (or grand duke?) now.

To wit, local football teams are now arguably the kings of their respective cities in fan frenzy and following (ie Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys)

Yet there are a few cities where this isn't true. NYC's fav team is easily the yankees, STL the Cards and Boston the Sox. Chicago and Detroit are unique for their high hockey popularity (though I think baseball rules Chi and football the D)

Is L.A. a town where the largest sports frenzy comes from the baseball base too? Especially scince it has no NFL team (but I think one will come back).
Well, given a multi billion dollar stadium is being built in Los Angeles right now I kind of thinking LA is getting a team, hopefully the Jags or Viks, San Diego deserves the Chargers, fans there have been faithfull, dont take them from it.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
Well, given a multi billion dollar stadium is being built in Los Angeles right now
They finally found a couple billion laying around for a stadium?

Where's the stadium being built?
How much will beer prices be?

Old 06-20-2009, 01:10 AM

1,538 posts, read 5,131,113 times
the nfl stadium in the city of industry isn't being built yet. the construction process won't start until an nfl team in another city decides to relocate to LA.

it should be noted that ed roski and company have passed almost all of the legal hurdles with regard to building the stadium at the proposed site. i think the lawsuit by the city of walnut is still pending, but in the end roski will probably just pay off the city council.

basically, he's just waiting for a team to commit to LA. IMO the teams to watch are the chargers, jaguars, and maybe the rams depending on how their ownership situation shakes out.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Football is the king of American Pro Sports, Baseball the queen (or grand duke?) now.

To wit, local football teams are now arguably the kings of their respective cities in fan frenzy and following (ie Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys)

Yet there are a few cities where this isn't true. NYC's fav team is easily the yankees, STL the Cards and Boston the Sox. Chicago and Detroit are unique for their high hockey popularity (though I think baseball rules Chi and football the D)

Is L.A. a town where the largest sports frenzy comes from the baseball base too? Especially scince it has no NFL team (but I think one will come back).
I too think, eventually, hopefully in the near future there will be a NFL franchise in the So California (L>A> ) area, but baseball is still the sport of sports for the fans.. It probably has to do with the Dodgers moving from NYC or Brooklin so many years ago and so many people were Dodger fans. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but they are loyal fans, just like, as you said the Cowboy, Redskins and Steeler fans.

Just read the entire thread, it has been around so long I didn't realize I had already posted a couple of time. Senior moment!!!!

Nita

Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

A lot of why sports in LA are popular is due to this:

"The Mount Rushmore of Sports Announcers"

Fantastic article on Vin Scully

Joe Posnanski Posts The Heart of Los Angeles (http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/09/30/the-heart-of-los-angeles/?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin - broken link)

Fantastic article on Chick Hearn

Painting word pictures that have made him the - 04.09.84 - SI Vault

Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM

"A Clipper shall lead us out of the darkness."

from

June gloom for L.A. sports fans - latimes.com

Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM

96 posts, read 187,888 times
LA is Laker town, not Clipper Town

Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,379,176 times
I wonder how long the Clippers can play in the shadow of the Lakers like this. They should just move to a city that's hungry for some NBA action that will give them more respect. Maybe then they'd win more games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles