U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM

49,375 posts, read 45,892,062 times
i hear you. i have had a check bounce, it was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 32,630 times
Some tips for renters:
1) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take photos of EVERYTHING when you move in. The walls, the closets, in and under the faucet, behind the stove, -- basically everything in the apartment.
2) Always get the landlords promises in writing. You know, when you move in and somethings broken.. the landlord sometimes will say.. I'll fix that. Or I'll get around to that. Before you move in, get what they're going to do in writing. If not, you might move in, and that thingamagig will never get fixed.
3) Be firm. You and your landlord are entering into a contract.

When you move out, if you've not done any damage to the place and it's fundamentally in the same condition when you left, and you have pictures to back you up, you will get your ENTIRE security deposit back. Why? Because when you move out, California law has specific things a landlord can use the security deposit for.
1) Unpaid rent.
2) Cost for replacing furniture or other things you broke or lost (like keys)
3) Cost for damage, other than normal wear and tear (this one is important)
4) For cleaning the rental unit, but only to make the unit as clean as when the tenant moved in. (Also very important)

Therefore, with your photos or video in hand, showing your landlord that you are leaving the unit in the same condition as you rented it (and IF ITS EXACTLY LIKE THE PHOTOS or Video), then you're going to get your entire security deposit back because a landlord would have a hard time arguing in court that those four provisions weren't met. Especially if you backed up your claim with photo (even videotape evidence) Now, the challenge for a renter is to know the law, and deal with your landlord in a fair manner. Don't just take them to court. Write a letter, provide photo evidence, and keep the conversation businesslike.

Basically, the "cleaning fee" is another way of getting $$ out of you, those of you who don't know tenant/landlord law and don't bother challenging the landlord. No, drapes and worn carpet are not considered costs that the landlord can deduct. Yes, if you left the carpet with a huge rip.

Which is why photographic evidence and a clear understanding of the law will help you.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 10-18-2009, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
Question rental late fees

As I was reading in the late fee law, is that you (owners) don't have your fees/payments until the 15th of the month anyways, so now why is 3 or 5 days hurting so bad that you have to charge such an outrageous late fee?

My beef now is that I am being charged $10 a day after the 5th, why is that? and I know that is not a legal amount to be paying, should I do something about this or can I do something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: