U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I wonder how long the Clippers can play in the shadow of the Lakers like this. They should just move to a city that's hungry for some NBA action that will give them more respect. Maybe then they'd win more games.

If there was ever a year that the Clippers have an opportunity to dig into the Lakers limelight, next year is it. The Lakers will of course do well, and with a new coach everyone will be interested in observing the chemistry. But the Clippers have a young team with the potential to get into the second round of the playoffs (??). I enjoyed watching them at the end of this last season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM

8,385 posts, read 9,950,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I wonder how long the Clippers can play in the shadow of the Lakers like this. They should just move to a city that's hungry for some NBA action that will give them more respect. Maybe then they'd win more games.
There are plenty of cities that could use an NBA team.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,468,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There are plenty of cities that could use an NBA team.
...that would sooner pass on the Clippers.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Football is the king of American Pro Sports, Baseball the queen (or grand duke?) now.

To wit, local football teams are now arguably the kings of their respective cities in fan frenzy and following (ie Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys)

Yet there are a few cities where this isn't true. NYC's fav team is easily the yankees, STL the Cards and Boston the Sox. Chicago and Detroit are unique for their high hockey popularity (though I think baseball rules Chi and football the D)

Is L.A. a town where the largest sports frenzy comes from the baseball base too? Especially scince it has no NFL team (but I think one will come back).
Here is an excellent article in this morning's LA Times on LA Sports:

Dodgers: How the Dodgers lost the love of Los Angeles - latimes.com

Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM

96 posts, read 187,888 times
I'd trade the clippers for an NFL team any day

Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I'd trade the clippers for an NFL team any day

Don't be surprised if the Clippers have a pretty good year next year.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post

Even bigger fun facts: Dodger Stadium was called "Chavez Ravine" during Angels home games there and LA's Wrigley Field was the location for an old tv show called Home Run Derby. ESPN Classic used to show reruns of that all the time.

Chicago's Wrigley Field was named after Los Angeles's Wrigley Field, not the other way around.

The Angels had been playing at Washington Park (at Washington and Hill Streets) since 1912 and had previously played at a field on the north end of Chutes Park as part of the California League, which was located between Grand Avenue (west), Main Street (east), Washington Boulevard (north) and 21st Street (south).

The City of Los Angeles wasn't interested in making improvements to Washington Park, so Wrigley decided to build his team a new home, and thus the land in South Los Angeles was purchased and purposed (Wikipedia: LA Angels). The ballpark was designed after the home of the Chicago Cubs, which was then known as Cubs Park, renamed from Weegham Park in 1920, but not christened as Wrigley Field until 1926, making the stadium in LA the first in the country to be called Wrigley Field.

from

LAistory: Baseball's First Wrigley Field Was in LA: LAist

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Football is the king of American Pro Sports, Baseball the queen (or grand duke?) now.

To wit, local football teams are now arguably the kings of their respective cities in fan frenzy and following (ie Steelers, Redskins, Cowboys)

Yet there are a few cities where this isn't true. NYC's fav team is easily the yankees, STL the Cards and Boston the Sox. Chicago and Detroit are unique for their high hockey popularity (though I think baseball rules Chi and football the D)

Is L.A. a town where the largest sports frenzy comes from the baseball base too? Especially scince it has no NFL team (but I think one will come back).
I don't know about that. I guess it depends on the individual. I have always been a fan of the Dodgers, Lakers, and Raiders (when they were in LA). Not really a hockey fan but will support the Kings. I can't say I would root for one team more than the other. Whichever sport is in season, that team will get my support. If LA gets a new NFL team (not a recycled one), then, I would adopt as my new favorite.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 PM

7 posts, read 12,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here is an excellent article in this morning's LA Times on LA Sports:

Dodgers: How the Dodgers lost the love of Los Angeles - latimes.com

Feh: The Dodgers were stolen out from under the people of Brooklyn. You can keep 'em...

Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,988,867 times
what I don't understand, doesn't make sense to me is that if L.A. only likes winners, has fairweather fans, bandwagoners, then why do people go to Clipper games? how come L.A. will support and tolerate a losing NBA team like the Clippers but won't tolerate or support a losing NFL team? people say that is why the Raiders and Rams left, because nobody supported them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles