U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 PM

336 posts, read 1,220,252 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I just had to go get my baby book out to see which hospital I was born. I was born in the Centinela Hospital which was at 935 So. Flower St, Inglewood CA on Dec 4th 1946. I loved in Inglewood and all around the LA area when very young. Then my mother passed away when I was about 5 yrs old. I lived with my grandparents in Inglewood and also with family friends that had a son the same age as me. We lived in El Monte. My dad remarried and we built a new home in Anaheim the same time Disneyland was being built. Growing up in Southern California was an experience that I will never forget and I feel so fortunate to have lived there with the orange tree's and beautiful beaches and avocado orchards. I remember the air raid drills and the Santa Ana winds and taking our boat to the Newport Dunes and out into the ocean to fish and watch the whales. Now that I don't live there anymore - I read everything I can about So. California. I remember going to the Pike in Long Beach as a kid but even more so right after I graduated from high school and lived there in 1965. And of course, Disneyland was a place we all went to hangout while in high school. There were dances. And Knotts Berry Farm was free to get in and we would go there to shop for basket purses. I remember the Frosty Freeze and all the dairies on Lincoln Ave going from Anaheim to my grandma's in Lakewood (Bellflower and Lincoln Ave, which is Carson now) with the beautiful park across the street. Now I spend hours just looking at apartments for rent on Craigslist as I see places that I remember - and look at the area's with the live maps and look up our old houses and places we lived. But as much as I love the climate and tropical plants and ocean, I don't know that I could ever be happy living there now after being away for so many years. I want to remember it as it was before it got so overly crowded.

I did live there during the Watts fires and issues - my first daughter was born prematurely Jan 1966 and had to be transferred to the Childrens Hospital in Hollywood. I lived in Paramount at the time so had to drive to the hospital every other day to visit her for 3 weeks. When she was able to come home I still had to drive her in for the doctors to check how she was doing. It was very scary to be a young mother with a very ill baby and having to drive so close to the area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You talk about the plunge, how long has it been since anyone called a pool a plunge?
"I've gotta drop the kids off at the plunge." That just don't sound right, Nita.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
Hi All - I just had to go get my baby book out to see which hospital I was born. I was born in the Centinela Hospital which was at 935 So. Flower St, Inglewood CA on Dec 4th 1946. I loved in Inglewood and all around the LA area when very young. Then my mother passed away when I was about 5 yrs old. I lived with my grandparents in Inglewood and also with family friends that had a son the same age as me. We lived in El Monte. My dad remarried and we built a new home in Anaheim the same time Disneyland was being built. Growing up in Southern California was an experience that I will never forget and I feel so fortunate to have lived there with the orange tree's and beautiful beaches and avocado orchards. I remember the air raid drills and the Santa Ana winds and taking our boat to the Newport Dunes and out into the ocean to fish and watch the whales. Now that I don't live there anymore - I read everything I can about So. California. I remember going to the Pike in Long Beach as a kid but even more so right after I graduated from high school and lived there in 1965. And of course, Disneyland was a place we all went to hangout while in high school. There were dances. And Knotts Berry Farm was free to get in and we would go there to shop for basket purses. I remember the Frosty Freeze and all the dairies on Lincoln Ave going from Anaheim to my grandma's in Lakewood (Bellflower and Lincoln Ave, which is Carson now) with the beautiful park across the street. Now I spend hours just looking at apartments for rent on Craigslist as I see places that I remember - and look at the area's with the live maps and look up our old houses and places we lived. But as much as I love the climate and tropical plants and ocean, I don't know that I could ever be happy living there now after being away for so many years. I want to remember it as it was before it got so overly crowded.

I did live there during the Watts fires and issues - my first daughter was born prematurely Jan 1966 and had to be transferred to the Childrens Hospital in Hollywood. I lived in Paramount at the time so had to drive to the hospital every other day to visit her for 3 weeks. When she was able to come home I still had to drive her in for the doctors to check how she was doing. It was very scary to be a young mother with a very ill baby and having to drive so close to the area.
wow, our oldest daughter was born in Cantinela in 1959. I didn't even realize it was there in the 40s. Small world.

Nita

Old 06-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"I've gotta drop the kids off at the plunge." That just don't sound right, Nita.
I hadn't heard the word in maybe 40 or more years. It does sound a little strange..like plunge into what?

Nita

Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
wow, our oldest daughter was born in Centinela in 1959.
You just missed my sister, who was born there in '57. I was born in Daniel Freeman in '55, grandma.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM

336 posts, read 1,220,252 times
Hey now - no grandma jokes. ha ha I too remember calling it the "plunge". Why didn't we just call them pools???

Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't have much room to talk, as I'm a grandpa x2.

To address your question: Uhhhh, I dunno.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM

13,859 posts, read 13,539,572 times
Quote:
I hadn't heard the word in maybe 40 or more years. It does sound a little strange..like plunge into what?
A plunge = "a place or area, such as a swimming pool, for diving or plunging" (yourDictionary.com). I always thought it meant a pool that was open to the public. (BTW, we used to ride our bikes to that Thrifty on the corner of Mission and Fair Oaks and get an ice cream cone for 5 cents afterward.)

There's still a plunge in Culver City.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM

14,022 posts, read 16,939,432 times
L.A. in the 50's and 60's: smog worse, everything else better: top notch school system, top notch Univerisity of California, top notch standards for hiring in the LAPD. This was before political correctness.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A plunge = "a place or area, such as a swimming pool, for diving or plunging" (yourDictionary.com). I always thought it meant a pool that was open to the public. (BTW, we used to ride our bikes to that Thrifty on the corner of Mission and Fair Oaks and get an ice cream cone for 5 cents afterward.)

There's still a plunge in Culver City.
yep, 5 cent or for 10 we got 2 huge scoops. Of course a lot of money then was $15,000 or $20,000 a year and homes were about $25,000 to maybe $30,000 in the So Pasa area.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or