U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,588,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pretty funny for a person of color such as yourself to say that everything was perfect in LA at the time.
You certainly couldn't have lived in the Palisades at the time, nor the part of Santa Monica you grew up in. The only part of SM you could've lived in would've been Pico.
Most things were better, as I have previously stated in this thread, but the racial attitudes and the discrimination of the period were definitely not better.
And most of the Westside and the Valley. Also the LAPD during the Parker regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:26 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,379,932 times
Quote:
Pretty funny for a person of color such as yourself to say that everything was perfect in LA at the time.
You certainly couldn't have lived in the Palisades at the time, nor the part of Santa Monica you grew up in. The only part of SM you could've lived in would've been Pico.
Most things were better, as I have previously stated in this thread, but the racial attitudes and the discrimination of the period were definitely not better.
None of your statements are accurate. If you want to know more about me, PM me and we can talk. Though I'd expect some reciprocation from you.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:49 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,984,021 times
Yep, eliminating the backyard incinerators was going to get rid of the SMOG......ended up as a Joke and overflowing landfill issues.

City fathers etc should have told that to the early Indians who lived in the LA basin in the early ages who called the LA basin........."Valley of Smoke"

Old 07-15-2016, 05:18 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,998,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
None of your statements are accurate. If you want to know more about me, PM me and we can talk. Though I'd expect some reciprocation from you.
You ain't no white boy...you're not even someone who's considered white in America but nonwhite in Europe like yours truly...in the '50s and '60s you DEFINITELY would not have been white.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21077632-post7.html

Never lived in north SM or the Palisades?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18936760-post6.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17931289-post6.html

Anyways in the '50s you could have lived in parts of the westside - but not the parts of the westside you lived in. Palisades was strict whites-only until not that long ago. If you weren't non-Latino white the only part of Santa Monica you could have lived in was Pico (majority Latino then as now, but back then it also had some Asians and blacks). Venice would've been OK, though.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,379,932 times
Quote:
You ain't no white boy...you're not even someone who's considered white in America but nonwhite in Europe like yours truly...in the '50s and '60s you DEFINITELY would not have been white.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/21077632-post7.html

Never lived in north SM or the Palisades?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18936760-post6.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/17931289-post6.html

Anyways in the '50s you could have lived in parts of the westside - but not the parts of the westside you lived in. Palisades was strict whites-only until not that long ago. If you weren't non-Latino white the only part of Santa Monica you could have lived in was Pico (majority Latino then as now, but back then it also had some Asians and blacks). Venice would've been OK, though.
Lol. I never said I was white. But I'm not what I said in 2011 either. I make up different facts to offer different perspectives. And no I've never lived in north SM or the Palisades. Maybe central SM. Most likely Sawtelle/West LA. Maybe I'm Persian or Hispanic. Who knows. It's irrelevant.

If I say LA was great in the 50's, it was for all races. Yes, even blacks. It was a quieter, nicer time.

And what are you, mysterious poster who is always judging everyone else but offers no information? I'm guessing you're black or latino, in your 40s, grew up in mar vista or del rey and now live in the bay area?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:35 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,980,637 times
Quote:
If I say LA was great in the 50's, it was for all races. Yes, even blacks.
My grandma would have disagreed with you.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,588,425 times
Quote:
Lol. I never said I was white. But I'm not what I said in 2011 either. I make up different facts to offer different perspectives. And no I've never lived in north SM or the Palisades. Maybe central SM. Most likely Sawtelle/West LA. Maybe I'm Persian or Hispanic. Who knows. It's irrelevant.

If I say LA was great in the 50's, it was for all races. Yes, even blacks. It was a quieter, nicer time.

And what are you, mysterious poster who is always judging everyone else but offers no information? I'm guessing you're black or latino, in your 40s, grew up in mar vista or del rey and now live in the bay area?
Los Angeles was highly segregated in the 1950s. There were parts of LA where racial violence were rife during that time.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:31 AM

8,861 posts, read 8,996,318 times
Ever notice that every time somebody asks what life was like here many decades ago, the thread turns very hostile over racial issues? There needs to be a sticky that says something like, "Life in L.A. before 1970? RACIST!!!", so that way we could all save time and do something more productive rather than rehash the exact same discussion yet again.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:51 AM

13,968 posts, read 13,604,169 times
Quote:
Lol. ...But I'm not what I said in 2011 either. I make up different facts to offer different perspectives.
Interesting...

Old 07-16-2016, 10:35 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,338,405 times
Quote:
I make up different facts to offer different perspectives.

Yes, apparently you do make up facts. Might want to put down your rose colored glasses about the "glory" days of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or