U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,552 times

Advertisements

hello everyone
actually i have won a lottory to live in us and i found LA match to my opinios but actually i am not sure about the cost of living there.me and my spouse are coming together,can you please let me know what is the medium range of income for living in la ?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 PM

771 posts, read 1,310,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
Analysis paralysis. I agree, sometimes the choices can be overwhelming and even overly excessive.
I am from Iowa but I've been gone from home since '87. The fact is, most of the so called are crap and more crap in large cities... but, unfortunately, there aren't enough jobs back home to return, so I'm stuck out of state and probably will never be able to get back. Tons of us WOULD move back home if there was decent paying work, but there isn't.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,818,921 times
I moved to LA from Boston when I was 18; I'd been there once, for about five days, when I was seventeen. I'd saved for a few months and paid for myself and my GF to go to LA, then up to Seattle, then back to LA since she'd never seen the West Coast. In those five days, I decided that I needed to move there.

Maybe it was because my parents hadn't ever taken me or my sister there no matter how many times we asked and I, like everyone else in the world, had always seen it on TV and film and heard it in music as being the coolest place ever. Maybe it was because it was just about in the opposite corner of the US from Boston. I had a lot of different motivations that made me decided to throw all my crap in the back of my Saab hatchback and haul myself across cornfields and deserts to get there.

And I'm so, so glad I did.

Immedeately, I was blown away at the sheer breadth of the place: being there this time around, living there, driving a car around, made me realize that the place was gi-freakin-gantic. It was maddening at times, definitely, but at the same time, it made it amazing. If I budgeted an hour in each direction to walk around on my day off from my apartment in Koreatown and brought a ten-spot with me, I could eat basically any ethnic cuisine I wanted and still have enough for a Coke on the way back. I could walk around at night and not wear a jacket because it was always warm. I was happier than hell just putting my headphones on and discovering the neighborhoods around me.

When I started making money and got a decent car and had more opportunity to go all over, I got to see all these other amazing neighborhoods and everywhere I went, I found more and more stuff that amazed me. I got more steadily fed up with living near Beverly and Vermont and having to get to the Westside, so I found an apartment in Venice and moved there. Every step of the way, I met amazing people, did amazing things, and had countless amazing experiences. I don't think that I'll ever recapture that sort of feeling - being away from home for the first time and being in a place like that, in a time like that... but I am very, very thankful I did.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 61,117 times
Thumbs down Randy Newman's "I Love LA"

i know music pretty well, but this Randy Newman's "I Love LA", sounds terrible!!! a song for this kind of a city should be Evergreen..., this song is nothing but evergreen... LA, choose another song! may be Kathy Perry's???

Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,818,921 times
I prefer Elliott Smith's "LA."

YouTube - Elliott Smith : La

My favorite lines are,

"Look at me, I'm talking to you
I don't want the lead in your play
The star's just a part of the scene
The gentleman in green
Paying off, out on the street
I can't go home, it's not on my way"

Old 12-30-2010, 09:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,282,433 times
Well,

I think about the time I've spent here and I'm one of those long term residents of this city. It has been a really long time I've been here and I've seen things change. I thought I might revive this thread just to say that I've learned that no place is ever perfect and that no place will ever suit a person's needs by 100%. For all the criticism that LA gets, it still has its positives one of which I discovered today. Today was a bit windy but the sun being out may help those who felt cold today. I've had my ups and downs here but from the way things look, I'll still be here for a while.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,385,752 times
Right now it's too cold.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 AM

4 posts, read 13,309 times
I am happy I found this thread. I am a native san franciscan and have recently decided to make the move to West Hollywood (where I will rely on public transport) I am doing this to hopefully become more independent and even if I only last a few months I hope to gain a new perspective on living as my life has become stale. Thank you to those who have pointed out some beautiful insight that will help me in my transition.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,369,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaplex View Post
I moved here from Ohio and understand your concern. I find that many people here don't take advantage of the city and the different areas. I live on the westside and the people I know think a trip to Hollywood is a weekend journey. When I suggest jumping on the metro rail I get this look like "are your serious"? I find that people on the westside stay on the west side. When was the last time you saw a blue eyed caucasion white woman on Broadway ave downtown? Don't happen! I for one was very excited when I moved here from a small town and unlike my friends, have never lost that perspective. I like to drive to midwilshire and jump on the red line to Hollywood or sometimes to Redondo Beach and jump on the Green line to Blue to Red. Went to the ""Make musick Pasadena" festival last summer and road the rail. It's amazing what one could see if they only had the spirit to venture out and around the city. It's almost like taking a trip to a foreing country due to the diversified nature of this city. I moved out here when I was 30 and now I'm 59 and still doing it. I would suggest that everyone get out of their little corners of the world and explore while you can. This is not to say I don't complain about LA because I do. Illegal immigration, traffic, etc but I try to keep it in perspective and keep in mind that at least it's not boring like in Ohio.

That last line says it all - I moved to Nashville and am bored silly. LA has so much variety.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,369,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I moved to LA from Boston when I was 18; I'd been there once, for about five days, when I was seventeen. I'd saved for a few months and paid for myself and my GF to go to LA, then up to Seattle, then back to LA since she'd never seen the West Coast. In those five days, I decided that I needed to move there.

Maybe it was because my parents hadn't ever taken me or my sister there no matter how many times we asked and I, like everyone else in the world, had always seen it on TV and film and heard it in music as being the coolest place ever. Maybe it was because it was just about in the opposite corner of the US from Boston. I had a lot of different motivations that made me decided to throw all my crap in the back of my Saab hatchback and haul myself across cornfields and deserts to get there.

And I'm so, so glad I did.

Immedeately, I was blown away at the sheer breadth of the place: being there this time around, living there, driving a car around, made me realize that the place was gi-freakin-gantic. It was maddening at times, definitely, but at the same time, it made it amazing. If I budgeted an hour in each direction to walk around on my day off from my apartment in Koreatown and brought a ten-spot with me, I could eat basically any ethnic cuisine I wanted and still have enough for a Coke on the way back. I could walk around at night and not wear a jacket because it was always warm. I was happier than hell just putting my headphones on and discovering the neighborhoods around me.

When I started making money and got a decent car and had more opportunity to go all over, I got to see all these other amazing neighborhoods and everywhere I went, I found more and more stuff that amazed me. I got more steadily fed up with living near Beverly and Vermont and having to get to the Westside, so I found an apartment in Venice and moved there. Every step of the way, I met amazing people, did amazing things, and had countless amazing experiences. I don't think that I'll ever recapture that sort of feeling - being away from home for the first time and being in a place like that, in a time like that... but I am very, very thankful I did.
so why sf now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles