U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,556,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPorterPitt View Post
Nobody is trashing the weather. That's why they come.
The weather is the absolute best in the United States, running neck at neck with San Diego, which I used to think had a "similar" personality, but DOES NOT. No major U.S. city can compete with LA for its weather. Even guests from overseas remarked how awesome the LA summer is...in "the basin," mid 80s and dry during the day, with cool evenings for which you might need a light jacket. And when you go back to visit LA after living somewhere else, you know what you gave up....as soon as you get out of baggage claim at LAX and feel that breeze...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:09 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,301,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
Reading through this thread makes me realize a one thing...

No matter how awesome a place may seem, there will always be others who trash it, because, simply put, not everyone enjoys the same thing about a city. What makes one person jump with excitement makes another miserable.

For me, I am spontaneous, impulsive, and bored with my surroundings very easily, so I need to be somewhere where I can live a completely different life from one day to the next. There is no city in the U.S. that comes close to L.A. in this aspect.

Also, I hear people complain about the distance from neighborhood to neighborhood and act as if it's impossible to enjoy the best of all of them. I visited LA back in 2007 and remember going to Santa Monica and Venice during the early day, then going back near LAX and then over to the Home Depot Center to watch a fight. Afterwards we all went back to Santa Monica for a few drinks and then decided to go to Hollywood to a night club.

People also complain about the cost of living. There are affordable areas in LA that don't seem to be all that bad in comparison to other cities. For a middle income professional living alone, LA is much more affordable than DC! It is a little more expensive than Atlanta, but the quality of life you can get for the price blows both of them out of the water. (At least in my opinion)

Reading through threads on this board sometimes makes me feel that people in LA just don't want anyone else moving to the city because they complain about it so much, seemingly in an effort to keep it all for themselves. I have lived in ATL, MIA, DET, and SC. I currently live in DC, but frequently travel back and forth to LA for work, as I prepare to live there and do the exact opposite. I love the place and would recommend it for anyone.

There's a lot of truth here. In fact, there's a lot of truth in this thread. RobtPolyGlot also nailed it, re: chemistry. No place can be all things to all people, despite the rantings of many New Yorkers. Perhaps LA has suffered a backlash for its history of boosterism. But again, the variety and combination of experiences readily available to most people in Southern California is unmatched.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,347 times
I move from Los Angeles to Miami on 11/11 today 9/12 I bean here in Miami for 10 months my life has turn in to he'll I bean crying sence I got here I have a very severe depression I can sleep I can't eat I'm always angry living Los angeles n moving to Miami biggest mistake I ever ever dong in my life I miss Los Angeles so so much I can't Waite to get that he'll out of Miami n go back to my home Los Angeles I never never hate something so much like I hate Miami if you think Los Angeles is expensive no Miami is extremely expensive compare to Los Angeles minimo wage in Miami $7.67 n everything is so so expensive here in Miami if you r thinking of living Los Angeles think twice

Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 PM

181 posts, read 261,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkd View Post
if you think Los Angeles is expensive no Miami is extremely expensive compare to Los Angeles
Statistics say LA is much more expensive than Miami. If you want to live anywhere desirable in LA it is expensive.

Downtown LA is pretty boring. The attempt to liven it up with LA Live is pretty weak. That being said there is so much to do around LA that you don't really have to spend much time there lol. Southern California has so many great cities I don't' know anyone who just spends time in just one.

That's the great thing about SoCal is that it is very diverse and spread out. LA is the 2nd largest city in the Nation by population but you don't every feel cramped. I was recently in Chicago and you can feel the walls closing in on you!

I'm originally from Chicago and moved to LA in 1988. It may sound funny but I really missed the 4 seasons. I love winter but never got it in LA. Yes I know we have mountains but it's not the same. While I had a great time in SoCal I decided to head back east. Change is always good

Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,024 times
I'm actually moving to LA from Portland, OR next fall.

I've been in the Pacific Northwest nearly my entire life and Los Angeles is the last place I ever thought I would wind up. I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,294,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond1978 View Post
I've lived in LA for 30 years and have a lot of memories of the place but I'll tell it to you like this: the problem here is that their aren't any places in the city to live and that makes the quality of life very difficult. The nice areas which are few and far between are very expensive and tha bad areas which are the majority are also actually expensive. The traffic does not get to me because that you can get used to and most of the people are low class. Anything east of Staples Center is not worth living in.
This is what's wrong with the world. What a freaking jerk! There's plenty of great neighborhoods to live in unless your definition of nice is extravagant. I live in Palms in West LA and it's beautiful, safe and diverse. You need to step up your attitude and stop being a snob.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
Downtown LA is pretty boring. The attempt to liven it up with LA Live is pretty weak. That being said there is so much to do around LA that you don't really have to spend much time there lol. Southern California has so many great cities I don't' know anyone who just spends time in just one.

That's the great thing about SoCal is that it is very diverse and spread out. LA is the 2nd largest city in the Nation by population but you don't every feel cramped. I was recently in Chicago and you can feel the walls closing in on you!

I'm originally from Chicago and moved to LA in 1988. It may sound funny but I really missed the 4 seasons. I love winter but never got it in LA. Yes I know we have mountains but it's not the same. While I had a great time in SoCal I decided to head back east. Change is always good
You must not know what to do in DTLA. It's not boring at all. Now, if you're comparing it to NYC sure, it's not there (yet) but it's way better than it used to be. I'm from a small place in between Milwaukee and Chicago and don't miss the 4 seasons at all. I love LA's mild summers (with about a couple weeks worth of really warm days but no humidity like in the Chi) and the fall, winter and spring are all the same type of weather. You need a jacket or sweater but not a coat. I love this place!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Bigboote View Post
I'm actually moving to LA from Portland, OR next fall.

I've been in the Pacific Northwest nearly my entire life and Los Angeles is the last place I ever thought I would wind up. I have absolutely no idea what to expect.
Which part of LA are you moving to?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM

6,263 posts, read 10,341,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
There's a reason that they Made Escape from LA and that it is an even a more savage city than New York.
The reason they picked LA, is because people in Frisco would have never made it out alive, not even with Snake Plissken's help!
Quote:
You could not pay me enough money to live in that stinking cesspool.
Well, if they didn't pay you enough to live in a given city, naturally, you wouldn't be able to live there, would you?

That said, I think I am gonna head over to SF forum and trash the city of SF.

nah....just kidding, too busy enjoying life in LA!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,597,204 times
I've lived in LA all of my life and I absolutely love it here. There is still so much I haven't even been able to experience.

I see the city and the metro area as the entire world mixed into one city. It really is. You can find literally everything here.

I have no plans of ever leaving. I see this as paradise.

The only city that compares is San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles