U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM

1,046 posts, read 527,669 times
Ah come on munchitup, don't you know the women in Utah look like this:
Polygamist Wives Club | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpilaud/3065791616/ - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM

3,171 posts, read 3,465,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
The nostalgia for the 1980's is quite funny. I grew up in LA County and was a teenager in the 1980's. I remember old timers back then talking about the "good old days"....as in the 1940's.

Those were the days when the San Fernando Valley (and San Gabriel Valley) were filled with Orange Groves and the sweet smell of citrus was in the air.

The 1980's was a time of tract homes and mini-malls. And high crime, bad hair, and bad smog.

I'll take the 1940's (or the 1920's) over the 1980's anyday. The days before SMOG became a common phrase. Smog didn't really start to be an issue until about 1943.
I'll still take the 1980s for the fact that it was when LA was really on top being that we had the Olympics, and the Lakers, Dodgers, and Raiders giving the town a total of 8 sports championships!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I'll still take the 1980s for the fact that it was when LA was really on top being that we had the Olympics, and the Lakers, Dodgers, and Raiders giving the town a total of 8 sports championships!

Although zero national championships from USC Football & UCLA Basketball.

As another poster stated, the LA economy was certainly more vibrant in the 1980's. Of course, you can say that about many places.

And the LA economy was being pumped with major defense/aerospace stimulus in the '80's. The bottom fell out in the early 1990's, I am not sure the local economy ever quite got its footing back 100%.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,433,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Ah come on munchitup, don't you know the women in Utah look like this:
Polygamist Wives Club | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rpilaud/3065791616/ - broken link)

Please stop it I can't take no more......

Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM

27 posts, read 3,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Lol what? This guy is definitely exclusively into white girls. By the way, there are plenty of 'hot chics' out here in Hollywood. Blows my last home (boston) completely out of the water in that regard.
No, the girls in Hollywood, while somewhat hot, are not at all as stunning as the white-hot chics I saw in Downtown LA in the 80's. No way! The girls you see in Hollywood are not as hot as they once were in the 40's-mid 60's. Think Marilynn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield. The LA girls in downtown was the best ever! As much as Boston has hot chics, which I agree, are just more like a pretty face girls, almost comparable to Hollywood today without all the excessive makeups. LA's downtown night spots, on any given weekend nights, you had all the young Cheryl Tiegs and Kelly Ember/ Christy Brinkley look a likes with them, themselves going there from time to time. There were not even one just pretty face and absolutely no average looking chics there, which would have KO's Mike the Situation so easily. It was no comparison and completely a different era! I miss it big time. No discrimination here. It just just how it was and how I'm telling you it as it was. It was a record breaker! Also, Downtown LA had the oil and financial headquarters. LA ruled and provided during this period. LA had been a perpetual downfall ever since and only now slowly recovering.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 PM

259 posts, read 276,786 times
You guys want beautiful, sexy and exotic women? ... One Word: BRASIL

Most Americans today ( 75% ) of men and women are obese. And American women today, the majority, unfortunately, are obese and independent. They don't need a man. And the feminist movement of the late 1960s made women today what they are: Independent, bossy, crude and even rude. Sadly, I say this as an American man. Once you travel outside the U.S. ... especially to Latin America or Brasil - you're world opens up exponentially in terms of beautiful / approachable women.

Sadly I say this ....

Old 01-15-2012, 01:08 PM

27 posts, read 3,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Lol what? This guy is definitely exclusively into white girls. By the way, there are plenty of 'hot chics' out here in Hollywood. Blows my last home (boston) completely out of the water in that regard.
Now, you have Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton and Tera Reid in Hollywood with all the silver spoon crowd. Yeah, I agree Boston knock Hollywood out of the water now. In the 70's and 80's, Hollywood would beat Boston but not by much. You had Farrah Fawcett, Rachel Welch, Heather Locklear, Lindsay Wagner, Kim Basinger, Michelle Pfiefer, other hot stars I can't think of now and the playboy bunnies as well as hot supermodels like Cindy Crawford, Beverly Johnson, Iman, Christy Brinkley and Carrie Otis. This was very good at this time, but Downtown LA was something else that will never happen again!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:29 PM

5,580 posts, read 5,433,689 times
How far off subject can this thread go(((?)))

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,247,457 times
Air pollution wasn't yet a big concern, at least in the 1950s. I grew up in Van Nuys and one of my chores was taking burnable trash out to our backyard incinerator. Big bad government outlawed those, and mandated smog devices on cars. As bad as smog may be now, imagine what it would hve been without any controls.

Some parts of the Valley were still pretty rural in the 50s but I don't have much memory of those. Simi Valley definitely was rural. About the only time we ever went to downtown L.A. was for Christmas shopping at the big department stores.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Air pollution wasn't yet a big concern, at least in the 1950s. I grew up in Van Nuys and one of my chores was taking burnable trash out to our backyard incinerator. Big bad government outlawed those, and mandated smog devices on cars. As bad as smog may be now, imagine what it would hve been without any controls.

Well, I wasn't alive in the 1950's but I thought the smog started to be an issue in the 1940's and had become a BIG problem by the 1950's?

There was book called Smogtown that came out in the last few years, a sort of social history of smog in LA and the efforts to clean it up.

SMOGTOWN

From reading an excerpt, the first bad smog day happened during WW II and many residents initally thought it was a chemical attack by the Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles