U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2CA? View Post
So that seems to be the area below on a map (please correct me if I'm wrong) -- are the areas below Main closer to the beach still considered Oakwood and "bad"?
No.

Quote:
One of the places I've seen advertised was at Brooks and Pacific, for example.
A perfectly good location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 AM

25 posts, read 153,715 times
Thanks for the replies, this is really helpful! Anyone else have more thoughts?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 AM

13,879 posts, read 13,552,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I used to live off of Oakwood and Venice Blvd - on one of the walk streets. Down the street, I could literally hear gunshots but where I was...
Sounds like not much has changed. We lived in that area in the early to mid 1980's. Everyone on our block had a pit bull and a chain link fence (but we all put up with it since it was a 7-block walk to the beach). We were robbed during the day of everything we owned and couldn't sell the house so we rented it out. Drove back a few years ago to see the tiny house raised and an enormous, modern 3-story home sitting on the same property. Still love that area--the air, the water, the people--but wouldn't recommend it to a single young woman.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,039,406 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, this is really helpful! Anyone else have more thoughts?
It's a funny area. Many would consider Venice High a rat hole, yet as was said, it has million dollar homes right next to it.

The street behind venice high, zanja, use to be closed during the school day I think...I think because of gang/drive by shooting worries. Although, I dont know if thats the case now. That might be old news by now.

Yet if you go a few blocks over, to the southwest, theres a big Costco center. And you'd never know that you're in Venice or on the border. Nice in n out burgers there too

A few blocks down, the marina market place is very nice. That's like a different world, and its only a few streets to the south. The area around Venice/Marina Del Rey is very nice. Nice cheesecake factory there with views of the marina.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
funny, thats not the same apt. that is known for the venice shoreline crips which is at california and lincoln...
Referring to the Lincoln Place projects? They're vacant and sitting behind a barbed wire fence to keep out the homeless until they're torn down.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 AM

241 posts, read 794,841 times
Not sure now but use to have a whole lot of homeless almost like a problem possibly more than any beach in la or even so cal at least 15-20 years ago.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 AM

7 posts, read 19,029 times
Quote:
So that seems to be the area below on a map (please correct me if I'm wrong) -- are the areas below Main closer to the beach still considered Oakwood and "bad"? One of the places I've seen advertised was at Brooks and Pacific, for example.

I know it's only a block or two, but in New York there are some areas where that extra block makes the difference between being able to live there alone as a single girl and not -- I don't know if it's the same in the Venice area.

I appreciate the advice!!
if it's not too late to offer you advice, hopefully others in search of answers to the same question will read this.

i have lived in the Oakwood Pentagon area for more than two years. As others have said, there's a smattering of sketch here and there for sure, but I've never had a bit of trouble. Almost everyone I have encountered in the area have been very cool people.

Venice - even the Oakwood Pentagon aka "Ghost Town" - has dramatically improved over the past 10+ years. I love Venice, and even its "worst parts" - e.g. Oakwood - have become very decent areas.

If you like nice, warm, laid back people (you'll find them all along the LA coastline), funky galleries and boutiques, a variety of cultural influences, good food, neat colorful architecture, good air, and a generally hip place to be, Venice is a real cool spot.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 AM

7 posts, read 19,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It's a funny area. Many would consider Venice High a rat hole, yet as was said, it has million dollar homes right next to it.

The street behind venice high, zanja, use to be closed during the school day I think...I think because of gang/drive by shooting worries. Although, I dont know if thats the case now. That might be old news by now.

Yet if you go a few blocks over, to the southwest, theres a big Costco center. And you'd never know that you're in Venice or on the border. Nice in n out burgers there too

A few blocks down, the marina market place is very nice. That's like a different world, and its only a few streets to the south. The area around Venice/Marina Del Rey is very nice. Nice cheesecake factory there with views of the marina.
Anyone who measures "niceness" by the availability of In-N-Out Burgers, Costco, and a Cheesecake Factory is not someone I want to be taking my cultural advice from.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 AM

2,197 posts, read 6,592,971 times
[quote=majoun;7726457]That's not Oakwood, which ends at California Ave.

I was talking about Oakwood Avenue which runs from Venice Blvd. to California Avenue. The south end of Oakwood Avenue borders the walk streets, which is prime.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 163,901 times
What about Rialto Ave? That seems to be out of the area in the map posted above, although only by a few blocks. Is it nice? (I don't mean to highjack threads, its just I didn't want to create a whole new thread just to a very similar question).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or