U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR LA MAYOR?
Antonio Villaraigosa 14 30.43%
Walter Moore 23 50.00%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,935,291 times

Advertisements

I would like to see a few debates between the two but that won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,692,458 times
I hope Walter Moore can win. I don't agree with what he said about rent control, though. Has anyone heard of a guy named David Hernandez? I think I saw that he was running for mayor.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,819,384 times
No way am I voting for Moore. Another poster was right, he'd probably fire Bratton who is the best chief we've had since Gates. Moore also is NOT an Angeleno, he's from AZ. I also think he wrote that Jamiels Law for the sole purpose of obtaining the African American vote. He's not right for Los Angeles. Not at all!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,692,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
No way am I voting for Moore. Another poster was right, he'd probably fire Bratton who is the best chief we've had since Gates. Moore also is NOT an Angeleno, he's from AZ. I also think he wrote that Jamiels Law for the sole purpose of obtaining the African American vote. He's not right for Los Angeles. Not at all!!!!
You gotta be kidding me

Old 02-27-2009, 03:44 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,970,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
moore is a joke. if elected he would fire bratton and replace him with arpaio from AZ.
Is that true? If that is the case, than I take back what I said about Moore as being a decent guy who just happens to have some weird ideas. If Moore REALLY wants to replace Bratton with Arpaio, than he's absolutely NUTS. That would be like having former New Orleans chief Eddie Compass (who was chief during Katrina) as chief in L.A.

Quote:
why would he replace bratton? bratton has done a lot to reduce crime in LA.
While Arpaio has underseen HUGE increases in crime in Maricopa County, engaged in corruption from sleazy dealings, and is constantly the target of lawsuits. He's not even a dirtbag who gets the job done, he's a plain and simple dirtbag.

Quote:
moore has some looney tunes ideas.
You're telling me. That's even nuttier than his pro-PETA sympathies.

Quote:
they wont pan out. and i am glad he will not be LA's next mayor.

i wish other serious candidates existed, but in the meantime, Villaraigosa aint doing all that bad. his LAUSD takeover annoyed the hell out of me
If Tony had been able to successfully take over LAUSD, then he would have had my unqualified endorsement for mayor regardless of anything else he did and he would be in the rankings of LA's greatest mayors ever.

I have expressed my displeasure with Tony but the only thing wrong with his plans towards school takeover is that they didn't succeed. Abolishing the LAUSD would be a great step towards improving Los Angeles.

Unfortunately as I do not live in L.A. or even in Southern California I can't vote, but I urge all those who are unhappy with Tony and who want to make a protest vote to vote for Zuma Dogg or Hernandez or whoever else is running rather than Moore.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,970,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
No way am I voting for Moore. Another poster was right, he'd probably fire Bratton who is the best chief we've had since Gates. Moore also is NOT an Angeleno, he's from AZ.
In all fairness - L.A. has only had THREE Angelenos as mayors, Hahn, Villaraigosa, and 1890s mayor Fred Eaton. All 20th Century mayors of L.A. were transplants. Riordan was a New Yorker, Bradley was a Texan, Yorty was from Missouri, not sure where previous mayors were from - but the LA Times when Hahn became mayor stated he was the first Angeleno mayor of LA since Eaton.

Quote:
I also think he wrote that Jamiels Law for the sole purpose of obtaining the African American vote. He's not right for Los Angeles. Not at all!!!!
Make that the best LAPD chief EVER.

Gates was the worst police chief in LA history, with his mentor Parker being the 2nd worst.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM

21 posts, read 40,174 times
Default Vote with conscience and confidence.

CONFUSION does rule.
I cannot help or suggest (which is bad).Do not fall for suggestions. Know why you are voting so and so.
I am a regular contributor to City-Desk.
Voting these days, is shallow and without thought. Probably, international education is due. A rich businessman donates of late to charities, makes himself popular and vyes for an electoral position. People vote him in blindly, and suffer till his term is over. In the meantime, he has made all political conections for his future. The ball rolls again
Compare candidates. The past and the present. Not being tall,short or fat,
but DELIVERY of promises; execution of communal and social needs; good upper connections to get things done and a person who holds the driving wheel is the best.

ThiruselvamK
Malaysia.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,935,291 times
Anyone know if Walter Moore is pro-development. Like Pro-Casden.

Tony P. is Pro Casden and Casden is bad for Los Angeles. His fairy tale projects are anything but that on surrounding traffic and parking nightmares.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,074,023 times
hey, we agree on something. well sort of.

but yes, today there was an article about moore in the LA times. when i learned his plan to get rid of bratton if elected, i immediately disqualified him.

bratton is one good thing to happen to LA in the recent past.

now back to the LAUSD issue. i do think its big and thats why the local districts exist, but it seems that those might even be consolidated in order to keep up with the times financially.

if not LAUSD, what do you think should exist in terms of a school district. im very intrigued maj

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Is that true? If that is the case, than I take back what I said about Moore as being a decent guy who just happens to have some weird ideas. If Moore REALLY wants to replace Bratton with Arpaio, than he's absolutely NUTS. That would be like having former New Orleans chief Eddie Compass (who was chief during Katrina) as chief in L.A.

While Arpaio has underseen HUGE increases in crime in Maricopa County, engaged in corruption from sleazy dealings, and is constantly the target of lawsuits. He's not even a dirtbag who gets the job done, he's a plain and simple dirtbag.

You're telling me. That's even nuttier than his pro-PETA sympathies.

If Tony had been able to successfully take over LAUSD, then he would have had my unqualified endorsement for mayor regardless of anything else he did and he would be in the rankings of LA's greatest mayors ever.

I have expressed my displeasure with Tony but the only thing wrong with his plans towards school takeover is that they didn't succeed. Abolishing the LAUSD would be a great step towards improving Los Angeles.

Unfortunately as I do not live in L.A. or even in Southern California I can't vote, but I urge all those who are unhappy with Tony and who want to make a protest vote to vote for Zuma Dogg or Hernandez or whoever else is running rather than Moore.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 PM

5,908 posts, read 6,357,607 times
Actually Hahn was the one who brought in and appointed Bratton as Police Chief. Crime has city has dropped for six consecutive years thanks to Hahn. Villaraigosa spends no more than 11% of his time on city business, the rest is photo-ops and campaign functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The crime rate has lowered significantly under Villaraigosa watch [he was instrumental in bringing Bratton from NYC]. An increase in LAPD has shown results & LA has a lower crime rate than most large cities in America. Villaraigosa has been in DC 3 times since Obama became president. A strong Democrat, Antonio is a vital link to both Sacramento [Schwarzenegger's mayor] & most importantly to Washington [Pelosi-Reid constituents live within 300 miles of LA]. Villaraigosa asked for support & got 2 major rail projects [LA to San Francisco & LA to Las Vegas bullet trains are in Obama's stimulus budget

Villaraigosa did not get control of the school district due to judicial review & some union concerns. Downtown LA has seen the most growth & revitalization since Villaraigosa became alcalde de Los Angeles. But he has not been able to bring the NFL back [a major ache]. Hollywood looks better & the TV industry is happy with LA. I look forward to more transit improvement with rail beyond just the Exposition Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles