U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:20 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,975,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpycroft View Post
What about Rialto Ave? That seems to be out of the area in the map posted above, although only by a few blocks. Is it nice? (I don't mean to highjack threads, its just I didn't want to create a whole new thread just to a very similar question).
It's good. It's on the side of Abbot Kinney that you want to be on.

Goodbyehollywood: Oakwood Ave. runs south of Venice Blvd. as well - it ends at Coeur D'Alene.

Last edited by majoun; 06-20-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM

12 posts, read 42,145 times
Well... I came from a 400.000 population "city" from Denmark and I lived in Venice Beach for six months... To be honest - I nearly always felt safe.. Yes, after dark there were some dodgy people around, but I did not experience any crime during the time ...

My roommates were quite sometimes when I went for a run on the beach at 11pm .. but I guess being an European and hot really knowing what might happen plays a role there..

It felt that beach area was safe (I lived on Brooks Ave), and pretty much everything south Lincoln was quite OK.. never hanged too much east/north of Abbot Kinney though.

I for sure recommend Venice Beach, Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica - lovely!
I miss it big time

Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 AM

7 posts, read 19,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i live a few blocks from the oakwood and have a friend who lives right in the middle of it. Needless to say, i've spent a decent amount of time there at all hours of the day. yes, it is definitely a bit sketch, especially compared to the parts of venice around the canals. at the same time, i've never once felt threatened in the area even though I've spent hours jogging the boardwalk and stumbling around or riding my beach cruiser in the wee hours of the morning after hitting up the local bars. however, there are some interesting characters in the area. the gang element is still somewhat visible, but no much. there are also lots of homeless people in the area. but the big kicker for me is the drug element. after a certain hour, it's really easy to score crack and weed if you so choose. this brings out the crackheads looking for a fix as well as the crackhead dealers who sell it to them.

with any street smarts you would be fine, just know that there are some f---ed up people in venice. Odds are you'll be totally fine, but with people like that walking the streets you never know.
First, I find Oakwood to be fine and mostly as you've said - yes, the occasional slice of sketch but I have never felt in any danger. I absolutely love Venice.

Second, if you wanted to "score weed" why wouldn't you just walk into any of the many stores here that sell it?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 315 times
Please do not move to Venice espeially not Oakwood area. Not that its extremely dangerous or anything but the gentrification is really not appreciated by any of the true locals and they are destroying the true Venice that everyone knows. The Oakwood area was the westernmost area where Blacks were allowed to live after living in shanties and working on the canals. It is hisotrical and sadly rich people are exploiting the circumstances of the poor and changing the character and erasing the history of Venice. I shudder to think that the people who built mansions in the place of an original Oakwood home will one day call themselves Venice locals (barf). Just please stay put of that area the gentrification is not appreciated at all.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM

4,501 posts, read 2,772,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooksgohome View Post
Please do not move to Venice espeially not Oakwood area. Not that its extremely dangerous or anything but the gentrification is really not appreciated by any of the true locals and they are destroying the true Venice that everyone knows. The Oakwood area was the westernmost area where Blacks were allowed to live after living in shanties and working on the canals. It is hisotrical and sadly rich people are exploiting the circumstances of the poor and changing the character and erasing the history of Venice. I shudder to think that the people who built mansions in the place of an original Oakwood home will one day call themselves Venice locals (barf). Just please stay put of that area the gentrification is not appreciated at all.

Considering the thread is 8 years old I'm sure OP already moved there, got a great job and bought a house and has been gentrifying Venice for years. Gentrification is great. I moved to LA 11 years ago and Venice was still a dump and since then it's completely changed due to the influx of money and quality of people moving in just like I've seen in so many other marginal areas of LA. It's cleaner and safer and has much better businesses. Of course it will always be a little trashy as long as local government refuses to take a hard stance on vagrants living there

Old 09-13-2017, 08:29 AM

11,079 posts, read 9,009,200 times
Quote:
Lovely username. I'm sure your mom is proud.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM

3,780 posts, read 2,400,206 times
Quote:
All the trouble of registering just to resurrect an almost decade-old thread with this insane drivel? Some people have way too much time on their hands...

Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM

53 posts, read 21,693 times
Quote:
You're an idiot. Gentrification is good. Venice was gross. Today, thanks to gentrification and better people moving in, Venice is much better than 10 years ago.

You should go crawl under a rock where you belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or