U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR LA MAYOR?
Antonio Villaraigosa 14 30.43%
Walter Moore 23 50.00%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 PM
 
916 posts, read 3,188,555 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

"Villaraigosa is a Democrat deeply involved in the labor movement for more union protections\ universal health care\ better schools with extensive pre-school & after school activities for kids of working parents. The mayor is better known & much more influential than any mayor since Bradley, our finest mayor."

Union protections have bankrupted our city governments. Universal healthcare is not the job of gov't nor could it provide it effectively. We'll see this when Obama implements a plan and it results in disaster. Pre and after school activities means daycare and again that is not gov't responsibility. Stop trying to reward people for making bad decisons by having what remains of the productive members of society support them.


"Villaraigosa promised and has delivered more police & lower crime yet Republicans refuse to acknowledge anything but childish mantras [ie. "Villaraigosa spends no more than 11% of his time on city business" - who says?"

Crime overall in the country is down. LA still has the worst gang problem and Tony V. has done nothing to help. His sanctuary policy for illegal aliens actually hurts.

LA Weekly did a story showing that he only works 11% of his time on city business.

The GOP probably won't win because the liberal politicians have done a very good job of putting policies in place that make more and more people dependent on gov't. So now there are just not that many people who support policies that reward people for making good choices and working hard. Welcome to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,978,485 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
LA Bratton is not the same Bratton as NYC Bratton. He doesn't enforce "broken windows"
Think it might have something to do with only having 1/4 as many officers as in NYC?

Bratton himself said that if he had twice the number of officers in LA than LA would have the lowest crime rate as any city in the US.

The problem is a police force that is FAR too small.

Quote:
It is the worst mayor ever, Tony V.
You seem to believe that Tony is the worst mayor ever anywhere in the US let alone anywhere in California. Do you REALLY think that Ron Dellums of Oakland is better than Tony (despite Tony's very real flaws)? If so, WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 PM
 
916 posts, read 3,188,555 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Think it might have something to do with only having 1/4 as many officers as in NYC?

Bratton himself said that if he had twice the number of officers in LA than LA would have the lowest crime rate as any city in the US.

The problem is a police force that is FAR too small.



You seem to believe that Tony is the worst mayor ever anywhere in the US let alone anywhere in California. Do you REALLY think that Ron Dellums of Oakland is better than Tony (despite Tony's very real flaws)? If so, WHY?
we don't have enough police because Tony V. wastes money primarily on developers, expensive union deals, and social programs that don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,978,485 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
we don't have enough police because Tony V. wastes money primarily on developers, expensive union deals, and social programs that don't work.
So what was the excuse of EVERY one of Tony's predecessors dating at least as far back as Poulsen?

Los Angeles historically has had problems with being an underpoliced city with a police department too small for the population's size. This is not something that began with Tony. In fact, Tony has increased the size of the force, albeit insufficiently. This is a problem that existed before he was born in some fashion.

And you still haven't answered my question as to whether you really think Tony's worse than the Mayor of Oakland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 4,580,931 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The problem with Republicans in LA is that they are generally very much behind the times & behind in the thinking department, in general.
This is really not a Republican vs. Democrat election. LA city elections are non-partisan and neither party really controls things here in the traditional way political parties control and influence state and federal politics. Richard Riordan was mayor for 8 years and he's a Republican. Nobody cared. Could he get the job done is what mattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yesterday, business took me into Hollywood\ West Hollywood & downtown. I drove more than I have in several months & was quite surprised to see so much construction still going on. And some very attractive buildings including a partial "low income" 5 story apartment building on Santa Monica Blvd. Same in West Hollywood.
What does this have to do with Villaraigosa? Hollywood's revitalization was well under way before he became mayor. Major projects like Hollywood and Highland, Sunset and Vine, and the new W Hotel were planned and green lighted under Riordan's and Hahn's administration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Racism & envy are a sad ingredient in Republican psyche & only lead to bitterness for those who stay in California.
What are you talking about? Getting back to the mayor's race, Villaraigosa won all demographic groups in the last election, so I don't think people are opposed to him because of his racial/ethnic heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
It's funny that you can not list any factual information but paint the same old tired response of a political party more suited for the South than the rest of the nation.
Exactly what factual information are you looking for? And where is your factual data? You claim Villaraigosa is responsible for crime reduction in LA despite the well known fact that violent crime in LA has been on a downward slope for a decade, and perhaps longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I do not see anymore graffiti then years ago & maybe less. But it is not so prevalent to be considered a major problem.
How long have you lived here?


Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Villaraigosa is a Democrat deeply involved in the labor movement for more union protections\ universal health care\ better schools with extensive pre-school & after school activities for kids of working parents. The mayor is better known & much more influential than any mayor since Bradley, our finest mayor.
That all sounds noble, but is generally not within the perview of the mayor or city government.

Also, after Bradley, Riordan has probably been our best mayor to date. Much of the praise you are heeping on LA's urban revitalization is owed to him: Disney Hall, Staples Center, Hollywood & Highland, extension of light rail, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Villaraigosa promised and has delivered more police & lower crime
Prove it. Crime was already headed down when he took office.


Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
LA is an exciting & invigorating city. Have you noticed that every entertainment award show [Grammies\ Oscars\ every music category, etc.]comes from LA? Much more than I can ever remember in past years. More interesting people live here than in comparable sized cities [writers\ actors\ musicians\ athletes, etc.].
No argument there. LA is indeed a great city. Perhaps the greatest of the world's Alpha cities. And by the way, all those award shows originated and live here. It's a part of the city's signature and identity as the entertainment capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM
 
916 posts, read 3,188,555 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So what was the excuse of EVERY one of Tony's predecessors dating at least as far back as Poulsen?

Los Angeles historically has had problems with being an underpoliced city with a police department too small for the population's size. This is not something that began with Tony. In fact, Tony has increased the size of the force, albeit insufficiently. This is a problem that existed before he was born in some fashion.

And you still haven't answered my question as to whether you really think Tony's worse than the Mayor of Oakland
The difference is Tony and all his tax increase schemes. He keeps getting more money for police but the police never get added as much as they are supposed to.

Look, I think the guy is awful. You don't. We can agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,978,485 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post

Also, after Bradley, Riordan has probably been our best mayor to date. Much of the praise you are heeping on LA's urban revitalization is owed to him: Disney Hall, Staples Center, Hollywood & Highland, extension of light rail, etc.
In ONE very important respect, Riordan was better than Bradley - he got rid of the old "Progressive Charter" which limited mayoral power and diffused responsibility to the point that no one was accountable. The old City Charter gave the mayor no power over the LAPD and made City Council members mini-mayors of their own districts. In fact it's a wonder that L.A. EVER functioned considering how dysfunctional of a political document the "Progressive Charter" was.

Riordan's charter was a step in the right direction but L.A. mayors still do not have enough power compared to other US big city mayors.

No one will deny Bradley loved his adapted city, tried to do what was best for it, and that his first three terms were phenomenally successful, but his power was limited. Admittedly his negotiating skills that he exercised outside of City Hall did help. However Bradley's fifth term was a trainwreck, the worst period in L.A.'s history.

As for graffiti, it was seriously out of control in the '80s and most of the '90s, started dying down in the late '90s, but lately has made a resurgence because of budget cuts. It's STILL not up to the level that it was at 15 years ago, though.




Prove it. Crime was already headed down when he took office.




No argument there. LA is indeed a great city. Perhaps the greatest of the world's Alpha cities. And by the way, all those award shows originated and live here. It's a part of the city's signature and identity as the entertainment capital.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,978,485 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
The difference is Tony and all his tax increase schemes. He keeps getting more money for police but the police never get added as much as they are supposed to.
Riordan was the only previous mayor who TRIED to get more money for police, None of the others did.
Also, it would take a great deal more money for those increases in police to show on the street.

Quote:
Look, I think the guy is awful. You don't.
I have criticized Tony in this forum repeatedly. However I don't think he's as bad as Dellums or certain other mayors in the US.

There are plenty of things that are wrong with Tony but he's not the anti-Christ as certain people here might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 4,580,931 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
No one will deny Bradley loved his adapted city, tried to do what was best for it, and that his first three terms were phenomenally successful, but his power was limited. Admittedly his negotiating skills that he exercised outside of City Hall did help. However Bradley's fifth term was a trainwreck, the worst period in L.A.'s history.
Largely due to circumstances beyond his control, like a rogue police department which he did not legally oversee under the old city charter.

Whether that time was the worst period in the city's history is debatable. The 60s were pretty turbulent and the Watt's Riots and mass exodus of middle class whites out of South LA that ensued changed the face of the city forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As for graffiti, it was seriously out of control in the '80s and most of the '90s, started dying down in the late '90s, but lately has made a resurgence because of budget cuts. It's STILL not up to the level that it was at 15 years ago, though.
I live here. You don't. I see it every week day on the 10 heading to and from work. It's WORSE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2009, 05:58 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 11,060,984 times
Reputation: 1477
The party of the mayor is significant since some go on to run for governor [though Californians in general hate LA mayors The non-partisanship comment is correct because the city is almost entirely Democratic [all geographical areas\ income status\ diversely racial]. Riordan was well know to Angelenos well before he was elected mayor as a philanthropic Catholic businessman. He was totally despised by Republicans [ie Orange county] for being pro-gay\ pro health care. He personally donated to put in or improve hundreds of parks\ playgrounds. Riordan did not accept a salary. What's for Democrats not to like? If all Republicans were like Riordan & Schwarzenegger there would be peace & progress in our nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top