Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 03:09 PM

93 posts, read 95,681 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in the 50's. There were orange and lemon orchards all over the Valley. My parents bought their home for $12,000 in 1952 - our dog would get out and kill chickens in neighboring farms and drag them across the yard. There was a dairy where we'd go to get our milk and you could smell it long before you could see it. When I learned to drive, people would move over to allow access on the freeways and knew how to use their turn signal! The doors were left open during the day - we kids would go out to play in the mornings and come home when the street lights turned on. There were lots of open fields to play in. We walked to and from school unattended. It was a great place to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 05:59 PM

13,580 posts, read 15,641,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesteren View Post
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in the 50's. There were orange and lemon orchards all over the Valley. My parents bought their home for $12,000 in 1952 - our dog would get out and kill chickens in neighboring farms and drag them across the yard. There was a dairy where we'd go to get our milk and you could smell it long before you could see it. When I learned to drive, people would move over to allow access on the freeways and knew how to use their turn signal! The doors were left open during the day - we kids would go out to play in the mornings and come home when the street lights turned on. There were lots of open fields to play in. We walked to and from school unattended. It was a great place to grow up.
I wish I could have witnessed that era, as I'm sure many people do. All this "progress" our politicians speak of is taking us in the wrong direction.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:27 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,042,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesteren View Post
Wonderful memories! I am from that generation as well in SoCal and can relate to the quieter, safer, more casual laid-back lifestyle you described.

We kids had such freedom back then and I feel for children of today that can't feel safe just playing in their front yards.

It was always fun to go to the local drive-in movie. There was playground equipment just below the movie screen and we kids would play there until the cartoon came on (before the movie) and we'd scramble back to our parent's (and we wore pajamas since we knew we'd fall asleep before the movies were over).

As a teen in the late 50's and early 60's we truly lived like the movie American Graffiti - great times back then.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,181,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
We kids had such freedom back then and I feel for children of today that can't feel safe just playing in their front yards.
out of curiosity, why can't kids today feel safe playing in their front yard?

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,914,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Because their faces are in phones.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:30 AM

1,122 posts, read 959,507 times
You know, not everything was bleak for Blacks back in the late 50's and 60's in Torrance. We had Blacks working at our neighboring Thriftimart food store and they were so nice. There was common respect and it wasn't all bad.

My great uncle did own a lot of land in Watts from what I understood but most people were genuinely kind to people of color and vice versa in Torrance. My father grew up in South Bend, Indiana and my mother grew up in Culver City - went to Hamilton High.

I listen to Mo'Kelley on KFI Talk Radio who grew up in Torrance and is Black. He talks about being pulled over yet he does not understand that Whites were also pulled over. My brother and his buddies were always getting harrassed. Torrance PD were equal opportunity harassers.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
I think I have answered this before, but will put my 2 cents worth in again. I graduated from Eagle Rock High school in 1955. We used to walk everywhere, a lot of girls didn't even drive til they were out of school. Families rarely had 2 cars. We had dances at our high school almost monthly and spent a lot of our time, during he summer at the pool or the beach. Life was good, but not much different than any big city I am guessing. The house we lived in until I was in high school had 3 apricot trees, we would climb them and ea apricots until we almost got sick; we also had a tangerine tree, plum, grapefruit, an avocado trees. Lots of people had orange and grapefruit trees.

I remember the first freeway, which was called the speedway. It connected Pasadena to downtown L.A. First it was called the Arroyo Seco, then later the Pasadena freeway.

My first love was a guy who went to So Pasa. High school. We we together for about a year. On the last day of our Jr Year he wanted to celebrate our becoming seniors and took me out on a very special date: we started by having dinner in china Town at The Golden Pagota restaurant. we each got the all inclusive dinner. It was $1.25 plus we later went to the movie in Hollywood and finished the night at Bob's big boy. As the time was getting really late and he didn't want me to get in trouble he called my parents to assure them I was alright. I am sure they were in bed by then. Today a guy would never think to do that I don't imagine. Most guys had some type of job and most of the gals made our spending money baby sitting for about .50 an hour. There were very few who used alcohol in high school, maybe the guys drank a little; never remember any of us smoking until at least our senior year and many not then. Drugs were something no one even talked about. That came in the 60s and pre marital sex, yep, not everyone was holier than thou,but it wasn't nearly as common as today.

Not everything was peaches and creme, the gangs were beginning to be part of the scene if you lived near the downtown area. yes, there was more prejudice than today, the Korean war was a concern in the early 50s and of course Nam in the middle 60s. Polio was a huge concern until the vacine in the early 60s. Those of us going on to college worried about getting into the college of our choice and those who were going into the working world spent the last part of high school trying to find a decent job. I can't remember the min wage but I think it was around .75 cents an hour. The summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college I was a car hop, making .72 an hour plus tips. I was excited it I made $8.00 of more in tips in a night.

I guess I could go on and on, but others have said many of the things that come to my mind.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,377,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think I have answered this before, but will put my 2 cents worth in again. I graduated from Eagle Rock High school in 1955. We used to walk everywhere, a lot of girls didn't even drive til they were out of school. Families rarely had 2 cars. We had dances at our high school almost monthly and spent a lot of our time, during he summer at the pool or the beach. Life was good, but not much different than any big city I am guessing. The house we lived in until I was in high school had 3 apricot trees, we would climb them and ea apricots until we almost got sick; we also had a tangerine tree, plum, grapefruit, an avocado trees. Lots of people had orange and grapefruit trees.

I remember the first freeway, which was called the speedway. It connected Pasadena to downtown L.A. First it was called the Arroyo Seco, then later the Pasadena freeway.

My first love was a guy who went to So Pasa. High school. We we together for about a year. On the last day of our Jr Year he wanted to celebrate our becoming seniors and took me out on a very special date: we started by having dinner in china Town at The Golden Pagota restaurant. we each got the all inclusive dinner. It was $1.25 plus we later went to the movie in Hollywood and finished the night at Bob's big boy. As the time was getting really late and he didn't want me to get in trouble he called my parents to assure them I was alright. I am sure they were in bed by then. Today a guy would never think to do that I don't imagine. Most guys had some type of job and most of the gals made our spending money baby sitting for about .50 an hour. There were very few who used alcohol in high school, maybe the guys drank a little; never remember any of us smoking until at least our senior year and many not then. Drugs were something no one even talked about. That came in the 60s and pre marital sex, yep, not everyone was holier than thou,but it wasn't nearly as common as today.

Not everything was peaches and creme, the gangs were beginning to be part of the scene if you lived near the downtown area. yes, there was more prejudice than today, the Korean war was a concern in the early 50s and of course Nam in the middle 60s. Polio was a huge concern until the vacine in the early 60s. Those of us going on to college worried about getting into the college of our choice and those who were going into the working world spent the last part of high school trying to find a decent job. I can't remember the min wage but I think it was around .75 cents an hour. The summer between my freshman and sophomore years in college I was a car hop, making .72 an hour plus tips. I was excited it I made $8.00 of more in tips in a night.

I guess I could go on and on, but others have said many of the things that come to my mind.
Those were the days. I grew up in OC and everything was very similar. Now .....

Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 PM

26,701 posts, read 26,756,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we each got the all inclusive dinner. It was $1.25
That's amazing, nita!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 PM

93 posts, read 95,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post

I've thought about this. I think part of it is because when I grew up, there were LOTS and LOTS of kids around. We all had three, four, five children families. Also most of the mothers were stay-at-home moms, so there was always someone at the window doing dishes, someone watering the lawn, or outside talking with neighbors. Now when I drive around family neighborhoods, there's no one around. It would be much easier to snatch a child when adults are all at work and they don't have tons of friends around to sound the alarm. That's my $.02 anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles