U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM

448 posts, read 1,339,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcatfish View Post
I've been wondering the same thing myself. You would think that with all the foot traffic from the transportation hub, retailers would be tripping over themselves to rent space here. Make it a Trader Joe's, please, then I will never have to drive again and my life will be complete

When we signed the lease, there was a form stating that we will get first right of refusal if they ever convert it back to condos, which I don't think will happen. But if it did, yeah, I would certainly consider investing. It's like living in the world's coolest treehouse, if you can ignore the Ford dealership and just look at the pretty mountains.

From my bedroom window, I have seen meteors, harvest moons, police pulling over motorists, drunks arguing, and the occasional collision. We also had front row seats to the Station Fire, which was interesting, and I got some great shots of that. Definitely a fun place to be if you are an observer of other people.
You totally read my mind. A Trader Joes would be perfect right there. I get a feeling that won't happen though since there is one in nearby Toluca Lake. Is there that much squarefootage on the bottom level to support a Trader Joes-sized store? I've been wanting California Chicken Cafe to open up something around NoHo Commons.

I'm sure your view is breathtaking, seeing as you're the only "tower" in the area with no view obstructions. Are you facing the NBC Universal building or the north part of the Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 PM

20 posts, read 62,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
You totally read my mind. A Trader Joes would be perfect right there. I get a feeling that won't happen though since there is one in nearby Toluca Lake. Is there that much squarefootage on the bottom level to support a Trader Joes-sized store? I've been wanting California Chicken Cafe to open up something around NoHo Commons.

I'm sure your view is breathtaking, seeing as you're the only "tower" in the area with no view obstructions. Are you facing the NBC Universal building or the north part of the Valley?
Sorry I took so long to reply, things have been nutty work-wise.

Yeah, the view is awesome. I'm looking northeast towards the Burbank Airport, but I can see from the I-5 all the way over to Mt. Lee. If I lean out the window I can see NBC.

As far as Trader Joe's, I think there's an unwritten law that they have to squeeze 5000 square feet's worth of merchandise into 1500, and they can never have more than 15 parking spaces. This building would be ideal for them, because there is NO parking.

So how do you like the Commons? It's the yellow building and not the lofts, right?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
Do you really spend that much time looking at the view? I'm playing $1,395 for my two-bedroom, two-bath apartment; it's 1200 sq. ft. and it has tons of closet space, central air/heat, a balcony, gas fireplace, built in microwave, secure parking, etc. Okay, so it's on a busy street, and I don't have a view of any kind (unless it's the apartment buildings across the street!), but there are worse things to contend with.

I realize that we all make choices, but to spend that much money on a postage stamp sized apartment is a little crazy! The living room is tiny, and while the kitchen is nice, it's certainly not that nice. However, if you really think it's worth that much, who am I to argue?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:11 PM

It's actually pretty sizeable, easily twice as big as where I was living before. And yes, I can spend hours in front of the window reading a book. I lived in a cheap apartment before this and trust me, it was NOT worth the money we saved. Hassle after hassle, things didn't get fixed, my car was broken into a number of times, etc. I will never make that mistake again.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 PM

448 posts, read 1,339,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcatfish View Post
Sorry I took so long to reply, things have been nutty work-wise.

Yeah, the view is awesome. I'm looking northeast towards the Burbank Airport, but I can see from the I-5 all the way over to Mt. Lee. If I lean out the window I can see NBC.

As far as Trader Joe's, I think there's an unwritten law that they have to squeeze 5000 square feet's worth of merchandise into 1500, and they can never have more than 15 parking spaces. This building would be ideal for them, because there is NO parking.

So how do you like the Commons? It's the yellow building and not the lofts, right?
Oh, I actually meant the NoHo Commons retail area with the HOWS (gorgeous and makes the best capaccino cake bars), Daphne's (totally addicted), Panera Bread (OMG, love it), etc.

So jealous of your view. I own a home on the north eastern side of the district facing the NBC Universal building. The area I'm in is more single family residences, so my view is unobstructed (from the floor), but nothing like yours.

Regarding Trader Joes, you should definitely go to their website. There is a section to request a local store in your area.

Regarding your stay at NoHo14, good for you for enhancing your quality of life. It's like they say, you get what you pay for. I've been in a cheapo apartment and it's true when you pay cheap, you tend to have a lot of the negative aspects of cheapness (crime, poor apartment management). It's nice to hear your building is on top of things.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
Oh, I actually meant the NoHo Commons retail area with the HOWS (gorgeous and makes the best capaccino cake bars), Daphne's (totally addicted), Panera Bread (OMG, love it), etc.

So jealous of your view. I own a home on the north eastern side of the district facing the NBC Universal building. The area I'm in is more single family residences, so my view is unobstructed (from the floor), but nothing like yours.

Regarding Trader Joes, you should definitely go to their website. There is a section to request a local store in your area.

Regarding your stay at NoHo14, good for you for enhancing your quality of life. It's like they say, you get what you pay for. I've been in a cheapo apartment and it's true when you pay cheap, you tend to have a lot of the negative aspects of cheapness (crime, poor apartment management). It's nice to hear your building is on top of things.

Haha, you're funny.

I guess my philosophy is that money is a tool that is traded for an enhanced quality of life, as you say. One's home or apartment is the center of their life and any money spent on that is money well spent. It's important that we get as much happiness and enjoyment out of life as we can, because lord knows there's enough misery to go around.

When we decided to leave the old apartment and move here, we knew that our rent would double, but we also feel that our quality of life has more than doubled, and that alone makes it worth it. There are just so many intangible qualities that a nice apartment has, like being able to bring friends over and not worried that they'll get mugged on the way to their car. And after a rotten day at work, you can come home and feel that your efforts are worthwhile.

Besides, when you look at a city like New York or London, L.A. is a relative bargain!

As the saying goes, "The cheap comes out expensive". You do indeed get what you pay for and a less expensive place will save hard currency, but the associated problems are simply not worth it.

So great to meet someone else in the neighborhood, and I too love Daphne's. My dad's side of the family was somewhat involved with the Greek Orthodox church and man, can those people COOK.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
Hey Hpcatfish -- thanks for your posts. We are considering the building too. Can you tell me... is it pretty quiet? The tenants, I mean, do you notice a ton of parties or noise drifting up or down from all those balconies? And where do your guests park? How fast are the elevators? Funny, I know, but we're in a big complex right now and the 'vators are slooooooow.
thanks!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noho2000 View Post
Hey Hpcatfish -- thanks for your posts. We are considering the building too. Can you tell me... is it pretty quiet? The tenants, I mean, do you notice a ton of parties or noise drifting up or down from all those balconies? And where do your guests park? How fast are the elevators? Funny, I know, but we're in a big complex right now and the 'vators are slooooooow.
thanks!
Oh hey, the thread is alive again!

Yes, the insulation is excellent and while there is some incidental noise from the traffic, fire station, occasional high speed chase etc. it is very quiet. We have our own parking garage, and if there are guests over they can park on the street or if it's on the weekend, the valet will do it for them. The elevators....yeah, those can be a little slow with 190 units, but it's not unbearable.

We like it here enough that we just renewed our lease for another year, if that tells you anything. Where are you moving from?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:11 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,413,770 times
It sounds like a nice place hpcatfish.

Condos are usually built to a higher standard than (rental) apartments so it looks like what you have is a great quality apartment in a great area. Nice going. It is very nice you are happy where you live.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
We're in the Archstone in Studio City, where we moved for a short-term lease after selling our house. Thinking we might rent for a year or more before buying again, and we really like the Arts District. I've heard about noise issues in the Academy apartments, not sure about NoHo Commons. Does it seem like your building is at a high level of occupancy? Trying to gauge if they're in the mood to make deals on rent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or